The Owners - FSG

Goes something like this then:

‘FSG are fucking shit, I want them to spend more money and I don’t know what the fuck they’re doing because I have not much of a clue myself.’

Then after said writer has jotted down these nuggets, this appears:

‘I’ve always had my misgivings about FSG as custodians of the Club and whether they have the wherewithal to compete with the money clubs. Most of the fans I have spoken to over the years have expressed their wish that FSG would loosen the purse strings and go all out a bit more to get a stellar name or two into the squad. For me, I can’t really see a way forward with them at the helm and it’s difficult to discern a clear long term strategy that will be able to compete with the amounts being spent in the league.’

4 Likes

Was it Evergrande that was reported to be trying to buy us a couple of seasons ago?

$310 billion! I thought Barca was bad.

1 Like

Don’t trust anything about money coming out of China.

Does that means whenever Blue Manc and Chelsea coming over, we will repurpose them as well? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Bild

Rummenigge mentioned Liverpool when asked whether Haaland can replace Robert Lewandowski at the Bavarian club.

“With Lewandowski you have the best centre forward in the world. Haaland is the second best,” Rummenigge said.

“I think Bayern are interested in Robert staying beyond the end of contract in 2023. Haaland is an investment. I don’t think he’s going to Liverpool. I know the owner very well and he is not known for opening the (money) box.”

*“For Haaland, I wouldn’t rule Real [Madrid] out. Maybe they’ll open the box a little more in the summer and possibly get Haaland and Kylian Mbappé.”

1 Like

As far as I can recall, I think it was China Everbright/Everbright Securities Co Ltd.

1 Like

But when he does open the money box it’s usually a wise move. He doesn’t panic buy like a lot of them.

1 Like

You mean refusing to sign a 4th center back last season is not a panic buy. And then an injury to all 3 of them leads to a January panic loan of two guys. Smart.

A “panic loan”…that’s a new one. What would have been the smart play?

A Not bother bringing in Kabak on loan in January after long-term injuries to our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice central defenders
B Invest in a reliable crystal ball in August 2020
C In August 2020, divert £30m of our finite transfer budget to buying a 4th choice centre back - someone not bothered about being so far down the pecking order they’re unlikely to play.

It’s B, isn’t it?

6 Likes

Not to mention, we quite clearly have been after Konaté for a while now, which suggests we wanted to wait for him.

2 Likes

To be honest I’m disgusted that we haven’t gone for B. Would really help with our recruiting too; sort it out FSG! Find the money for a crystal ball John Henry you tight bastard

7 Likes

C In August 2020, divert £30m of our finite transfer budget to buying a 4th choice centre back - someone not bothered about being so far down the pecking order they’re unlikely to play - you just explained the signing of Konate for 36 mln. pounds.
Why they signed Konate, when they could do with option B as you suppose?

If you think that our financial and CB situation in May 2021 was the same as it was in August 2020 then I don’t know what to say.

4 Likes

Easy to say in hindsight but back then after 3 months of lost revenue and uncertainty prevailing as to if and when supporters would be allowed back to stadiums, I was more than happy with the compromise between Fabinho as an emergency CB back-up and adding Thiago and Jota. It seemed like a risk worth taking. What followed was unpredictable and arguably inevitable even if we had got a 4th CB. It was that kind of a season. Your argument is more valid for this past summer when it was known that finances would return to normal sooner rather than later and yet still we didn’t move for another forward.

That said, I never understood the argument that we shouldn’t strengthen the squad because whoever came in wouldn’t be first choice. By that logic more than half the players in the team shouldn’t have been acquired. Every player who ends up on the books has a role to play and something to contribute, regardless of how far down the pecking order he is.

1 Like

Well, it is obvious that this season our center back situation was and is much better - we have/had Philips and Rhys Williams /loaned out after the signing of Konate/ as 4th and 5th option who played a lot of matches in the PL. And VvD, Gomez, Matip.

Last season we had 3 center backs and options only from midfield. Like Fabinho who gave an interesting interview today - “I hope not. Not for me playing in the defence, but I hope the players don’t have the injuries they had last season. When someone is out, let it be by cards, not by injury.

If it wasn’t for Klopp and his genius this season we would watch Europe League or Conference league football.

Speaking about financial situation - looks like we are the only team with financial problems. Teams such as Palace, Brighton, Everton, Villa /even without European football/ outspend us regularly /not only in the COVID-19, but years before when the club made 100 mln. pounds profit/.

This season even Arsenal spent 150+ mln. pounds. Also Spurs,Leicester, Leeds, West Ham also spent more than LFC. Looks like only LFC is in a financial crisis.

City, Chelsea and Manure are not in the conversation. They are miles ahead with their spending power.

Guys, that was last summer :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Just casually forgetting the long term contracts just dished out. That’s millions and millions of quid contracted down for the peak years of the spine of our team. That’s not free.

7 Likes

Although even after buying Lukaku, Chelsea have made a net profit this summer due to player sales

If it wasn’t for Klopp we probably wouldn’t be turning our nose up at the Europa League.

1 Like