The Trials of Donald J Trump

What a time to be alive. Someday I will tell @SBYM I was alive when.

3 Likes

@cynicaloldgit may feel a bit left out now…seems you’ve given up on your friendship and mentoring of him being less cynical

2 Likes

Right now the Republicans only have 6 justices willing to chuck precedent and the rule of law, a unanimous ruling is still a few years away.

3 Likes

It is very much looking like what I suspected since I became a citizen.

At the ceremony the judge gave a lovely speech along the lines of the American Dream, and told the group a few truths about America, stressing that in America, nobody is above the law.

Erm, yes. About that one…

This is not a reliable country. Money and privilege buys a different sort of justice, to the point that the Supreme Court is now bought and paid for by billionaires who can tip them for good service.

If Biden doesn’t step down he needs to appoint many more Democrat SC Justices asap, while also giving serious consideration to sending in Seal Team 6 on Trump, as an official Presidential act to protect the country, knowing that the President is above the law.

4 Likes

3 and half year ago no Republican was pretending to believe this interpretation. People forget now how even Republicans blamed Trump for what happened on Jan6th in the days after. When congress subsequently tried to impeach him, the argument against the Republicans in the Senate landed on, and voiced by McConnell, was not that he was not guilty of the charges, but that the criminal courts not impeachment was the right mechanism to deal with alleged crimes conducted while in office.

2 Likes

Well that’s that then by the looks of it. The corruption has been absorbed into every facet. Good luck America, it was nice while it lasted :sleepy:

2 Likes

Yes, it’s the end of the post war order. The US was always the lesser of the evils in the world, but it provided security and peace for Europe for a lifetime.
It didn’t always live up to its democratic ideals, but at least they were there as an aspiration. A Trump presidency unshackled by the law is a chilling prospect for anyone who believes in democracy.

3 Likes

https://x.com/samyoungman/status/1807797451681837206

5 Likes

Man who played a key role in the appointment of Roberts and Alito blaming Hillary for today’s immunity ruling :joy: :joy: :joy:

https://x.com/RalphNader/status/1807805821192908959

3 Likes

I blame the idiots who gave women the vote!!

2 Likes

They have had a few recently. I think the removing trump from the ballot was unanimous.

Bullshit. The US is the greatest evil in world, especially over the past 50 years. It has invaded 84 out of the 194 countries recognised by the United Nations and has been militarily involved with 191 of those

1 Like

I would rather have lived under its sphere of influence than that of the other superpowers. That’s what I meant.

3 Likes

The court’s ruling did not say whether any of Trump’s alleged actions fell under his constitutional powers, leaving such matters to be sorted out by a lower court.

I missed this part.

Part of Sotomayor’s dissent:

“The President of the United States is the most powerful person in the country, and possibly the world,” Sotomayor wrote. “When he uses his official powers in any way, under the majority’s reasoning, he now will be insulated from criminal prosecution. Orders the Navy’s Seal Team 6 to assassinate a political rival? Immune. Organizes a military coup to hold onto power? Immune. Takes a bribe in exchange for a pardon? Immune. Immune, immune, immune.”

“Let the President violate the law, let him exploit the trappings of his office for personal gain, let him use his official power for evil ends. Because if he knew that he may one day face liability for breaking the law, he might not be as bold and fearless as we would like him to be. That is the majority’s message today. Even if these nightmare scenarios never play out, and I pray they never do, the damage has been done.”

No big deal. Let Jill and Joe run against Trump. It’ll be fine.

3 Likes

It feels like the infrastructure is already being put in place for Project 2025 and Trump’s dictatorship. All that needs to happen now is for the christofascists to anoint that psychopath, and they will stop at nothing to make that happen, and the world will enter it’s darkest phase since WWII. I am genuinely terrified! I grew up feeling safe, but that could very well be a luxury that future generations, in the US and Europe and beyond, will not be afforded. I never, ever dreamt that would happen. Where are the ‘good guys with the guns’?

1 Like

It was always clear Trump sees himself as a Dictator,now Scotus have virtually endorsed that,there will be no stopping him.If he gets another term,at trend of that he will try to carry out the President for life bit,and his handpicked Scotus will have enabled it.

3 Likes

I’d like to hear the Republican explanation of why this is a good thing. How can it be constitutional and in the interests of democracy to have a president who is immune from prosecution? Whatever happened to checks and balances? Would you want a Democrat president with unfettered powers?
How can it be justified?

1 Like

It can’t. It’s just poorly-educated, indoctrinated slugs voting for salt. The people who vote for the modern GOP are away with the fucking fairies and think a new dawn of Evangelical godliness is about to sweep the nation. Boy, are they in for a rude awakening.

Can Biden now order Navy seal team 6 to assassinate Trump :thinking:
If not then what other things can he now do to ensure Trump doesn’t get in?

1 Like