The Run In Thread

Yep it’s going to be tough. Have to beat Burnley and hopefully won’t need to beat Palace by too many.

2 Likes

Have to win both games. That’s the mindset. Could be very nerve wrecking.

2 Likes

I don’t particularly worry about Palace, they are essentially a punching bag for big teams this season. If we can’t score more than 2 goals against them, we deserve to miss CL.

Burnley, OTOH, will be quitetough.

2 Likes

Can’t stand Hodgson tbh but he did coach the original Ronaldo and that alone deserves respect.

In the 5 games in which he took charge during the end of the 98/99 season he certainly gave him a valuable lesson in how to lose whilst scoring (Inter lost 3 of those 5 games despite Ronaldo scoring 5 times).

7 Likes

I think the will/focus/motivation factor is often overexaggerated by us fans, in terms of expecting a result only because of it.

WBA was a great fresh example. I was incredibly happy for Ali’s winning goal, but also pretty angry with the overall quality of our performance. Not enough performers. Not shocked though, these games are often more difficult than expected. Who could’ve said that they’re already relegated? 20 years specifically watching Liverpool (I’m sure it’s not the only example our there) brings more than enough lessons like that.

Wanting it more (or being “horny”, as van Gaal would say!) sometimes isn’t enough and in these final moments it can even lead to very nervous performances which affects the quality of our game. The amount of inaccurate passes we played in the final 3rd was really bad. Think back to Chelsea in 2014 as well, we didn’t create a single proper chance. Suarez was nowhere to be seen that day. Hidden somewhere in Chelsea’s deep block.

Of course they know what’s at stake and they want it just like we do, they’ll try and be totally focused, but there are also other elements and it’s still our season, a number of issues are still there and won’t go away.

I’d say, yes, be hungry because it’s natural to be so in this moment, but also be smart over the quality of our game.

8 Likes

By simply qualifying for the Champions League, and not including the prize money for wins and draws, or assuming qualification beyond the group stages, simply appearing in the group stage would be worth £58m to Liverpool.

[liverpool echo]

2 Likes

On the flip side because “Dyche hates Klopp” won’t mean they will be any better than against Leeds.

1 Like

:thinking:

The year we won the CL our total financial windfall was around (I think) £70m. So, either Echo has got it wrong or financial bonanza has been improved.

1 Like

UEFA afraid of the Super League. :wink:

2 Likes

Not sure that is right. I thought it was over £100m , and the year before was also significantly over £70m?

2 Likes

I have dug this up, don’t know how accurate.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/how-much-money-champions-league-2019-20-winners-get/1b78sfes1al5k1cxve9ld1wp48

I heard some analyst say that “The team that won UEFA Europa CUP got 20 million whereas the team that qualified for Champions League won 70 million”. Shows the importance of qualification. That’s like one extra 50 million transfer.

1 Like

I’m probably including TV money on top of the prize money as part of that financial windfall…

3 Likes

But the team that wins the Europa League also qualifies for the Champions League don’t they?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure a few years ago the prize money for winning the Europa was comparable to a group stage appearance in the CL?

The gulf between the two competitions, just like the gulf between the premier league and the championship, is the root cause of footballs problems.

3 Likes

A typical winner, a club that starts with group stage, will earn around 17mil.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/how-much-money-do-europa-league-2019-20-winners-get/meutfpowb2kr1p757syy3cdzk

Nasty injury for Eze, sounds like a long layoff. The one player from CP that worried me, and that I would like in our squad.

TH, losing, not sure how I feel. A WHam win means TH must go for a win against LC. I don’t know if more pressure is good for them/us.

1 Like

Spurs 59 Points
Arsenal 58 Points

Chance of trophy for Spurs in the final game. Surely can’t fck it up now! Right?

3 Likes

Spurs truly awful tonight. I can’t see them getting anything against Leicester :frowning:

1 Like