The What's cooking thread

It’s probably the difference in the dishes that we make. Not saying that you don’t get salmon in India. Generally the dishes that we make in India , i.e the curries etc, don’t suit for a Salmon for example.

2 Likes

Yeah. I assumed that either the fishes are processed in a way that there’s no bones or you simply don’t eat fishes that can’t be processed that way.

Can i get this recipe? Wont try with illish as its too fucking expensivee… but still

1 Like

1000lbs of dried cherry heading to the smoker at my brother’s

2 Likes

Yeah, don’t try Ilish, it totally ruins the magnificent fish.

I cooked it with Pangas, not sure what it’s called there.

Garlic, zinger, onion, turmeric, salt, chills, tomatoes, cooking oil and a bit of water. Keep them on a low flame until the tomatoes are mushy. Put the fishes and perhaps a bit more water and keep them on medium flame.

Garlic, Ginger …will it be a paste ? Or are the whole things added all at once ?

Pangas seems to be a name for Basa. Not a fan of that fish

Either way , That’s one more style of “Indian” cooking and I include Bangladeshi cooking there that i need to learn about

Garlic and zinger paste would be best. They would mesh easily. Turmeric and chillies powder is fine. Onions to be chopped.

Yeah, you add all these together. That way they will combine well. You will have to stir occasionally.

I used to love Pangas. But they are mostly farmed now and tastes meh.

1 Like

I’ll take a few pointers of that… Either way , there’s sense in getting onions to boil more rather than fry more…so that’s similar to the coastal andhra fish dishes that we make to yours

1 Like

also , are the onion & ginger garlic paste fried before the water is added ?

1 Like

No. You add all the spices, oil and water. Let the whole thing stir on low flame. Stir occasionally.

let me try that with one piece of fish. The ingredients are pretty much the same but still

1 Like

sorry of asking so many questions , I was pretty close to launching a restaurant in Hyd. Covid fucked it up totally.

1 Like

It’s okay mate. Happy to help.

There will always be pin bones in a salmon to be removed unless you completely cut that section of the meat out, which is a waste IMO. Have been chasing coho in the river for a week without success. Big spring run this year but I just don’t have the gear to hook a 35-40lb salmon

2 Likes

I’ll definitely have a couple off you next time if possible?

1 Like

Pin bones aren’t really bones at all though (calcified nerves endings), so not really the same problem of real bones. Agree completely about it being waste, only thing worse is a filet that has been run through a ‘pin bone remover’, which means the filet has been allowed to sit and soften. I’d rather eat it as fresh as possible and just pick them out.

Which river were you on?

That’s huge :flushed:

Still wouldn’t want to get one stuck in my throat. I already have an indifference for most fish.

Chilliwack River system. Seen some big fish pulled this year when I was out. Chinook are running as are coho which are a nicer meat

1 Like

I hook into one of those, it breaks my rod. Need a proper drift rod to chase thise. Shimano Technium, TrophyXL, etc