The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Don’t get me wrong, I love Mbappe’s talent. I also believe he would be a fantastic play for us on the pitch.

I just find it hard to believe that an ownership group that struggled to agree to pay Mo 350k per week will agree to pay Mbappe 500k plus per week because that’s what it will take at bare minimum.

Alisson , VVD were the best in their positions when we signed them but they weren’t people like Mbappe , Neymar , Messi etc in terms of popularity and importance etc.

1 Like

I meant importance in terms of marketability and branding are concerned. Not about their football skills.

2 Likes

It’s not just Mbappe. It’s the knock on effect to the general increase in salaries VVD / Alisson etc would demand even if an Mbappe was affordable. That’s what led Man Utd to becoming shit. The knock on effect of giving huge salaries to someone like De Gea, Pogba for instance meant that even underperforming guys like Rashford , Lingard got more than Liverpool guys

He’s playing in France with a salary no other club (except Cheaty) could give. I get him wanting to go to Real Madrid. But even if he was interested in Liverpool , we wouldnt pay what he wants

Plus , there’s every chance that he would start agitating for a move to Madrid every transfer window. Could do without such a destabilizing influence.

2 Likes

Would Klopp even want him? He seems to be the exact opposite from what Klopp is looking in a footballer. What’s the point of him scoring 30 goals a season if he constantly lets his teammates exposed because he can’t be bothered to press or track back. And that’s without taking into consideration his exorbitant wage demands and his diva personality.

He doesn’t seem to be worth the trouble.

1 Like

A reminder that there’s a dedicated Mbappé thread, to avoid this one getting flooded with comments about a player we have no hope of signing.

6 Likes

This is my main concern, money aside. It would be so annoying for everyone to have to answer questions about this

I do think a large chunk of Mbappe’s wages pay for itself with respect to the merchandise sales , for any club.

But

I’ve said that I don’t want Mbappe in Liverpool and from what I’ve seen of the circus that follows him , I’d stand by that.

He’s one of the best if not the best forwards currently playing. It’s nothing about his talent. Three years back would have been a different story , I suspect he’s stagnated somewhat playing in the French league though.

1 Like

2 Likes

Can we follow Cynical’s directive.

1 Like

george carlin comedy GIF

Is that cynical enough?

Don’t know why is Mbappe still a topic, but…

If he is available, of course you have to do your calculation like for absolutely every move, but it’s a no brainer. The contract also perhaps wouldn’t have to be the same or higher than his PSG one. There could be ways to make it happen.

It’s more a case of “you’ll get our call if we’re willing and consider you as an option”. It is how it is.

A few years ago and maybe today (big maybe), I believe(d) we could’ve had Mbappe on a phone line or in a meeting. That he’d be interested in what we had to offer. But most probably not further than that for him to come here.

We rarely or almost never signed players that are basically considered the world’s best one or two players, so there’s also a lack of experience among us fans how that looks like.

I suppose a case might be made that VVD and Alisson were probably the best in their positions but they aren’t in terms of brand value compared to the likes of Messi / Mbappe etc etc.

We’ve developed players in all regards including branding, marketing them to big outlets etc but we’ve never had someone with a brand value come in.

The only club in England which does that is Manchester United where the likes of Pogba , Zlatan , CR7 etc do join. None of the other clubs in England (including Cheaty) follow that principle

Winter window
No games

2 Likes

When no rumors are available, fall back to Mbappe.

1 Like

Nah. No way was Virgil regarded as the world’s best CB at Southampton when he joined us. For both Virgil and Alisson, Liverpool represented a step up compared to where they played before.

2 Likes

Unless he’s at Real Madrid or perhaps Barcelona, Liverpool is always going to be a step up for a player.

4 Likes

I think there was. If not ‘he’s the best’, then certainly ‘get him out of that Southampton team and playing with proper world class players and he’ll be the best’. There was a reason why City and Chelsea were both desperate to sign him.

2 Likes

Not necessarily.