The Trials of Donald J Trump

Been thinking about the delay in his sentencing being put back to Nov.26th. - Yes it’s post election, but does this date not fall in the ‘lame duck’ period, between election results being announced, and a President commencing their duties in early January 2025.

If the signs are he has lost, and lost by quite a significant margin, then yes, he will have hell to pay facing the courts on his existing charges…
If the signs show a close run vote, with lots of disputing going-on, then who knows how it will eventually play out.
Yet, even so, if he wins the election by a clear margin, his court date appearance for sentencing, is a full 6weeks before he takes office, or can issue any presidential order to stop all/any existing proceedings…!

Does this then mean, on 26th Nov. he can then be sent direct to jail, as in, straight to jail, do not pass GO type haste, or will his lawyers, once again, appeal the appeal, that has already been appealed about twenty times…!

If this is the case, putting him an entire wing to himself, with his secret service protection keeping him company, would also mean, he is prevented from making further anarchy threats, or repeating the Jan 06th style revolution :thinking:
I really do hope this Bastard gets what he is long overdue

Yep , and he won’t be held in custody either. Furthermore , if he wins and the conviction is upheld then any sentence will not be served until his term is finished.

1 Like

But then we delve into the murky cesspit that is the Presidential Pardon, and if he is president with this conviction hanging over his head after he leaves office, can he pardon himself? Then how would any challange to that pardon be held as he has stacked the Supreme Court so you can be certain that any SC ruling will no doubt include pressure from his people to rule in his favour.

He can only pardon himself for federal crimes. The hush money trial and conviction was brought by NY State.

1 Like

I don’t understand this at all. So, the laws are different for Trump than anyone else? If he’s found guilty, then sentence him. Abstaining from doing that is definitely election inference.

1 Like

This is everyone else’s argument. Especially as these are not new charges, but ones he knew were present when he elected to get into the race.

I think it is appropriate that in general DoJ and their state/local equivalents give some consideration for how to approach situations with electoral implications, but this sort of situation is not what people are thinking about when wanting protection against that.

2 Likes

I have a lot of sympathy with the view that delaying things is election interference. The legal process should run its course, and had Trump complied, and not delayed, blocked, and appealed the shit out of everything, this would have all run its course by now.

His tactics have meant that it is still an ongoing issue, and the fact that it coincides with the election shouldn’t come into it.

Still, this is America, and the sort of justice wealthy elites like Trump get is far removed from what happens to everyone else.

The question remains … will it ever all catch up with him?

I’m thinking of the Hemingway quote about how he went bankrupt - “Gradually at first, then very suddenly.”

Hopefully that’s what justice will look like for Trump. It has been gradual so far. If he loses the election I see everything turning on him. Sentencing for this case has already been scheduled. The other cases will be reinvigorated too. I suspect the Republican Party will start to throw him off too - not completely, but enough of them, because they won’t like a serial loser.

And if enough of them decouple from Trump, the Supreme Court might possibly grow a pair and actually enact a little justice here and there, instead of breaking with long established precedent to protect him.

Gradually. Then suddenly.

Justice is coming for Trump.

3 Likes

I think theres one or two more of these cases in the works

3 Likes