The Owners - FSG

I think we just agree to disagree and move on.

I don’t know who we could get as I’m not a scout. I don’t watch much footie beyond LFC as I don’t have time.

If we don’t get anyone I’ll just be disappointed but hope we have a bit of luck with injuries and can reach our goals regardless.

2 Likes

Transfer Activity:

5 years (£)
Liverpool -108.07 (13th highest spend across current clubs in the league)
Spurs -204.08
Chelsea -263.69
Arsenal -305.9
United -499.68
City -564.71

10 years (€)
Spurs -168.02
Liverpool -336.36 (5th highest spend across current clubs in the league)
Arsenal -469.51
Chelsea -498.44
United -945.85
City -1,022.19

I was searching back through this thread and couldn’t find it, how does this new relationship with Red Ball Capital factor into all this? Or does it not?

1 Like

Sokratis. Would you have him?

Is that net spend?

1 Like

Must be borne in mind those figures probably don’t include agents’ fees and players’ wages and signing bonuses.

2 Likes

For anybody.

2 Likes

Not with hindsight, but I doubted the wisdom of signing a full back from hull a few years ago.

2 Likes

Yes, it would be.

2 Likes

I don’t understand what that has to do with us trying to find a centre back now.

The team did brilliant to pluck a £100m from Hull for £8m. That does not automatically mean the same deal is there for a centre back from, say, West Brom - especially in a January market where West Brom would struggle to replace him.

Personally, I think there is a real shortage of Centre Backs in general.

1 Like

The point was more in relation to naming potential purchases which seems a common theme in here as if it somehow proves a point.

Firstly any potential name can be talked down as not right/ not available or price incorrectly.

Secondly, I’d never have thrown out Andy Robertson from hull as an answer, and if I had, let’s face, would have had plenty of people talking me down…

4 Likes

Just to further say, if redbj on TAN could seriously name a target that our sporting department has missed, it’d be one sad state of affairs.

I simply don’t watch enough football to answer the question appropriately.

5 Likes

As far as I’m aware, there is, as yet, no new relationship. Negotiations between Red Ball & FSG are apparently ongoing.

Exactly how any deal might directly benefit Liverpool (if at all) will remain unclear until details (of the deal) are published.

1 Like

I doubt many people would have thrown Andy’s name out there. I certainly thought he would be decent back up, but we needed to get a proper starter.

But if the recruitment team have a track record of pulling diamonds out of the rough like that, and they have not pulled a centre back out of their arses, why does it then follow that people are not doing their jobs properly (being negligent, arrogant etc) rather than there isn’t something.

You either think the recruitment team are really good, or you don’t. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t laud the strategy when it’s pulling in amazing players on a pittance, and then criticise it when it concludes there is nothing out there.

To me, the fact we are capable of getting players from relegation clubs and turning them into superstars and we have not got a centre back in suggests that there simply is not a deal to be done.

I still think we might get in Sokratis as short term cover, but I don’t think he’s very good. That’s what short term cover, on a shoestring, during a pandemic looks like.

3 Likes

Also, if someone could direct me how to raise a billion through a pipe that’d be handy, ta. I’ve got a couple lying around so I’d definitely share some of the loot around after I’ve made it.

1 Like

It’s not my job to tell you how to make a billion through a pipe. But I refuse to believe a billion can’t be made through a pipe, and that’s enough for me to kick off all over the internet.

2 Likes

That isn’t the problem though is it? Klopp isn’t saying there’s nobody out there he’s saying the money isn’t there to bring anyone in. We can’t know what’s out there (although who would you buy and unreliable threads are chock full of realistic names) but it’s ridiculous to say there’s nobody. Mainz are in such a bad state they let their star striker go on a loan to buy to Crystal Palace. Nobody could have honestly predicted that could they? But our recruitment team should/could know information like that about clubs! But doesn’t matter what information they know if they’ve been told to not spend any money.

1 Like

Different people are saying different things.

The money most definitely isn’t there. That’s obvious.

Would you take Socratis? I’ve asked a couple of times now. He is the only one that is realistically available.

The only names I’ve seen suggested are players we obviously can’t bring in, like Upamecano.

No. Although (as bad as he is) he would be an improvement over some of our options we are now relying on which says something for how bad the situation is. And he isn’t. He’s the only one YOU know for definite is available.

Are scouts allowed to enter other grounds to watch players that LFC wants to pick up?

We may have players lined up, but without scouts continuously monitoring the players, it created some kind of problems for us to get the proper players to fill in the gaps, or long-term planning.

:man_shrugging: