The Trials of Donald J Trump

So I have a couple of questions which have just come to me.

1. When travelling abroad, on your visa application/immigration form you need to declare if you have been convicted of a criminal offence. If Trump doesn’t admit to his conviction due to him being convinced it was a sham trial and bogus charge, can he still be arrested as POTUS in another country for false decleration?

2. If a sitting president were to be arrested abroad for such a charge, what would the official response of the US government be?

That’s some perfect democratic system you created there, America.

Looks good. Nice and robust.

7 Likes

https://x.com/vermontgmg/status/1807791450521813260

2 Likes

Next level gymnastics that one.

Come on Biden, go batshit rogue now, got nothing to lose anyway.

4 Likes

Trump posted a victorious message on his social media site, Truth Social: “BIG WIN FOR OUR CONSTITUTION AND DEMOCRACY. PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"

Says it all really.

2 Likes

Exactly.

You’ll be dead soon anyway.

Do that Seal Team 6 thing that keeps coming up.

2 Likes

Oh, THOSE are not “official acts”
Why not?
We’re not sure yet. We’ll get back to you, but not until after the election, but you just very definitely cannot do them.

1 Like

Seal Team 6 commander in all of this discourse

2 Likes

The charges and convictions have had the opposite effect so far, so maybe the immunity will change change the narrative.

No idea, so Im assuming something along the lines of diplomatic immunity.

Yeah, you got me thinking about this. I guess all those rioters were officially recruited as “somethingorother” by the president before the election?

This bucket has some holes in it.

Details, details. Just put the judges in some hole somewhere, what are they gonna do then? Official act like a m#%@!f€#€€a

1 Like

This likely gives them a reason to have the Manhattan case overturned on appeal. Part of this ruling made using acts in office inadmissible as evidence in supporting charges for acts conducted out of office. With at least some of the evidence used in Bragg’s case being acts conducted as president, it now gives an argument to throw out the conviction.

1 Like

I just read the news, 6-3 decision, that actually sucks, I would have preferred it a much more unanimous ruling, either way.

"The President enjoys no immunity for his unofficial acts, and not everything the President does is official.

I would hope so. Immunity from a house of cards style murder would be a bridge too far.

Democrats’ problem is that they still think there are rules in this game.

7 Likes

It’s been their problem for at least twenty years now.

3 Likes

Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here, this is the war room!

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/EricHolder/status/1807794248894292203?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1807794248894292203|twgr^5c6465a051e0adb572841fc8091c2e8b7450cac9|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2Flive%2F2024%2F07%2F01%2Fus%2Ftrump-immunity-supreme-court

3 Likes

Originalists on the court rule that checks and balances were never intended and the president was always supposed to be elevated above the congress.

But yes, the surprise is the 3 in dissent not agreeing to a totally fucking bonkers interpretation of presidential power just in the interest of presenting a united front

2 Likes