The Run In Thread

Followed by @ubermick driving him to the airport :grinning:

1 Like

For me I’d prefer Leicester to get CL over Chelsea, they are already making their moves and it doesn’t appear they are targetting the players we will be… Chelsea could easily be going after Konate, Sancho etc.

4 Likes

It’s nice to be nice, and a warm round of applause for a long career is merited.

Digging slightly deeper, I don’t fully buy the nice guy Roy Hodgson thing. That’s definitely the persona, and to people in the wider game he is an affable chap. I think I see something more than that.

I see a man who can be arrogant and bitter, too. I see a man who has had a very long career, but the two main big jobs that come to mind - Liverpool and England - were ones where he fell well short. If I’m being brutal in my assessment, I see him as an over-promoted PE teacher, who scrubs up nice in a blazer, so he won’t let you down at a formal event, but as for the actual sporting substance, it’s not quite there.

Long career. Moves in all the right circles with the top brass in the various governing bodies. But definitely a step down from being a top class manager.

He might not know that he’s not top class - that’s where the arrogance is evident. But we as Liverpool fans who have ‘suffered’ under his work sure as heck know it - and that’s where the bitterness is evident.

Edit:
It’s possible he is bitter over the circumstances at Liverpool too, as I’m sure he imagined he would be successful, but he fell well short, and to my mind, just didn’t ‘get’ us.

6 Likes

First time I hear this assesment of Roy, arrogant never ever came across my mind.

Obviously I don’t know him, but my feeling was always that he’s one of the nicest fellas in the game, full of respect. Maybe even too nice sometimes. As a manager, I believe he’s better than people give him credit for. His career wasn’t only Liverpool and England.

It was nice hearing Klopp’s views on him in today’s presser.

Sorry for going off topic!

3 Likes

Bitter, yes, but arrogant! My problem is, the image of Hodgson always brings the image of Allardyce. So in my book, Roy is always a supremely suave person.

“Unbelievable. What do you mean by that? In 35 years, how many clubs have I had? What do you mean do my methods translate? They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting. To suggest that because I have moved from one club to another, that the methods which have stood me in good stead for 35 years and made me one of the most respected coaches in Europe don’t suddenly work is very hard to believe.”

Yeah zero arrogance.

4 Likes

Yep. His problems with us, or even with England, are not his fault per se. He was simply promoted above his capabilities by people who didn’t know better. He did the best he could, which was not good enough, but did it with no malice, and anything he wants to say afterwards about not getting a fair shot is water off our backs. There is nothing at all to be gained from not being decent to a guy on what is likely to be his final day in football. But it will not be Clem coming back to Anfield on the final day.

1 Like

He absolutely has a chip on his shoulder about whether his achievements are rated as highly as he thinks they should be. Didn’t you know he won the league in Sweden? I think that is very arrogant, and a reflection of his limitation, that he thinks that sort of thing is evidence of his suitability for big jobs.

4 Likes

Maybe felt he was badly treated in the media and by the fans like a footballing dinosaur or a nobody, I can understand that. I’m absolutely fine with Roy.

1 Like

He absolutely did, but in the same way I feel badly treated by Apple not making me CEO when Jobs stood down.

3 Likes

So nice that he wouldn’t dismiss the idea of United poaching Torres from Liverpool. They were after all managed by his buddy Ferguson.

4 Likes

Umm, guys, we have a thread for him :blush:

1 Like

Listening to TAW on this. One interesting point. Much better to have Leicester in the CL next season than Chelsea. Possible later stage opponents.

2 Likes

Think we should for now concentrate on ourselves. Imagine if we beat Burnley and then bottle it on matchday 38. We need to focus.

What they do tonight is not in our hands. It does not change a lot for us.

2 Likes

Yep, Im buying this. Im really on the fence about what results gives us the best chance of qualifying (I think a Leicester win), but if we extend this out to the consequences of which teams qualify, keeping Chelsea out of the mix would be brilliant.

C’mon Leicester.

3 Likes

Chelsea in the CL as England’s 5th team would be more preferable.

2 Likes

Apart from his short spell with us, which was a train wreck of the highest order, I have no problem with him neither. He did a fine job almost everywhere he went.

Inter Milan and us are probably the two only jobs which proved too big for him. Oh yeah, and England, but that’s a poisoned chalice at all times and under any circumstances.

Yep, come on BR! Almost feels good to be saying that again. Can’t help it, THAT win against City.

3 Likes

Destroying Spurs and Arsenal too…

1 Like

I’d quite like to see Klopp absolutely destroy a Tuchel led Chelsea in the Champions league next season

6 Likes