The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

That’s not really the story though. We went into that summer not planning on making any changes at keeper. We changed our mind not because the Fekir deal fell through but because we rapidly lost faith in both Karius and Ward as a result of their performances during that pre-season and decided we needed to change course. Alison was our plan A for that and the Fekir part of the story was the suggestion that maybe we wouldnt have been able to push for him had we already spent the Fekir money, but that doesnt make it a Plan B. It was not a case of missing out on one player and then going to the next on the list.

1 Like

I think it’s quite clear that his decline was not expected to be that rapid.

How is it messing about when neither was particularly interested in us in the end? In any case, not that it is any justification, but I’m sure that the recruitment team would have been slated had they actually signed a player who flopped as hard as Caicedo for as much as we had purportedly offered, or for a crock like Lavia, by your own reasoning.

Ignoring all the arguments about different styles that has literally been the main justification for buying someone to “replace” Endo, I think it was made quite clear that the only reason he was looked to after Caicedo and Lavia refused to join was that he was 30, not anything about him as a player.

All the noise around that signing was that he thought his chance had passed because we, as a rule, don’t sign anyone above 27.

1 Like

A Bajetic loan would confuse my confusion even more

8 Likes

Ssh with nonsense Klopp was mistreated terribly.

1 Like

They say he needs regular match practice because he was injured for so long, but it seems as if Slot doesn’t want to deal with him any further for the time being, as Stefan apparently doesn’t fit Slot’s profile.

2 Likes

Did we loan @jabu too? Where is that lad?

1 Like

got this from one of the poster (AussieT) on the main LFC site… thought it was very funny…
I think this is amusing given the circumstances…

I asked ChatGPT to do the following;

“Write an excuse press release for LFC to explain why we are unable to identify and sign a holding midfield player this summer transfer window”

NAILED IT, it is as if JWH wrote it himself

Press Release:

Liverpool FC Statement on Summer Transfer Window

Liverpool Football Club would like to address the ongoing speculation regarding our pursuit of a holding midfield player during this summer transfer window.

As a club, we are committed to building a squad that competes at the highest level, and we understand the concerns of our supporters regarding the importance of strengthening key areas of our team. However, the complexities of the current transfer market have presented significant challenges in our efforts to secure a holding midfielder who meets the high standards and specific criteria required to thrive at Liverpool FC.

Firstly, the global football landscape has been marked by unprecedented market conditions, with inflated player valuations and increased competition for top talent. Despite our best efforts and considerable financial resources, these factors have made it difficult to finalize a deal that aligns with both our short-term needs and long-term strategic vision.

Additionally, we remain committed to ensuring that any signing fits not only our tactical requirements but also our club’s ethos and culture. We prioritize players who possess the right character, work ethic, and passion for representing Liverpool Football Club. This rigorous selection process has inevitably narrowed our options, as we refuse to compromise on the values that have made this club successful.

Furthermore, the nature of transfer negotiations often involves multiple stakeholders, including clubs, agents, and players themselves. These negotiations can be intricate and time-consuming, and despite our proactive approach, certain external factors have influenced the pace of discussions.

Liverpool FC remains dedicated to strengthening the squad and will continue to explore all avenues to bring in the right talent. While we may not have secured a holding midfielder during this window, we have full confidence in our current squad’s ability to perform at the highest level, and we will continue to invest in the team’s future success.

We appreciate the unwavering support of our fans and share their passion for the club’s continued success. Rest assured, we are constantly working to build a team that embodies the spirit of Liverpool FC and competes for top honors.

Thank you for your understanding and continued support.

YNWA

Liverpool Football Club

15 Likes

Players trying to fit into Slot’s ‘profile’

7 Likes

Ironically Iron Man doesn’t fit. Where does that leave us.

2 Likes

I’m calling shenanigans :laughing:

1 Like

So, before the season even begins…our new executives have been able to divide the fan base already going by this thread. :see_no_evil:

• There are those who think Edwards/Hughes didn’t get enough time to update their list as per Arne’s requirements. Summer tournaments made it tough and players shortlisted were not available.

• Then, there are those who feel this is just a smokescreen from Edwards and master stroke is still to come in the next 3 weeks

• And, then there are those who feel, this is an amazing team, which needs no addition and Jones/Gravenberch will be great at #6. And, we are pretty stocked in other positions , and should be fine to start the season as is.

• Finally, there are ones…who feel the club at the top level is an absolute mess for not making the 3 months available to them, missing out on targets and not even renewing contracts of Trent ,Mo and VVD.

Nah, that’s on the fanbase/us, not the owners/execs. No matter what happens, its never enough for some fans, and therefore the divide exists in perpetuity, A simple example…we’ve seen calls such as Gravenberch and Szobolai being disappointing signings when discussing last years poor transfer window…oooft

5 Likes

That is why I asked for clarification on the interpretation as just using a word used by a reporter can result in lots of crossed wires. FWIW, while I’ve read that Joyce piece it came from it is at odds with all the other reporting suggesting the sequence of events was we put out feelers and got a positive response, not what this is being interpreted as us hearing on the grapevine he was willing to move and then trying to get involved.

2 Likes

‘The only club in Europe’s top five leagues not to sign any first-team players’ Doyle

While the hysteria is way over the top, I do think it’s understandable that people are asking questions. The idea that we are different than every other club in how we do business is starting to feel a little arrogant, or alternatively too easy of an excuse

8 Likes

Especially when both Slot and Virgil have recently, within the last week or so, made clear their expectation that additions are needed.

There was a world where the Liverpool 2.0 of last year was viewed as having enough room for organic growth and development that the best thing we could do improve was just to leave it alone and work hard together with the new coach. Had everyone been steadfastly on that page I could have bought it. But when the two most important people at the club both make the statements they have made then the current situations lands differently.

There is obviously still time and we shouldnt judge the outcome while it is still in the process of coming together but it’s a little unnerving.

8 Likes

I think we’ll move for other players, but I’d be surprised if we have another 6 in mind. Maybe we’ll look for a CB who can be a very strong ball player, with the intention of taking some of the pressure off the likes of Endo to do that as much.

Quansah and van Dijk are extremely good on the ball but I think there is a drop off in that quality with Konate, Gomez and van den Berg (they’re still very good technically, just not quite as good as the first choice CBs).

3 Likes

So… Blame someone else for some fans acting like spoilt brats?

3 Likes

The lack of movement on new contracts is a bigger worry for me right now than the lack of transfers. Absolutely crucial that we tie Trent and Virgil down soon.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Without trying to be funny, maybe they are waiting to see who signs before resigning I.e are we building on last season? Or is this more of a rebuild phase?