The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Thank you for your politeness xxx

5 Likes

This threadā€™s gone weird.

To get back on track, isnā€™t it marvellous how some posters names are so fitting?
Cynical Old Git
Gasbag
Not A Superfan
Max Pain
etc etc

8 Likes

Liverpool and Valencia have agreed the final details of the deal to sign Mamardashvili, for ā‚¬40mil. All that remains is the medical. [

@sanchis14

]

3 Likes

Very spurious.

abrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Giorgi Mamardashvili to Liverpool, here we go! Medical today for Georgian goalkeeper as heā€™s joining #LFC from Valencia. The agreement for ā‚¬35m package plus sell-on clause will be signed now but he will join Liverpool in July 2025. This season heā€™s staying in Valencia

3 Likes

Yes!!! After 3 long, hard weeks of negotiating we finally have a HERE WE GOOOOOOOO!

My summer is complete.

5 Likes

Giorgio Mamardashvili will sign a six-year deal at Liverpool, staying at Valencia for the 24/25 season. [

@sanchis14

]

2 Likes

Future proofs a key position with someone who has every chance of becoming the best, or one of the very best, of the next generation of goalkeepers. Happy with that.

As for the rest of the window, it has been underwhelming, but letā€™s see if anything else happens.

We have cleared the decks somewhat, and brought in some revenue doing that, for players who would not have featured, so that has been decent businessā€¦ provided it comes full circle and we see a bit more investment into the team.

Ideally we close a deal or two before the end of the month, but if not, we do have a great squad, and there is clearly some big business coming down the line as a couple of top players age out.

The new regime has just got their feet under the table, so Iā€™m not going to fully judge them based on one short cycle.

2 Likes

Only 6? I though is more because he will loan out 2 years.

I donā€™t think the calculation is that simple.

Iā€™m sure there are loads of players who could improve us. The question is to what extent does it improve us? How much do we pay for that improvement? And how does that affect what we can do in the future?

For example, take a random player. Letā€™s say Curtis Jones. We can find a player that is, say, a 5% improvement on Jones. But that player will cost Ā£40m.

Do we spend Ā£40m for a 5% improvement. And that thatā€™s Ā£40m we canā€™t spend on a player subsequently available who might be a 40% improvement.

Personally I like a quiet transfer window for two reasons 1) it suggests that there are people at the club actually thinking about things and working to a strategy. 2) it boils all kinds of piss with the idiots on Twitter, and that is the real joy of the transfer window.

10 Likes

The issue with this perspective is the notion that we could only identify players who are just 5% better than what we have.

1 Like

Shall I save us a circular argument?

I say ā€œOkay then, who?ā€

You say ā€œItā€™s not my job to identify players. These guys are supposed to be professionals. They should be able to identify someoneā€.

I say ā€œthey are professionals, and they clearly donā€™t think there is anyone availableā€

You say ā€œthatā€™s rubbish. There are clearly players out there who could improve usā€

I say ā€œOkay then, who?ā€

Go round like that a few time, until one of us gets bored.

11 Likes

No, because that isnā€™t the only factor behind the decision. The more factors that get added the more complicated the process naturally becomes.

Thatā€™s just one way of looking at it. The other way of looking at that is indecisiveness when too many men are making decisions and arenā€™t in sync.

I find it extremely hard to believe that people running the operations(club scouts,transfer operations/interim dof, head of research) before Edwards was confirmed(in March), did no groundwork over the past one year.
They were just sitting ducks waiting for Edwards/Hughes to come in and were collecting pay cheques. Basically, what everyone is implying then, is that previous(pre March) regime did not identify any players, they did not do any succession planning or they could not find any players as per statistics model who would have fit into the clubs strategy of playing football, this summer.

At one side, we talk about basics of our playing style remains the same, but then we suddenly cannot find players on this planet who match our new coachā€™s strategy ? The whole arguments of getting or finding a new coach was based on a similar playing style. Itā€™s strange to come up with the argument that research department list for search of players of buy and large similar playing style came somewhat empty.

And, now our messiah this season is a player at #6 who could not get into the starting 11 consistently last year.

Ait-Nouri > Tsimikas.

And of the quality and age to put pressure on Robertson and eventually succeed him.

Now this is the bit where you say one of

a) the club obviously donā€™t agree
b) he mustnā€™t be available
c) must be too much for too little improvement

But ultimately we need a new option in the next year or two but next summer weā€™ll probably be looking at needing to focus on other areas.

Also, with things at the top of the game so tight in terms of quality, a couple additions who are 5% better than what we have might be the difference between third and first.

1 Like

Simakan emerges as Liverpool target

SkySports:
RB Leipzig defender Mohamed Simakan has emerged as a late option for Liverpool, according to reports in Italy.

Centre back Sepp van den Berg has already left for Brentford this summer.

2 Likes

Can also play right back which is interesting

1 Like

Isnt that itself an illustration of why signings are not the only means of a team improving from the previous year?

4 Likes

You cannot have both sides of the argument. So, by your logic would you agree the club were wrong in trying to buy Zubimendi ? And, the clubā€™s priorities were wrong chasing a #6 , as we had it in house.
Because , then if Zubi had signed, Grav goes on the bench straightaway !!

Itā€™s exactly the argument. The opinion of the club was that Zubimendi represented a huge improvement on what we had.

They arenā€™t going to drop Ā£60m on the next cab off the rank. You re look at what you have already.

2 Likes