The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Bajcetic or Minteh?

1 Like

Stop being lazy, do both.

12 Likes

Minteh.

And saying that he is how a Mancunian describes Foxā€™s Glacier Mints doesnā€™t count.

2 Likes

What about a Canadian?

Heā€™s mint, eh.

1 Like

Blame Canada.

With their little beady eyesā€¦

3 Likes

De Ligt supposedly made available by Bayern. On leadership alone, is he the player to eventually replace VVD? I am not talking captaincy but right now, other than VVD I donā€™t see any leaders in the defenders in the squad. And when VVD retires maybe in a couple of seasons, we will need a leader to step up.

1 Like

Quansah to me could break a few of the old cliches about age and leadershipā€¦from the first step he took on the park it looked like it belonged to him, he was just letting the older guys play on it for a bitā€¦

3 Likes

Agree on his potential, he has grabbed the opportunity with very good performances and I do think he is no longer just to fill the numbers. He should play a big part next season. Of course when it comes to leadership, it remains to be seen. De Ligt himself showed age is nothing when it comes to leadership. Whether Quansah or someone external, we do need to think about the leadership transition in the defence.

1 Like

this is the bit where i find a Meme Of Quansah saying

ā€˜here, hold my beerā€™

1 Like

Fuck me dead.

21 years old with 17 games in the first team and people are already talking about him being a leader in our defensive set up. Talk about building the kid up to fail.

How about we all just let him grow and develope at his own pace and appreciate his talent

10 Likes

Ligt first needs to show he can perform at a top club on a consistent level again. Then we can talk about leaderdship on top of that.

If heā€™s made available by Bayern, that in itself raises a valid question why is that the case? He will not have new top clubs giving him a new chance eternally. At some point, he might have to drop a level.

And did anyone see Virgil getting to the level he has before he came to Liverpool? Football is full of new leaders that are not seen at the moment, especially by us on the outside.

2 Likes

nice sound bite, bit cutting, but not what i was inferringā€¦

building him up to fail as if its a purposeful hit im making on the guyā€¦i said he might break a few cliches about age and leadershipā€¦he looks assuredā€¦and he does.

its like when you saw a pudgy shane warne for the first timeā€¦he just looked like he was something specialā€¦

Quansah has everything at his disposal to become a leader on the park earleir than most players, he also might just be good enough to do it as Virgils career winds downā€¦i have the ability to discuss that without being hysterical if it doesnt play out the way i think it ā€˜couldā€™, even if you dont want to engage

its a compliment from me to both Virgil (leadership going longer than people giving him credit for) and Jarrell (being ready to lead earlier than most players)

3 Likes

There are different types of leaders and to be a defender and be(come) a regular starting CB at Liverpool, you actually need to have some of those qualities by default.

With Quansah, Iā€™m taking it bit by bit.

For now, Iā€™m just happy that it seems we got a player who can be part of the first team squad (like, part of 4 main CBā€™s).

I see some of his strengths, I see some of his weaknesses. Itā€™s all natural, especially at this stage of his career.

I like the way he talks, very ambitious and looks like heā€™s already pretty much aware how though it can be to stay here for a long time.

The rest, weā€™ll see with time what he can accomplish here together with the team.

4 Likes

agreed step by stepā€¦

there was a game he was partnered with Matip earlier in the year and he was pinging the ball around vertically , Matip was knocking to himā€¦ i just watched in Aweā€¦he SHOULD have been nervous as all get out, he SHOULD have been just happy just to hit a red shirt anywhereā€¦i was very very impressed. Its one of the reasons ive mentioned his ability to maybe lead the defence at a younger age.

watching and training and then getting a few years playing alongside VVD wont hurt either.

can it go pear shaped? of courseā€¦ doesnt mean we cant discuss the prospect with a bit of an open mind thoughā€¦

2 Likes

Yeah its too early to say Quansah is going to be an important player for us.

Anyway, what 19 year old Portuguese lads have had a good three months so we can spend Ā£50m on them?

9 Likes

De Ligt? Probably a no for me. A few years ago when he was emerging he looked the part. Since then he has had massive wages, a lot of fanfare, and itā€™s all been a bit meh on the actual pitch.

Thatā€™s not to say someone wonā€™t benefit from a player who does have something, but the likely transfer fee, coupled with the high wages that would assume a sure thing who is a top level operator, lean me towards a no, not now.

If it is a distressed price and reasonable wages, letā€™s talk.

As for leadership, Iā€™m not quite sure what we are looking for on a football pitch. First and foremost I want good players who will do their job. They will be well trained and ready to win. Slot and his team sorts all that and sends them out prepared to do their job.

Then on the actual pitch itself, if things arenā€™t going according to plan and you have to dig deep, or cajole your teammates to give their all or whatever, yesā€¦ I see that as leadership, but I also see it as doing your job. Itā€™s a bit of both.

One other aspect of leadership is leading by example. So if we have a brilliant player that everyone counts on, they are a leader. But they must also have the other stuff - doing their job, fighting hard for the team, lifting others, etc. or they veer toward prima donna.

Thereā€™s another sense of leadership that usually comes with experience. Thatā€™s not to say young players canā€™t be leaders, as clearly they can. But when you have built up a bit of a track record, you have the right to speak, and your teammates will have a bit more confidence in you.

Itā€™s hard to say how long VVD has left, probably two more seasons at Liverpool at a guess? And over that time new leaders will grow and emerge in the defence.

Quansah might well be one of them, letā€™s see. A new team is emerging after changes last season, and itā€™s always an opportunity to stake a claim.

3 Likes

https://x.com/paddypower/status/1800138386696741248

6 Likes

Was that David Attenborough doing the voice over?

1 Like
3 Likes

ā€œā€¦ according to reports from Spainā€ :expressionless:

5 Likes