The Sackrace Thread

I assume no appointment will be made til after the World Cup, I wonder if there eye is more on the league cup.

Just us and I think they keep him.

Sacked while only four points from 11th place in the table. Hardly desperation times. Maybe the board just felt heā€™d run his race.

6 Likes

Itā€™s a bit harsh as he has kept them up. They just slipped into the bottom three but thereā€™s loads of time.

Maybe they are thinking they need someone fresh to come in. They have the break to find him, and then he will have over half a season to steer them to safety.

Southamptonā€™s natural position seems to be around the relegation area, so it remains to be seen if the new man will be any better.

1 Like

We will probably found out how much he elevated them.

I do think there is some league cup thinking in the decision. Evidently they do probably wish for trophies and this is an opportunity on Wednesday. I canā€™t see why youā€™d do it for Liverpool especially after we have Marsch and Cooper such a lovely boost.

Exactly this. A new manager will really need to over-perform on a regular basis to do better than HasenhĆ¼ttl. Iā€™ll miss him, as heā€™s a decent bloke who wants to play football the right way. But thatā€™s director boards at bottom- and mid-table clubs for you: having more and more unrealistic expectations as time goes by.

Iā€™d bet on them going down this season.

2 Likes

Thought he did well with the squads on his hands and lack of better backing most of the time. Saints were awful at the point when they sacked Hughes, they looked like they will go down soon. But Southampton have new people in charge since last summer and maybe want to go with something different. Delicate times for them.

1 Like

Southampton played some good football during his time. But their defending was always a weakness.

3 Likes

Mmmmm, donā€™t like that one bit, players want to proof something to the new manager ā€¦

1 Like

This has been on the cards for a few seasons now.

He has lost by 8 or 9 goals 3 or 4 times, which really should be something that gets addressed after a 2nd time, so for him to have remained beyond those 2 says a lot about the players and the board and how highly they seem to regard Ralph

It has but itā€™s also refreshing to see a manager lasting longer than the average 6 months these days or whatever nonsense it is.

Managers should be given time like Ralph was, like Rodgers is to be turn things aroundā€¦not sacked at the first sight of trouble.

1 Like

Its official

1 Like

Yeah, there have been a LOT of changes behind the scenes since the new owner came in last year. It was under reported, but even Hasenhuttlā€™s coaching staff had been replaced leaving Ralf as basically the only holder over from what they inherited. He has not been well served by the club in terms of what they have given him to work with, but after this long of hanging on, you can the logic in both of them accepting a clean break. Ralf will be fine and will get offers of new jobs and rehab himself a bit. Southampton may not be so lucky.

3 Likes

Luton Boss Nathan Jones is favourite to become new Southampton manager.

Supremes fan or Banarama?

2 Likes

Think a year ago or something Hasenhuttl mentioned that he is a bit burnt out anyway and believes that the Southampton job might be his last.

1 Like

Hassenhuttl seemed like a decent fella, I wish him well.

As for Southampton, letā€™s see what they do now. There will be no end of managers who will take a few million to feed around the bottom of the Prem.

Arguably they get a free hit against us, to play for their future, in a way. So the timing might not be great on our end.

With that said, it all depends on what Liverpool side shows up. Hopefully we are professional enough to take the points and think about how we go higher after the World Cup, from the fringes of top four.

1 Like

I canā€™t see an appointment til the break.

1 Like

Same. Whatever candidate/s they have in mind, they have some time with the World Cup.

Whoever is in the frame will be watching, and the players will want to show their best, but hopefully we turn up and beat them regardless.

1 Like

Potentially they went early as they assume that a few clubs may sack their managers this time next week and so they can enter concrete discussions.

2 Likes

Potter wonā€™t make it until the end of the season.

1 Like