The R.I.P. thread

Absolutely tragic.

1 Like

As soon as I heard…I thought…no not again…why oh why…

I’ve been listening to Joe Strummer 002, released for the anniversary. The Mescaleros years, which I’d never really delved into, despite adoring Joe/The Clash. His songwriting and especially his humanity shine through on these records. A worthy hero.

https://youtu.be/e9nyi8nBTCE

2 Likes

One half of one of my all-time favourite double acts has passed away:

John Bird, Rest In Peace.

3 Likes

Aw damn. Pele is gone.

The giant of the game gets his own thread here RIP First Football King Pelé

4 Likes

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: RIP First Football King Pelé

Very unique lady.
RIP

6 Likes

Another unique creative genius in the fashion world gone. RIP Vivienne Westwood.

1 Like

2 icons passing away on the same day, at near enough the same age.

This World is crazy.

2 Likes

Wrestling was a big part of my childhood, and the commentary duo of Don West and Mike Tenay played a big part in my route into Wrestling (talking the good old days, not the PG stuff you see now). So very saddened by this. RIP Don West.

1 Like

The former Pope Benedict XVI dies at 95:

BBC News - Former Pope Benedict XVI dies at 95

2 Likes

RIP former Pope Benedict.

1 Like

If there is an almighty he may well have to answer for his covering up of sexual abuse scandals…

Former pope Benedict admits making false claim to child sexual abuse inquiry | Pope Benedict XVI | The Guardian

2 Likes

Frank McGarvey: Former Celtic, St Mirren and Scotland forward dies aged 66 - Frank McGarvey: Former Celtic, St Mirren and Scotland forward dies aged 66 - BBC Sport

I can’t remember him being at Anfield.

4 Likes

From Wikipedia:
McGarvey‘s form attracted the attention of Bob Paisley and, in May 1979, McGarvey signed for Liverpool for £270,000. However, his tenure with the club lasted only 10 months. Unable to break into the first team, he sought a transfer. Liverpool accepted a bid of £270,000 by Celtic in March 1980, and for a short time McGarvey became Scotland’s most expensive footballer.

It gives a Central League championship amongst his honours so he must have been in our reserves.

4 Likes

I remember him being a fairly prolific goal scorer for Celtic.
RIP

2 Likes

He was extremely prolific in the Bow and Arrow.

Anita Pointer of the Pointer Sisters Dies at 74, RIP.

3 Likes

Barry Lane dies. 62 way too young.

Years ago, it would have been 1994-95, I was in Phoenix, watching the Phoenix Open. Everyone was cheering for Mickelsen and Furyk, but I was loudly cheering for Barry Lane, who was in contention.

As he walked past he stopped to chat to me for a second, and said, “It’s nice to have some support here, so far away from home.”

RIP Barry Lane.

8 Likes

Anne Frank, Martin Luther King and Barbara Walters were all born in the same year.

4 Likes