The Owners - FSG

That I’m not sure of, other than natural inflation in commercial, player sales revenues or increased monies from getting back to CL football etc but Boehly’s background is Hedge Fund or VC isn’t it so I wouldn’t be that surprised if the strategy is the same?

We are simply waiting to see if he will be swimming naked when the tide goes out.

It is, but I think the red flag is the business model for this is about securing returns for investors, something that often does not require working in the interests of the long term viability for the assets acquired and is sometimes even directly at odds with that.

3 Likes

For anyone thinking FSG bids were a publicity stunt…not sure many here do…Brightons CEO said LFC were excellent during talks for Moses.

https://twitter.com/Watch_LFC/status/1691395075815694336?s=20

3 Likes

The 1 thing they could have handled better was to contact the players agent to enquire if they would be interested in joining us as that would have given the impression if a bid is worthwhile or a waste of time if the player has already made up their mind where their next club is going to be.

Pyrex went bankrupt?!

The club were given that assurance, I’m not sure there is much else that could have been done here.

1 Like

Yeah, or at least the parent company did. It was the same company that owned Instapot and they were bought by an investment group and loaded with debt in an attempt to expand the instapot line. But people dont need 3 instapots, that’s the entire point of them. Eventually the pandemic fueled growth in the market stopped, but they still had debt tied to them that required continued growth that just was not there and they eventually sunk under the weight of it. But like other solid companies who have gone down recently, the owners will still somehow have already taken their profits and will walk away in a good position while someone is left to pick up the pieces.

1 Like

Other than maybe not go all in on a player notorious for having difficult representation in a situation where we knew there were other parties involved to play each other against. I dont necessarily blame the club for having given it a go, but it was always a big risk.

Yes, it always depended on the player having changed his mind over his preference for Chelsea or Brighton standing firm against any future Chelsea bid. A fairly unique situation for the club to get involved in but with a lot of upside if it had worked.

It probably boiled down to us not fancying Lavia at the quoted price and having Caicedo as our top rated midfielder. Once we got an assurance from the agent that Liverpool was possible we moved on it. The risk was worth it in our eyes because we probably didn’t see a breakthrough with Lavia coming and we didn’t really want him at the 50m+add ons that Southampton refused to budge on.

I think we may go back in to the market for another younger player of a similar profile to Lavia. It seems unlikely we have another first team starter on our list of targets, or I think we would have heard of it by now.

I’m just going to say it: I would like to see Trent play as an actual midfielder. Forget the fucking CDM market which Chelsea wants to clearly take every player from, and lets go all out for a RB.

We haven’t been in the situation for a while where we are seen from the outside as a team probably on the decline and outside the CL places. We are seeing how much that hurts right now. Fucking Chelsea…Chelsea!! seen as a more ideal destination because they are throwing outrageous wage packages at everyone. At the end of the day if you are outside the CL places, how much money you throw at a problem is the ultimate deciding factor.

Yes I can see doing that as a potential solution also.

I’d rather go all in on a CB and go with a 343.If we just want to get Trent into midfield IN A 433 then either Gomez or Bradley can cover at RB using Trent in the RM position.

Oh, Im sure it did. I agree with your take over the different tracks these two players had in our plans and how we approached them. But it doesnt change that we made a priority a player with a notoriously difficult representation situation and did so in a deal that was already messy/tricky. I dont think this is something necessarily worthy of crticism, but I hope to hell they are sitting down to reevaluate every step of the process that led them to this outcome.

5 Likes

I hope Piero Hincapie wasn’t hoping to play for us one day, because I’m guessing we will be extremely reluctant to ever go through that agent again.

2 Likes

Just like we never did business with Mino Raiola.

So why was/is John Henry in the UK?

The rumour is that he came to have a meeting with the Premier League about Chelsea’s spending but if that’s true I doubt its the entire reason. There must be some awareness that we need to get a permanent Sporting Director in. Maybe there is some leadership needed to get that done.

1 Like

Going to see a play apparently

Anyone know any plays called Juliet? Since Chelsea just signed Romeo