The Run In Thread

I need to know what it is? What’s in your hand? Come on, you can trust me.

2 Likes

So, it ended well afterall. I really didn’t think it would, just too many things working against us. Too many injuries, and very little time to basically drill a new team. And I was fine with it - kind of.

A few weeks ago I mostly just wanted the season to end. I still enjoyed watching the games, but the results didn’t really matter to me. I had accepted this was one of those seasons where shit kept happening.

And now here we are, the boys getting it done once again. Tremendous achievement, given the circumstances. I was more nervous yesterday than during the CL final, Mane’s 2-0 goal easily felt just as sweet as Origi’s back then. Different situation, same feelings.

11 Likes

While I didn’t question the players’ motivations or work ethic, I have to say I wondered if there was a slight mental letdown from getting across the line that was exacerbated by injuries, VAR, and general shit luck. That being said, you look back to Barcelona 2019, even before we had really won anything, Kompany had just scored the banger and it looked like we were going to a funeral procession of a second leg, but then they turned it around when no one gave them a chance. Birth of the mentality monsters. This season, to think that they were down and out after the Fulham home game, and then seemed to throw it away against Leeds and Newcastle, and then needing to go to Old Trafford and win 4 of 4 — no one gave them much of a chance, least of all myself, but they believed and pulled it together, and the iconic figures are two young kids who were completely unproven at this level (among many others). A remarkable achievement.

2 Likes

Excellent post. That is 2 points from 24. Looking at the teams who came and bested us, 20 points from those 24 would not have been an unrealistic expectation. To put that into perspective, we would have won the league or at least forced a decent challenge.

3 Likes

That one had me in stitches, excellent! :rofl: :+1:t2:

Our away form this season was fine. Even during that terrible period between Christmas and March we still won 3 of our 6 away games. It’s at Anfield where it all went wrong. 24 points dropped at home this season. Last season we dropped 2.

4 Likes

It’s no coincidence that the team accustomed to playing home games without atmosphere suffered least.

7 Likes

That makes sense. Teams play more defensively at Anfield. We have difficulty breaking defensive sides down without the threat from set pieces that VVD and Matip provide. Thiago was absent or still adjusting during some of that period.

Good point about the set pieces. It’s easy to forget the United game at home in January 2020 since we were leading for ~75 mins, but United arguably started the game on the front foot…James could have played a pass in behind to Martial but got it wrong, and then Virgil cut out a James cross intended for Martial. Of course Virgil then dunked on Maguire for 1-0 and we should have had several more before Mo’s 2-0, but the set piece was really what gave us control. Arsenal at home was a similar situation in that they started decently well. I would be curious to look at that season and see how many of our “first goals” that allowed the floodgates to open were set pieces.

2 Likes

Quoting myself here only to say that I looked into it and, in four of our PL wins last year — Arsenal, Brighton, Man Utd, and Crystal Palace — we scored the first goal from a set piece. Four out of 18 wins with a set piece to break the ice — that’s almost a quarter. I’d like to know how that compared against the league, I’d have to imagine it was one of the best (even if not this year), but it would be doubly impressive if we scored from so many set pieces while fighting against parked buses.

1 Like

Would be interesting to see set-piece openers and go-ahead goals.

2 Likes
15 Likes

I think I achieved that one about once or twice in my entire life.

3 Likes

It was quoted on Sky that this season there have been more away wins than home wins.

2 Likes

Each of those rotating fire things is representing one injury or one bad ref / var decision.

4 Likes

Sliding Doors was a film starring Gwyneth Paltrow in which two consecutive story lines were played. Each showed how her life could turn out differently (Good or Bad) by a chance occurance. Missing getting on to a lift/elevator or a tube train (Hence the sliding door reference). :nerd_face:

4 Likes

I’ll definitely remember this one, thank you! :slight_smile: Come to think of it, I think there’s quite a nice list of such “sliding doors” moments to be made during Klopp’s time, especially during 2016/17.

1 Like

Yip, reminds me of a major and fatal car accident here, they calculated that if the family was a split second quicker or slower, everyone survives.

1 Like

You are saved my friend, 2/3 of these is acceptable… Good! :wink:

7 Likes

And the most important too! Considering all the bad options we’ve ended up with the best results we could over the last few weeks of the season.

Next season we’re coming to reclaim the PL and CL

2 Likes