The Walking Eagle thread

anybody who criticizes biden is a russian agent. there are hundreds of thousands of boomers who think like this. they’re already like 40% of the way to q anon level delusion

tremendously healthy functioning society we have here

She has not remotely claimed that anyone who criticises Biden is a Russian agent. But with this retort, the massive mischaracterization of her point, the vitriolic language and the Q anon allusion, you have demonstrated her point.

3 Likes

she’s not claiming everyone is a russian agent, just susan sarandon

her ‘point’ is 100% tin foil horseshit. embarrassing nonsense

She is speaking about the very well documented reality that Russian accounts are driving certain forms of discourse, and people like Sarnadon end up apeing them.

She then points out that any attempt to address this results furious responses from people all using exactly the same terminology like shitlib, Blue Anon etc, youre seemingly familiar with the lingo, which really demonstrates the group think that drives it.

4 Likes

You should get good odds on a landslide, which I think it will be.

yeah the host of the mueller-themed podcast is the objective, rational one here

biden is a repulsive nominee, and it’s even alienating a lot of former ‘warren democrats’, like this ryan knight dweeb. and i don’t even care that that she doesn’t give this clown the benefit of the doubt (as she does the lincoln project or republican cop & iraq war goon robert mueller). it’s that she decides his twitter account is a 5 year-old russian operation, rather than just a grifting clout chaser changing lanes. it’s fucking deranged

the democrats have responded to trump by becoming the party of the CIA, not sure how it’s surprising that people who object to that tend to use similar language

i find it extremely instructive that the avowed ‘pragmatism’ of the real democrats doesn’t apply to russiagate or voter-shaming. they will beat that dead horse whether the fringes of their voting pool like it or not

The problem with your posts is you are clearly on the side of fiction when you separte facts from fiction. This latest post is a clear example. Your COVID analysis is completely fictional number of new cases per 1 million for the UK is less than 50 per day whilst in the USA it’s over 100 it’s not even in the same ball park.

As for ‘us picking’ on the USA well the USA voted for Trump and Trump get’s his own ‘special’ thread due to being extremely particular due to his character, his lies, his ‘management’ which he promotes massively on social media.

As for what’s going down easewhere (France, Spain, Brazil) well there are posts about these countries, I have been known to post about France and over COVID it’s mainly critical, however there are limited numbers of posters on here from these states and the ‘foreign’ news sources don’t cover them as well as they do the USA. For example when I post on France I rarely get a reply (a few likes that’s it).

Heard a journalist the other day claiming like you that the covid cases around the world are globally the same yet many countries are not even in the same ball park however you manipulate the numbers. Get over it the USA is a mess and not just over COVID (that doesn’t mean other countries aren’t in a mess just that denial isn’t going to help at all).

3 Likes

This is an insane perspective. She started a podcast because she is knowledgeable. This is the equivalent of saying that the press only writes negative things about Trump because they hate him.

2 Likes

It’s also an English speaking forum, hardly surprising since it’s about LFC. Can only speak for myself, but if I want to know something about the US I can just read the US press or the original source or watch US media. Texts about complex issues in French are much, much harder for me, listening/watching is even worse…And my Spanish is hardly enough for ordering food or asking for directions…
Like you for France, I’ve frequently criticised some of the political decisions in Germany, even though our death toll per million people is, I think, about 5 to 6 times lower than in the US. And we’ve had Indian posters discussing, South American, various Asian countries etc.
Norway e.g. just doesn’t have a lot to complain about I guess…

And the UK government’s (mis-)handling of the pandemic has been discussed and criticised over months on here (or rather on our former home TIA) - haven’t seen a lot of posters defending them, even some of the Conservative voters seemed fairly disillusioned the longer this went on.
Also there’s an upcoming election in the middle of this pandemic in the US. And, like him or not, Trump is just the gift that keeps on giving in terms of discussion…

4 Likes

I think it’s also important to recognise that compared to the US, France is a much smaller global influencer. If France had someone like Trump at the helm it would generate news interest, of course, but nowhere near on the same level as Trump leading the US.

5 Likes

For the first part on COVID numbers - Thank you for pointing out my error. In this case I was the one that got sloppy. The UK (as you pointed out) does not have more cases per population than the USA. I wrote my sentence incorrectly. I meant to write that the UK has more COVID deaths per population (612 / 1M people) than the USA (593 / 1M people). So thank you for pointing that out. By the way, by the time all is said and done I expect the USA numbers to eclipse those of the UK. This isn’t because of policy from the National, State or Local governments, but rather because people won’t listen and do what they are supposed to do or just be smart about the situation.

Now the rest - I never said that anyone was ‘picking’ on the USA. I am just always fascinated that so many in the UK in particular seem to have very strong interest and feelings on the USA government and COVID. Right now the COVID trends in the USA are for cases and deaths to be dropping, so hopefully that puts us on the right path and we can learn from others and avoid some of the secondary rises that others are experiencing.

Now on Trump. As difficult it is to believe, he won the last election (and it’s possible he wins this one) because he was the better candidate of the 2 (I hate hate hate our 2-party system). Trump has many many many flaws, but Hillary Clinton had them too, and her party ran a bad campaign. Trump isn’t likeable to many people, but he’s not an idiot. Do I wish he was our president - NO!!! Policy wise he’s not the worst we’ve had - if we could only get him to shut his mouth.

I understand that Trump and the USA have more influence in the World than most leaders and countries. What surprises me though is when I travel to the UK (or did before COVID) or Europe, I’d get questions, but they almost always were about something personal with him not policy or governance - and often with great exaggeration and incorrect information. My involvement here started because I saw some posts that were inaccurate, and I tried to put more information out there. Trump definitely has faults, but it’s always best to blame him for things he actually did or said - there are plenty of them - rather than for something(s) that didn’t happen. If this thread is to discuss Trump, I might stick around. If it’s just to bash him, then I’ll leave everyone to it and no harm to me. I just thought some might want the real story.

Finally - The USA isn’t really a mess. There are parts that are messy of course, but overall it’s doing fine.

He is a cast iron, stone cold idiot.

This is the sort of milquetoast intellectualism that puts a commitment to taking a position that appears reasonable and middle ground above actually being right. It’s easy to sit back and say “they’re all crooks, does it really matter?” It’s an intellectually decrepit position though when the difference between politics as usual (used in a pejorative sense) vs this is so stark.

Trump is exhausting. The degree to which he is doing things that are damaging our government and our country is near impossible to keep up with and so I get that people get inured to them, or even downplay them because they head treats it like it’s all the same story. But the biggest issue is that despite him kind of doing out in the open, they are not the sort of things that we see the effect of immediately in our day to day lives. But they are hitting at the very fabric of our governing institutions and of our society. And it’s not even being done to achieve some grand political realignment. It’s being done purely on his own whim and for his personal benefit.

If you want to defend Trump on the supposed merits then do so, but actually do it with concrete comments.

6 Likes

Wasn’t aware I was defending him --> I wasn’t . I just wanted to correct bad information to make sure people only slam him for what he actually does rather than what “everyone knows he did”.

I’ll just refrain from posting since more middle of the road views are “intellectually decrepit”.

Pile on and have fun.

1 Like

Don’t be so precious. You’ve repeatedly now offered generic statements about how Trump isn’t that bad, his policies aren’t that bad. Why? On what basis? I dont know because you havent offered anything concrete to support that (other than his bump stock EO). What I do know is you have said this while critiquing critiques of him of being from uninformed people swayed by a media who simply don’t like him.

I have a real problem with people who commit to the supposed middle ground more than they care about being actually correct. It’s an easy position to scope out as it takes essentially zero work. That is why it’s an intellectually decrepit perspective. These are the sort of people who just shrug and say “they’re all as bad as each other.” Without you backing up any of your comments that is precisely how you are coming across, especially as some of your comments reveal massive gaps in your own knowledge about his actions (“Im not even sure why [Covid is] his fault”) while criticising other people for commenting without knowing.

6 Likes

And Americans in general know even less or actually close to nothing about politics anywhere else in the world. At least in my experience. Doesn’t stop them from telling you the US is the best in almost anything either.

5 Likes

Americans in general don’t even know very much about the civics of their own country.

7 Likes

I love the little insults you throw into things - though maybe you meant “precious” as something positive. I wasn’t going into great detail because I wasn’t defending Trump.

I do see that you have a real problem with people that commit to the supposed middle ground. I love this. So in your view if I don’t have an extreme viewpoint, I’m lazy and don’t care about accuracy? That would be so much fun to debate in person - but not on the computer.

Once AGAIN - the only reason I posted initially was to make corrections to false information on the part of certain posters - not to defend Trump. Correcting inaccuracies and defending someone are 2 different things. Don’t attribute a label to me for that. The bump stock came up was because of a direct response to a specific comment about Trump inciting people to use machine guns (which was incorrect). It was not meant in any way to say whether Trump was good or not — only to point out that he has made it illegal to convert a semi-automatic to a fully-automatic weaponry.

So enjoy your beliefs. I may or may not agree with them, but I defend your right to have them when based on factual information. If you don’t want to give me the same courtesy, then that’s fine with me too.

This is a great post and something I’ve had to come to terms with recently. I’ve generally tried to stay above the partisan nature of politics here in the US, but as you correctly point out, there comes a point when committing to the middle ground flies in the face of the facts and available evidence. Trump is an insidious presence in the White House, and the GOP almost to a man are complicit in enabling him and in some cases encouraging him to commit crimes and make horrible, mind-blowing decisions from his office. He is an incompetent buffoon and a general embarrassment. You can examine each policy on merit and maybe find some arguments in favor of them, but as a body of work, it’s horrendous, and easily sets him up as one of - if not the worst president of all time. Harding and Taft are the only others that come anywhere close in my admittedly limited knowledge.

Is it fair to say that media coverage of Trump has been largely unbalanced? Sure, but I would counter by saying that Trump’s presidency has been unbalanced towards incompetence, croneyism, nepotism, outright lawlessness, and an obvious favor for the more extreme right wing elements of our society. trump is unworthy of being defended, or of even attempting to tamp down concern over his administration.

Further to this, I’d like to point out that I don’t believe Trump to be the cause of the major issues afflicting the US right now, but an outward symptom of a system that is completely broken and in increasingly urgent need of correction. That the democrats are really just a slightly better alternative to the GOP in a “lesser of two evils” kind of way is indicative of much-needed change around how politics in this country works. The massive, almost omnipotent influence of money in US politics is a detriment to everyone, because it is unsustainable long-term.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

6 Likes

You can take the DioufGates out of Big Noyd, but you can’t take the Big Noyd out of DioufGates…

2 Likes