The Run In Thread

8 wins out of 10. What an amazing run! It seemed impossible, but that was some strong finish. So similar to our run couple of seasons ago. Thankfully this one resulted in something positive.

It’s never over for Liverpool till it’s actually over!

12 Likes

Had to post this here too.[quote=“GermanRed, post:1791, topic:1668, full:true”]

Form table for the last 10 games. Great foundation to go into next season. Be afraid PL, be afraid.
[/quote]

11 Likes

Finishing third and with the fourth best defensive record in the league is a ridiculous achievement after the horrific number of injuries we’ve had, particularly to our 3 main central defenders.

Absolutely brilliant. Well done lads…you’ve actually managed to polish a turd.

17 Likes

6 goals conceded in the last 10 with a backline of Phillips and Williams for the majority is incredible.

If I’m honest this is all down to Klopp and the coaching team getting them right on the training pitch.

18 Likes

After the defensive crisis that we had, only Chelsea, Arsenal and City have conceded less goals than us this season. Fcking crazy!

9 Likes

Not going to lie, I’ve fielded so many Conference League jokes over the past two months, Europa League is so yesterday… I was down and out after the Fulham game, it looked as though one season will dissolve everything that Klopp worked so hard to achieve for the previous four years or so.

When Rafa was the manager, I took CL participation for granted every single year. I mean, there were moments when CL participation wasn’t a given by any means but in my head it was, I didn’t think for one second that the team wouldn’t be in it. After the Fulham game, I completely gave in, and it was compounded by the clusterfuck that was Super League and COVID.

So, it’s no wonder I can’t help but feel as though the team won a big, big trophy today. I remember how happy I was when the lads beat Middlesbrough in 2017, and the next season was the first real CL participation since 2009. Today, it feels more like relief than happiness but it’s a welcome feeling nonetheless. I feel as though there was some sort of natural disaster that hit my home but my house is still standing and everyone’s battered and bruised but ultimately OK. The house needs a few new tiles, a new fence and new windows but the fireplace is still burning.

I haven’t looked up the origin and full meaning of “the sliding doors moment” phrase but I suspect that Nottingham Forest not getting Phillips on loan and Alisson scoring probably count as such. They determined the outcome of the season, it seems, I’d be hard pressed to find the third (maybe Trent scoring the winner against Aston Villa - that goal utlimately helped build some momentum even though it didn’t look like it at the time).

All in all, a painful, cursed season that ended up with some respite. I’m glad to have been proven wrong about the top four finish in the end - I think that this time it’s actually much more than a consolation, Klopp really made sure to hammer that point home.

14 Likes

Swansea :sunglasses:

1 Like

There were fans here who several weeks ago were confidently asserting we would not finish fourth, and I suppose ultimately they were right.

15 Likes

And I think it was a permanent deal, too.

Saw this one on Reddit:

https://streamable.com/bn1p6k#

9 Likes

Maybe they just rolled it in glitter??

:thinking:

2 Likes

That is brilliant!

1 Like

I’ll be honest, pre Leeds, I thought Leeds and Newcastle were must win games because I didn’t see us winning against Utd, WBA and Burnley. Dropping points against them left me thinking we wouldn’t do it. Glad I was wrong.

But as we know from Istanbul, and also from losing to Arsenal in 89, its not over till its over!

7 Likes

After the Leeds game I said I wouldn’t be watching another game this year.

After the Newcastle game I said I wouldn’t be watching another game this year.

After the miracles at OT and the Hawthorns , I still thought we wouldn’t prevail.

After the Burnley game , at least it was in our hands but still I wasn’t entirely convinced we wouldn’t fuck it up.

After yesterday , my journey from doubter to believer was complete.

9 Likes

Between 27th December and 7th March we played 14 PL games and took just 12 points out of a possible 42. 8 of those games were at Anfield. We didn’t win any of them. Lost 6 in a row. We had a run of 7 home games where the only goal we scored was from a penalty.

I thought there was more chance of us finishing 13th than 3rd back then but we got Jota back who at least knows where the goal is. JK started to trust Phillips, and then Williams, and we got Fabinho back into midfield.

Now third seems like a huge achievement. It’s tempting to just write if all off as the COVID season where everything went wrong but there are some lessons learned too I think. The squad needs freshening up. We can’t take risks expecting key players in one position to cover another. Some of the injuries were down to bad luck but the number of minor knocks and strains that kept players out for weeks suggests something wasn’t quite right either in the medical department or in training.

9 Likes

Yes, the squad needs at least 4 new senior players. Klopp deserves a statue that he found way back in such a crazy season. Implementing the inexperienced Williams and Philips, playing with only one forward in form and without the real leaders of LFC - VvD and Henderson for most of the season was tough.

Tiago was out for practically 1/2 of the season thanks to that ugly prick Richarlison. Alisson had injury problems and personal issues. Keita and AOC were injured as always. And Gomez and Matip were injured too, but that is not a big surprise. Trent had an awful start of the season, thanks to COVID-19, but the boy showed resilience and character and stood up to the challenge.
TAA is a future captain and leader to this team.

The club stood still when we had to improve the squad, while making nice profit. We had a very good summer of 2018, but then inspite the huge success on and off the field the club decided to improve the squad aftert two years in 2020 and still we signed a left back, but at the expense of a center back, which is the story for Klopp for the last 3 seasons. Compromising with transfer. We waited for 3 seasons to sign a proper forward to compete with Mo, Sadio and Bobby. Robbo was left as the only option for left back after Moreno left and last season we signed a deputy for our brave Scot, but not a center back and we started the season with Virgil and two injury prone players, while Fab was deemed as the 4th option. Something that proved a huge mistake during the course of the season. Thankfully in the most decisve part of the season Klopp decided to play central defenders in defence and midfielders in midfield and we clicked at the right time.

Reading his words, he wants to improve the squad and he deserves to be backed, bringing the club from mediocrity to grandeur for only 5 seasons.

'Klopp’s words:

‘‘So, whatever we do or not do in the next transfer window, for sure we will not use it as any kind of excuse. We did what we did in the past with the way we did it; when there was money we spent it, when there was no money we didn’t spend it, and here we are. That’s how it is. Yes, I’m very happy with my squad – very, very happy. Could this squad improve? Yes, like each squad could. Is that affordable? I don’t know. Is it necessary? I don’t know. Whatever happens, we will see, I don’t know in this moment, to be honest. We have to make decisions in and out, all these kind of things, it’s normal in a summer.’’

Signing a center back, possibly two midfielders and a forward is a must.

Losing Gini is a huge problem for the manager, surely we lost our fittest player, while there are too many injury prone players that are still part of the squad. Signing Bissouma won’t decide every problem, becuase he is going to play an CAN /for a month next January, together with Keita, Salah and Mane/. We need two midfielders, because Naby and Ox are injury prone, Hendo and Tiago will be 31 next season, Milner will be 36 and Jones is still inexperienced and he allso suffered from injuries this season. And because injuries happen all the time and hopefully the club understand that if we lose Hendo and Tiago for a prolonged period of time /like last season/ we will be in huge trouble.

A forward is needed too, but hopefully not another African player with the stupid timing of CAN.

Ginter, Bissouma, Aouar and Depay /for free/ will be a very good and possible summer. Ginter is a top center back, at 27 he will be a rock at the center of our defence for the next 5-6 season and he won’t be very expensive too. Bissouma and Aouar are also available. Especially that Lyon missed CL for a 2nd consecutive season and they will need money /tha failed TV deal and the huge loan for their empty new stadium/.

100-120 mln. euro for Ginter, Aouar, Bissoma and Depay is very, very possible and will give the manager options and quality.

And the club can reccuperate at least 80 mln. euro from sales - Wilson /10-12 mln. pounds/, Ojo /2-3 mln. pounds/, Taiwo /6-8 mln. pounds/, Shaqiri /10 mln. pounds/, Keita /25-30 mln. pounds/, Minamino /6-8 mln. pounds/, Grabara /2-3 mln. pounds/, Origi /10-15 mln. pounds/, Davies /3-5 mln. pounds/.

4 Likes

It wasn’t in our hands, wasn’t wasn’t wasn’t wasn’t, everyone stop saying it was in our hands damit, it wasn’t, you all beginning to piss me off. Don’t make me get out the calculator. I don’t think I am going to get over this, I’m starting to get a nervous twitch.

6 Likes

The title is in our hands for next season, win all our games we will win it

12 Likes

I’ve got something in my hand…

5 Likes

Ok, I can agree with this one. We could actually draw 1 game.

4 Likes