The Trials of Donald J Trump

Prove that Jan 6 was not official presidential business is one guess I have.

Seperate his business dealings from his presidential duties so the tax fraud still sticks.

Im guessing obviously, but how do you win clean against a cheat?

There is only so much baiting that Trump will get away with… Whether it is Ukraine or the Mexican Cartel - He is making too many powerful enemies… I can only see this ending one way

If Biden feels that keeping Trump out of power is in the countrys best interest then have they just given him the power to do that.No need to win clean if the courts have assured you you won’t be prosecuted.
Which is the lesser of 2 evils.

That would cause a civil war which may be coming anyway.

I wondered this. He’s handing out promises left, right and centre. Some day these people will come calling.

1 Like

It seems to me that anything via legal channels will not catch up with him before being elected. The exception is the current case that awaits sentencing. Even that one, I think, will be appealed and nothing will stick before he is elected.

By which time, thanks to myriad enablers, including the Supreme Court, he will be untouchable, free and clear.

What can the Dems do to stop that? Rather than rising to the challenge, they appear to be losing ground and it is very concerning.

2 Likes

There is no longer a remote chance any of the trials go ahead before the election. With what the court did yesterday they have left open all the relevant questions about what is chargeable and what isnt, and even what evidence can be used for acts agreed to be chargeable. It is unlikely we even get to sentencing of Trump in the Manhattan case now given they have now been given grounds for appeal (evidence used that is now viewed as inadmissible).

One additional piece of fuckery the court did with this decision was to give a broad decision for the ages. Courts are only supposed to rule narrowly on the specific question put in front of them. They are not supposed to come out with “presidents are immune from criminal prosecution for official acts” they are only supposed to say “this specific claim of immunity was upheld/rejected because of…” No one even on the right pretended to believe in the legitimacy of the appeal Trump submitted, which is why the focus of the tea leaf reading on why they took it up was focused on how the court was using it as a way to run out the clock on the trials being done before election. For them to then come out with a decision that says in broad terms “this thing no one even pretended to believe has now become law” has shocked even the most cynical court analysts with its brazenness. They couldnt justify granting trump’s appeal in the narrow sense, so instead invented a broad immunity couched with a series of tests to see if the immunity applies, but then provided none of the actual tests that are supposed to be used to do it, which is all just done as a way of closing the door on trump prosecutions while giving them room in the future to rule against Biden might do in the near term.

7 Likes

Coup d’etat almost done. This is how the good ones work, infiltrate the system from the inside, then let the system dismantle itself.

6 Likes

Ah, that’ll be project 2025 which is designed to get rid of impartial civil service professionals and replace them serfs that are loyal to King Donald.

I’m putting my hopes in the women of the USA, most of whom would not vote for Trump. I imagine. Could be wrong though.

Never heard of that tbh.
I think civil service doesn’t mean shit, it’s a foot note once you’ve eliminated checks and balances and are in control.
All hopes on Biden now…Fucking hell…
Liked Babylon Berlin? Cool, you’re basically in it now, not sure which season

4 Likes

It is in plain sight…https://www.project2025.org/

2 Likes

Thanks. Don’t really need to read it I think. We’ve seen how that stuff works.

The wikipedia isn’t bad. First couple of paragraphs cover it.

I particularly like immediately invoking the Insurrection Act of 1807.

2 Likes

I realise that I might come off as a bit melodramatic to some right now. Fair enough.
But since the majority of people on here come from countries which systems have been more or less stable for centuries, - this can end faster than you might imagine. Very easy to sleepwalk into. Better hope you like what you wake up to.

7 Likes

I feel like we’re in a disaster movie showing what preceded the catastrophe and the dystopian future that followed.

1 Like

Dystopian future? It’s already here.

1 Like

It is now a serious political question in Canada as to who would make the best PM during a Trump 2nd term. I am not sure there is a good answer to that when are our choices are a populist conservative or a left social democrat like Trudeau, whom Trump already despises.

2 Likes

Do you think you have to pander to his wishes?

I’d rather hope that Canada would be a bastion of democratic values in the face of the dictatorship.

1 Like

Which is the left liberal argument for Trudeau…no, I don’t think we have to pander to his wishes, but having overt hostility in DC is extremely difficult for Canada. We are not as integrated as the EU is, but Canada is at least as dependent on the US as any EU member is on the collectivity of the EU. At a whim, the White House can inflict a Brexit-level economic shock on Canada.

1 Like

Getting Gilead vibes :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like