The Owners - FSG

Shaky start to the season and numerous injuries. Major hangover after last season.

Do we need renewal? Yes
Do we need to spend? Yes

But to say the model no longer works requires us to be mid table for a couple of seasons. And if thats what you need to prove yourself correct then there is no hope for you.

1 Like

Surely the word “prone” implies that they’re frequent occurrences rather than just something that happens once or twice out of bad luck, or am I misunderstanding something?

There’s a difference between players like Sturridge, for whom it seemed like their bodies physically couldn’t handle the load of top-level football anymore, compared to players like Gomez who just can’t catch a break in terms of the way he accrues his injuries (basically getting battered by opponents).

I’d argue that on his Arsenal record at least, it does seem like that for Oxlade-Chamberlain, but focusing narrowly on his time with us, he’s missed 90 games over 5 seasons (excluding his latest one because that’s solely this incomplete season, which he could well spend completely uninjured for the rest of it, or broken completely, or somewhere in between). That’s around 18 games a season, or your average. But he’s also had 2 major injuries contribute to that, missing 63 games from those combined. Both of which were due to tackles (see this for the second one). I’m not sure how much of that you can attribute to his physical condition as opposed to his bad luck, much like Jones.

Our coaching and medical teams won’t be looking at such players as “injury-prone”. They’re more likely to look at their injury history, evaluate their conditions, and then determine what they think the probability of these players staying fit is. If the causes are just bad luck, then I don’t think they’re going to be ruling a player out.

I was referring specifically to people who state it as categorical fact, not someone who caveats it as their opinion. Maybe I should clarify that I was using the first part of my post to lead on to the second, and that I did not have any specific post or person in mind at that point in time when talking about the categorical declarations.

I know a popular argument is that City played close to the same number of games that we did last season, so our injury list is more an aberration than theirs. That however neglects the fact that we did it coming off a season when much like this one, virtually everyone was broken. That compounded into last season, when we basically found ourselves out of midfielders for most of the first half of the season, although most seem to have forgotten that. It means that by the pure bad luck of that timing, we had much worse wear on the ones who did indeed play.

If you look at the perception of whose levels have dropped off the most since last season, a common recurring theme seems to be that our spine is failing. Which shouldn’t be surprising to many, since those players in the spine are the same ones who played the most minutes in the last few seasons and would therefore be suffering the most from this.

I haven’t read the article by Simon Hughes, but I can already see it’s been the subject of much misinterpretation and misrepresentation (not by yourself necessarily), so I will have to find time to read it myself. I am however wary of reading too much into it as my prior belief is that contrary to what many think, there isn’t that much access that journalists have into the club for information, so I didn’t prioritise it for reading.

What would you then say about the fact that he was indeed fit for the entirety of last season and did play substantial minutes, although very often in a more Milner-like role of fitting in everywhere? I think if we thought he wasn’t good enough for us at all anymore we would have shuffled him out in the summer to bring someone in, but the coaching team thought he had something to offer us. Given what our focus seems to be now, which is involving the midfield more in creating goals, I think he has much to offer us, just like Keïta.

I agree with the broad point you are making, but it’s worth remembering that Salah and Mane were signed prior to PSG fucking the transfer market.

The baseline for a forward player of their starting quality is probably about 60m now (which is what Diaz cost)

I think it’s also worth remembering that FSG will drop serious money on a player if we’re convinced it’s a transformational signing - see Alisson, Van Dijk, Nunez, Keita.

4 Likes

The FSG model of running the club has worked wonders,anyone who thinks they’ve done badly or got it wrong has fallen into the media trap of making you think we are on the same level as our main competitors,when financially we are almost worlds apart.

The fact that we have competed with Man Cheaty and big spenders United and Chelsea,only tells you how well they’ve done under the circumstances,it’s only now after 5/6 years of winning every trophy on offer to us,that we are seeing a drop off in competing with them,when we are in the middle of whats looking like a much needed squad rebuild,brining in youth,replacing aged nailed on starters and offloading constantly injured players.

Unless we have the funds of a Cheaty,United or Newcastle we were always going to see some kind of drop off in competing as we can’t always replace top quality and world class players seamlessly in our first 11 and on the bench like they can,year on year.

It amazes me that we’ve been able to do what we’ve done over the last 6 years,and still be able to run the club properly and self sustained.

6 Likes

100%

2 Likes

please do, because we all should know by now that the club cannot pull unlimited wealth from thin air. If you’re the type to expect the owners to go into their own pockets every year to supplement player purchases because we aren’t winning 95% of our games, then maybe you’re not supporting the right kind of club. Maybe PSG/City/Newcastle and what Roman’s Chelsea was…is more your kind of club. because that’s how they operate.

it’s incredibly hypocritical to support a club that prides itself on fair play and ethics like this club claims to, and then expect them to “fight fire with fire” and try to play the sportswashing game.

How much did Citeh pay for Grealish, and how many minutes has he played? How many minutes has Mendy played lately?

if those type of signings happened at LFC, the fume in places like RAWK would be incendiary.

5 Likes

I think it must not be missed that it might simply not be a matter of not being able to compete with them spending-wise, but also that the diminishing returns of spending at the top end are quite significant. Large spends rarely have the impact hoped for, only Haaland seems to have made that much of a success with regards to that since Virgil.

3 Likes

It’s a good piece that gives insight into how complicated the process of player preparation can be. In that light it is a very process focused piece, with lots of allusions to those complications, and dissatisfaction among most of their sources, being a negative thing. It leaves almost as an afterthought that the thing they all were dissatisfied with, Kornmayer’s authority, actually worked. It’s one of those things you can really spin the take home message to fit your prior.

What a lot of people seem to have taken from it is our lack of team doctor is why we’re having injuries. That really isn’t the domain of the club doctor though and it’s actually made pretty clear in the piece that it isnt so it’s a take that seems to be explained by people grasping for an easy to solve explanation for what is happening this season.

3 Likes

And to go back to my original point (using the article) which was an ever revolving door in the medical team seems to have caused a very unstable environment which could be a reason for the mounting injury problems we’ve been having.

Not having a club doctor is just another factor of the medical set up not being a cohesive unit but certainly not the main point of focus.

I do help we can conclude our search in the World Cup period.

1 Like

James Pearce said interviews are well underway and an appointment isn’t far away.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MichaelWarbur17/status/1585624039808290816?s=20&t=OJ7cBOoJe_Dv4rDXbvGkzg

1 Like

I don’t know. I might have to read it again, but it seemed to me the bulk of what was covering developments from previous seasons. That might be used to explain injury issues from those periods, but not now. As I said in my previous post, it seems to give very little focus to the outcome of it, that Kornmayer has established himself somewhat outside of the medical teams and has primary authority over how the players are used. The piece seems to begrudgingly acknowledge that the process their sources dont like has actually been successful and that his methods work.

It isnt stated explicitly, but what it seems to (maybe even unconsciously) point to was that in squeezing more out the group last season than most thought was possible he squeezed some past the point of return. And that is less an issue of lack of medical oversight on the physical preparation, and more the issue of burning a fire intensely makes it burn out more quickly.

This then brings us back to the conversation of player turn over…we miscalculated by trying to go again with a group that has simply been squeezed too much already. Some will take issue with FSG not making the funds available to retool, but that is always done based on what the football people determine needs to be done. I struggle to see past the primary issue being a miscalculation by Klopp on how viable this group was to go again, in this weird season, on the back of last season’s efforts (albeit, likely influenced by what he thought of his budget).

4 Likes

Yes the bottom paragraph is/was my point, collectively it seems we missed in the last window. From refreshing to fitness, it’s been reported multiple times we upped the intensity again which appears to have back fired, could this be Kornmayer’s increased responsibilities finally coming back to bite us in he overpromised and broke the squad…

1 Like

Has he over learned the lesson that asking more from players gets more results? If he’s spent a couple of years dealing with doubts from within the club about pushing them too hard and expecting too much out them and been shown to be right, did that make him blind to the line where he was actually asking too much?

It’s all conjecture, but if I had to put money on what the primary cause of these issues are this season I’d put it at Klopp and Kornmayer collectively over rating their ability to get this group to rally and go again. I have absolutely no doubt at all, that had Klopp and Ward decided in April that Naby and Ox were done and Thiago and Hendo were damaged that FSG would have made sure the money was there to do something about it. That likely doesnt mean outbidding Real, but does mean our shopping would have been funded to follow a different approach than being content to wait until next year to spend the budget.

3 Likes

100% but impossible to ever know! Hopefully whatever did happen we’ve made strong plans starting Jan to rectify.

2 Likes

My guess is that they decided that KeĂŻta and Oxlade-Chamberlain were going to be able to help us even out the minutes and so reduce our reliance on Fabinho, Henderson, and Thiago.

It’s part of why I keep banging on and on about how the medical and physio teams would probably actually evaluate their physical conditions and decide based on that how much they were able to contribute. Given that one just went an entire season with 1500+ minutes without any injuries, and the other managed 2000+ minutes despite getting injured from a tackle, it’s not too far a stretch.

Having read that article, I’m not seeing much substantive apart from innuendo about the backroom, like @Limiescouse said.

Based on what I’ve laid out above, I’m not convinced we’ll make any moves in January, unless a Diaz-like situation arises, i.e. an opportunity to get a player we want in early. Arthur ought to be back by then, and I don’t think the club would be very keen on sending him back.

1 Like

Plus Naby and Ox will be back to full fitness by then so we can rely on them to play heavy minutes.

1 Like

Invest big money in the midfield or sell up.

1 Like