The Walking Eagle thread

I did not think it was possible to be shocked at this point, but the Woodward recordings and book have done so

3 Likes

I don’t know what is more testing for the human race; the Corona Pandemic or the Trump Regime???

I’m actually terrified.

1 Like

And yet we know the response:

1. Outright denials, likely with some attacks on Woodward thrown in
  2. “That’s not what he really meant”
  3. Some well documented liar is trotted out to say “I was in the room when he did not say those things.” The press reports those denials as credible.
  4. Acceptance that he said it, but that it was really Obama/Biden/Hillary’s fault

Everyone moves on, with the press questioning how Biden will deal with Trump’s new criticism of the Obama legacy on Covid.

2 Likes

I put £30 on trump to win last time and made a tidy sum.
He’ll win again but I bet the odds are not so great.

This really sums everything up. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

There has been a fuss recently that the office of the DNI cancelled a pre arranged briefings to congress about election interference, and went on to state they will be proving written summaries only moving forward. The illegally acting Chad Wolf and DHS was implicated in this, and today we now get a whistleblower complaint alleging the the Counterintelligence aspect of DHS was told to stand down on intelligence related to Russia as Trump didnt like it.

The whistleblower complaint then also alleges at least 2 other cases of politically motivated interference in their CI activities that would ordinarily end a presidency.

1 Like

You do realize the hypocrisy in so much of who wins a Nobel Peace Prize right?

I’ll gloss over the comments about him getting people killed by COVID19 (one of many corona viruses) he isn’t getting anyone killed or asking the public to walk around with machine guns sigh

The Nobel Peace prize was awarded to Obama for “extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between people” — basically for winning an election the prior year.
It was also given to Al Gore "“for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change” when he put out a movie “An Inconvenient Truth” with some of the worst science and data analysis ever seen.

I’m not saying he should win it, far from it, but there are quite a few head scratchers in there list of recipients.

1 Like

If there had been a better candidate the last time, Trump would have never gotten elected. Honestly the democrats picked the worst possible opponent.

2 Likes

I’m not hugely knowledgeable of the Noble Peace Prize itself and know it’s just a nomination but if you’re going to award it to someone or be nominated for the award,atleast get the right people for it.

I’m merely stating the reasons why Trump shouldn’t be anywhere near it.You can gloss over my comments about his actions but do you seriously think he’s not to blame for the USA having the largest infection and death rate out of all the countries in the G8 and the world,his lack of leadership and basic knowledge towards the virus has shown how inept he’s been,lets all drink a large bottle of disinfectant to prove him right.

As for the machine guns,i never said he asked for people to walk around with them but he’s incited it and damn sure made it ok for them to do so,what did he say via tweets??Liberate Virginia and save your 2nd amendment,he also asked other states to Liberate and called the machine gun carriers very good people,which then brings me back to him being an idot with the coronavirus,cos by saying all that,he got people over many states to gather on mass to protest and probably spread it around a little bit more,at a time where anti-lockdown and BLM protests are going on aswell.

The guy doesn’t have an ounce of common sense or a political brain cell in his head,if i was American,i’d rather the opposition shave a monkey and teach it to talk out of it’s arse and vote for him over Trump,he couldn’t do any worse.

2 Likes

I fully back Noble for him. The man singlehandedly decimated the US dominance and brought balance to the power struggle between the top 3 global powers @ US, Russia and China. Apart from Noble, they should also build a statue of him @ Emptyhad.

He has repeatedly encouraged violent responses to things he and his supporters dont like, has repeatedly refused to condemn violent acts by those who belong to a demographic that are generally MAGAs, and has even go so far as to celebrate the acts and the people who have perpetrated them.

On top of that, his administration have actively looked to manipulate intelligence report to downplay the risks these Trump supporting groups pose and instead make up threats from groups he opposes. This then becomes circular, as these are the targets of his pro-violence rhetoric.

4 Likes

The tape should really be the final nail in the coffin for Trump, but who knows…

What the fuck was Woodward waiting for btw? I mean I guess he wants to sell a book, but ffs, this was in February/March, wasn’t there enough opportunity for him to go ‘wait a minute Mr Trump, I’ve got you on tape saying something quite drastically different’? Seems kind of important.

6 Likes

For Woodward, you can maybe make some sort of argument that he was waiting for the moment of maximum effect as he felt contradicting the president with tapes back in March wouldn’t have meaningfully changed course. But that’s an almost Ozmandias (Watchmen) like rationale to not even try. I don’t know there is much of a defense for this.

As for the tapes themselves, I get that tapes are powerful, but for me it doesn’t change the story much. We knew that in December and January Trump was receiving briefings about the seriousness of this and Trump went on to speak and act in a way that directly contradicted those warning. Any explanation we have for that is a demonstration of his lack of fitness for office. These tapes are a demonstration that those warning did hit and he understood what he was being told. That is probably more damning than the default of “he’s just too stupid to understand”, but not by much.

What it clearly hasnt changed is the attitude and actions of his enablers in the media and in politics. The usual suspects are still bending over backwards to defend this or deflect. If it was not clear prior to this, it is clear now that they will not move away from him first. They will have to see a critical mass of voters move first and then will follow out of perceived self-interest.

3 Likes

I have been thinking about that, and so far, I don’t see any one thing at any one point that would be definitive. The whole, plus the fact it is recorded, is damning, but I am not sure at what juncture he could have gone public and changed events. In one way, there is nothing we didn’t know, other than the fact that Trump was explicitly acknowledging information he had been given and ignoring it.

Who could he have gone to with this information? Even as a package now, Republican Senators are still manning the ramparts.

1 Like

Ok, you went and took a simple comment that was talking more on the Nobel Prize and turned it into something else completely. You went just a little overboard there didn’t you. I guess one thing is clear, you’re not a fan of trump.

All I was saying is that the Nobel committee has plenty of curious winners (and more nominees) in the past so if you do know something about the organization or the prize, this shouldn’t really be that much of a shocker.

Now, just to set some things straight.
The USA has a lot of cases of COVID19 - But if we look at things per 1M people, it’s not the highest infection rate in the world, and if you do the same for mortality rate, the USA isn’t even the highest in the G8 - that title belongs to the United Kingdom.

Not even sure how it’s Trump’s fault. People in the USA are largely entitled, and they often believe they can do what they want. What seems more important is that even amongst friends I know who claim to be keeping distances or wearing masks - they aren’t.

And on the machine guns - In this post you claim “As for the machine guns,i never said he asked for people to walk around with them but he’s incited it” and in the first post you said “who also advocates and incites the general public to walk around the streets with machine guns”. So which is it… did you say he advocates and incites it (as you wrote in the first post) or did you not say it (as you say in the 2nd post but then still say he incites it). Could you please give me an example of him advocating the public to walk the streets with machine guns because I’m pretty sure it never happened. What Trump has done is work to BAN bump stocks that can make a semi-automatic fire like an automatic - so he has actually taken steps to reduce automatic weapons. But again, if you’re so sure he’s advocated machine guns and incited people to walk the streets with them… I’d just love to see examples of such.

Look, I’m not a Trump Supporter, nor a major detractor. Like every president, he’s done some good things and some bad things. The worst thing he does is give his haters plenty of things to latch on to and skew in the media. You’ve mentioned that your not an American… as such, do you regularly read the news in the USA — not the headlines or the sound bites, but the actual information from which so many bad headlines are written? Sometimes it’s best to get the full story

I’m still largely amused at how much though Europeans put into politics in the USA.

Political headlines started getting crazy with George W. Bush, and just keep getting more and more over the top. Probably due to the media switching from actual newspapers that had morals and responsibility to report news properly to internet journalists that like to create news and make names for themselves whether or not they give all information.

From the standpoint of someone living in the USA, the rhetoric by and about various presidents is all over the map, but the reality of the governing is that none of them really do much that significantly alters the day-to-day lives of most USA citizens. Things just continue to move along. There are no seismic shifts in our country - it’s too big and we often balance the president with our congress - regardless of party in positions.

The biggest fault I can see in Trump as President - is that he likes to hear the sound of his own voice way too much ,and he loves to make grand statements (often stupid ones). So often he looks or sounds stupid - and it’s EASY to take things he says and run with them to make them sound scarier or stupider than they are. Trump is not an idiot — but he sure does sound like one at times.

2 Likes

I only went there because you sigh’d like i’m talking complete BS,regardless of whether i like Trump or not,the guy is in control of the most powerful country on the planet and no matter how you dress it up,sound bites or full information,apart from business deals,he’s a complete fucking idot and shouldn’t be anywhere near that job.

Right,let me set things a little straighter
I never mentioned and wasn’t talking about the per million people,ratio’s or percentages,just pure numbers,it’s fact the USA has had more infections and deaths than any other country on the planet.Trump just like Boris over here,had plenty of time before lockdowns were put in place to deal with coronavirus and spent months basically sat on their arses letting it spread,while they buried their heads in the sand.

I couldn’t put it much clearer on the guns thing tbh,he may not have actually said the exact words to people, to walk the streets carrying machine guns,but Trump tweeted for people in different states to Liberate over owning guns (i’d call that incitement),next thing people are walking around the streets with machine guns,then he’s calling them good people (i’d call that advocation) if he was against it,then i didn’t see any news articles where he tells gun owners to put them away and stop carrying them around the streets.

About the part in bold - yes you did… your prior message to which I responded said " do you seriously think he’s not to blame for the USA having the largest infection and death rate out of all the countries in the G8". Notice that word “RATE” in there? That’s why I did the per 1M population — that’s a RATE and what YOU brought up.

You could put it a lot clearer.
Now you’re saying “he may not actually have said it”. So you may have gone a little overboard with your interpretation of something that might or might not have been done and stating it as fact? Here’s what he did do … he Tweeted “Liberate Michigan”. It was not intended to be a call to arms to have the people of Michigan throw down their governor through use of weapons, but tha’ts how it was portrayed. It wasn’t even about guns. The tweet was about COVID and the measures that set up by the governor of Michigan. Again not guns — but the Michigan Governor’s reaction to COVID. Was a it a stupid Tweet … absolutely - like I said he can sound like a moron at times. But it was not a call to arms and it definitely came absolutely nowhere to your statement that he was advocating machine guns or inciting people to use guns.

Please know the facts and understand the situation as that’s an important part of the real story and much more useful than a sound bite.

And lastly on the guns - I already gave you an example about the machine guns - which by hte way is a blanket term for semi- and fully-automatic weapons. He passed legislation making it illegal to use bump stocks to turn semi-automatic into fully-automatic — at least that’s something. Trump DOES support the rights to USA citizens to own firearms. Guess what, that’s in the constitution so what he personally believes isn’t really germane. If the citizens of the USA want to do away with firearms owned by citizens, that’s the job of congress and state legislatures, not the president, to amend the constitution.

To be fair, the US has the highest infection and the second highest death rate in the G8, so not off by much.

5 Likes

pathological left-punching. it’s bernie’s fault biden is eating shit with hispanics (and Black voters, and independents). they’re basically telegraphing that if their hamfisted attempt to wrest the mantle of law & order and The Troops from the republicans fails, again, they’re going to blame the left & russia, again

trump is dumber than anyone you meet in life, but his reptile brain is attuned to people’s weaknesses and it makes him better at politics than the democrats