The Sackrace Thread

In the grand scheme of things this is not THAT important, but focusing solely on the footballing side of things this is now a PR nightmare for Palace. Everyone knows Roy’s job was on the line, and so for them to now make a move with a new permanent hire while Roy is recovering is an incredibly bad look for them that is going to be very difficult to navigate for them. Or at least it is if done without Roy or people who speak for him first announcing that he wont be coming back.

1 Like

It shouldn’t be beyond them to come to a sensible agreement. Roy is a proud man and won’t like the word “sacked” so I expect a phrase along the lines of “medical retirement” to be used, to help smooth things over. The club won’t look like heartless monsters, and Roy will avoid the sack, but either way, the arrangement will end soon.

I don’t think that is a solution as much as the exact PR nightmare I was talking about. Sacking someone is just part of football. Forcing someone out under the cover of unilaterally imposed medical retirement is the PR nightmare they have now sleepwalked into.

1 Like

It can all be smoothed over if Roy has some humility. If he says look, let me bow out graciously, they will find the right words and end it. If he wants to fight on, and insist he’s the man for the job etc. it will be a sacking and the Palace Chairman might get a bit of stick, but probably not too much, as the whole world knows that Hodgson was going to get sacked anyway.

I was wondering why South Korea were struggling recently…now I know :rofl:

Moyes top of the list

1 Like

Why are so many people jumping on the Moyes Out movement?

They are 8th in the league. No one above them that West Ham should be thinking they are better than. They topped their group in Europa League, so are through to the Rnd of 16. What more can they really expect?

3 Likes

Not to lose 0-6 at home?

Not to be knocked out of the FA Cup by Bristol City?

More than a miserly three points from their last six league fixtures?

1 Like

Not play Ben Johnson as a left winger?

:joy:

If that were a sackable offence, how many managers would Klopp be responcable for losing their jobs? It sucks, but these results occasionally happen. Hell, even we lost to Villa 7-2 a few seasons back, so should we have sacked Klopp?

It still doesn’t change the facts, that in the league, they are about were they should be, and have just finished top of their group in Europa League so are through to the latter stages.

1 Like

He probably did that moreso to combat the threat that is Saka as he didn’t play there today, but ultimately the football they play in terms of style and attractiveness isn’t proportionate to the calibre of players at his disposal.

They finished 14th in the league last season losing 20 games and I think a lot of their fans ran out of patience then, way they’re heading…it’s gonna be another bottom half finish. Think their fans also blame him for not solving their goal scoring woes out.

That wasn’t at home, though.

And it was clearly an aberration.

There are more pragmatic approaches and then there’s first 11’s with 2-3 creative players and playing a backup RB as a left winger. That is horribly negative. Not even Luton does that, let alone West Ham in the position they’re in that can actually show a bit of ambition.

Big questions about letting some players go like both Fornals and Benrahma, considering they had a short squad already going into January. That might be up to the club.

I didn’t say I want him sacked but as soon as they sold Rice I Kew he would struggle and at the moment he is top of the list

West Ham are about where they should be, so sacking Moyes is unwarranted. If their recent trend continues and they drop down the league, the case for parting company with him grows.

But while they are 8th and in the Europa last 16, a sacking would be harsh indeed.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City, Spurs, Man Utd, Newcastle are all better. And this season Aston Villa have been better too, but for West Ham, they might look at Villa as some sort of benchmark to try to emulate, should they exceed expectations.

1 Like

Looking at it from afar, they are about where they should be in the league, if not a bit higher, and he brought them a European trophy not 12 months ago.

Clubs like West Ham have delusions that they should right at the very top challenging. They have never been a top side.

Hodgson has always been the outstanding candidate to get the sack. Not just because of the dour football. Not just because of the results. Because of the way he single handedly sucks all the joy and life out of supporting a football club. He makes it an ordeal. He carries the demeanour of a man who doesn’t believe any of this should be fun.

Crystal Palace should have fired him months ago, and now they are stuck in a pickle and can’t get rid. I don’t know how ill he is, but if there is an opportunity for them to say ‘look, we were going to sack you in the summer anyway. Do you want to get off now?’ They should take it with both hands.

1 Like

https://x.com/BBCSport/status/1759609701283549462?s=20

1 Like

Clever move - making it clear he’s rested and available for Bayern or us in the Summer. Better move quick FSG!

Strangely this thread looks dead.

Nuno, Poch, Moyes, Dyche, Kompany, Wilder