The Sackrace Thread

I don’t think Spurs will act in a hurry even if results are bad. Moyes is definitely favourite for now.

Agree with the shout for Moyes.

As for Mourinho, we all said he was a busted flush when he went to Spurs. Many said that the usual three year cycle - tightening things up, few signings, maybe a trophy, then falling out with the dressing room and everyone else - would be condensed much shorter, and that’s what it looks like we are seeing.

First to be sacked is an interesting discussion. I have a slightly different idea, chime in if worthy… if not, the idea can die on its arse!

Anyhow, list the Prem managers who will be sacked over the course of the 2020-21 season. I think there will be nine. Here’s my attempt:

Moyes - West Ham (toxic club, seems imminent already)
Mourinho - Spurs (busted flush, bad character)
Solskjaer - Man Utd (not good enough, but couldn’t sack top four last time)
Hodgson - Crystal Palace (might be mutual/retirement to save face)
Rodgers - Leicester (big contract when top three, but finished fifth and won’t match that)
Dyche - Burnley (agricultural football, but the arrangement will sour both sides)
Bruce - Newcastle (decent fella, but it’s a mad house there)
Bilic - West Brom (will struggle near the bottom and they will roll the dice to try to stay up)
Hassenhuttl - Southampton (had that bad run last year but came through, Southampton itchy trigger finger for the manager though)

Edit:
Fat Frank will finish top four and be OK, but the pressure next season will grow on him to win the title, and I think he will be more vulnerable then.

I see it differently.

I think that whilst Chelsea will eventually finish top 4, Frank is gonna struggle early on under the expectation to perform with a load of new signings, a defence that has only strengthened at Left Back, but centrally are still not good enough and with a keeper that if I compared to shit I would be insulting shit.

They will finish the season a lot more strongly, but he will be gone by that point

You might be right, and I certainly won’t shed a tear for him. After he swore at Jurgen on the touch line I will probably enjoy his sacking, should it happen!

I think Frankie will survive this season. But he might be gone if Chelsea isn’t leading the table early in season.

However, with Poch still unemployed, Czar Roman might fancy a new toy.

1 Like

I doubt if Mourinho will get sacked this season. Maybe once the season is over if they haven’t qualified for the EL. He might even survive that as it would probably cost Tottenham too much to sack him. I think Lampard will survive as well as Chelsea should qualify for the CL. With the players he’s got, finishing third shouldn’t be asking too much.

My front runner is still Bilic by a head from Moyes with the dark horse Parker not far behind.

2 Likes

My vote also went for Moyes:
Toxic atmosphere in the club.
Sold one of their supposedly best young players Diangana and then their captain Noble publicly disagreed with that.
Moyes is still a football genius and doing things like subbing out their young right FB in a friendly after less than 30 minutes because of a mistake - must be great for the player’s and team morale.

And then their next six fixtures are: ars, WOL, lei, tot, MCI, liv - can easily see them losing all 6 and Moyes being sacked even before all those are played.

The only - and it’s a faint one - hope for Moyes, is that the owners keep him around in the hope that he’ll be a lightning rod for all the dogs’ abuse from the fans they’d otherwise get themselves.

5 Likes

Interesting shout that.

The only reason I guess West Ham wouldn’t sack Moyes is because they will find it difficult to pay off the compensation. Goes for most teams. Sacking a manager at this climate becomes more risky.

No such qualms for Lamps at Chelsea. He’ll get sacked if he doesn’t finish in the top 2. And a run of 7 games with 3 defeats will mostly sent the trigger happy roman to do what he does best.

2 Likes

Moyes does look a bit precarious I agree.

How much credit has Parker got at Fulham? They really haven’t looked great at all to start with. Got to be one of the favorites to go back down already.

Oddest thing is they look worse than when they went down, to me Brentford bottled it and were by far more suited to coming up.

Fulham had a rather poor season to be fair, but Parker did it, doesn’t surprise me how they have looked, I am sure he will be given til the final international break.

1 Like

:wink:
1 Like

If true, this probably adds further credence to Parker leaving first…

3 Likes

To be fair, the owner put Parker in an awful position with those comments. I get what he was trying to let the fans know they were working hard to improve, but you dont do it like that.

Surely, we’re getting close to when long knives come out. Sheffield United might want to give Chris Wilder the heave ho. I’m sure Klopp would not object.

1 Like

Arsenal are perfect in Europa League. Losing half your PL matches when you have one of the league’s best strikers isn’t so great. A loss to Crystal Palace might begin the pressure, eh? Or does he get a pass this year?

1 Like

Generally I would err on the side of giving Arteta a pass for the season, to a point. There will always be ups and downs, but if you are hiring a young manager who could become very good, it stands to reason that you give him plenty of time, so long as the wheels don’t completely fall off.

The other consideration is who else is available? If someone like Allegri would go there, Arteta might be vulnerable. But generally, I would persist with the young manager, learning in the hot seat, since that is what they chose when they hired him.

1 Like

If Wilder gets the chop I could live with that. Innovative and fresh last season. Getting a bit mouthy now. Why did he mentioned Klopp’s name and say the call for 5 subs was selfish? Ok, Klopp gave some back in the interview after the Brighton game, and I’m torn on whether that was the right thing to do, but since he did it, I back him!

Anyway, Wilder, shut yer trap fella, and work to improve on that solitary point, or you will have plenty of time to spend with the family over Christmas.

5 Likes

Wilder seems well regarded by owner Prince Abdullah but he’s also not in business to lose money, so £££ losses will surely test loyalty.

2 Likes