Thiago ALCANTARA: 2022/23

11 Likes

Thiago is pure class, and as a human being fits in with what I expect of a Liverpool player, high lighted by the clip posted by @redfanman.
I personally disagree with @GermanRed regarding his energy level and defensive qualities and also his signing leading to the end of our pressing game.
Apart from his first season where he was guilty of making rash challenges and giving away stupid fouls, I have generally been impressed with his ability defensively. He holds his own, is combative aerially and on the floor and seems to win a lot of ball or at least disrupt the game.
I definitely have no concerns regarding his energy or commitment.

I actually, believe Thiago has the athleticism and game knowledge to play deep into his mid 30ā€™s.

3 Likes

I donā€™t care if he plays until his mid 40s as long as we donā€™t offer the crock an extension. :joy:

and it fits!

1 Like

Certainty heā€™ll be leaving on a free the summer after next.

1 Like

Tall girl next to her turning around in Moā€™s direction, ā€œAny fucking chance I can get 1 too?ā€

A certainty ? How do you work that out ?

Because 1. We wonā€™t sell him, 2. Weā€™re not renewing him and 3. Weā€™re happy to do so as seen in recent years with Can Gini and now Ox and Naby.

You know this for a fact do you ? You donā€™t think thereā€™s any circumstances under which he might be offered an extension ?

2 Likes

No chance do you not think weā€™d have done so already?, heā€™s on 200k a week Peter and as good as the guy is heā€™s unreliable. Weā€™re not gonna go into the 24/25 season with a 31 year old Fab, 34 year old Hendo and 33 year old Thiago.

I happen to think thereā€™s every chance heā€™ll be offered an extension. Heā€™s too good just to let go.

1 Like

There might be a clause to extend his contract for another year.

If not I hope the club has finally learnt its lesson after Sturridge, Lallana, Ox and Naby.

We didnā€™t wanna give a 29 year old a new contract who was never injured, and would be on less than what Thiago is currently on.

Thiago may be technically superior in every way but what good is that for 1/3 of the season.

Great point, except we did offer Wijnaldum a new contract, we just werenā€™t willing to pay as much as PSG (rightly so).

We also offered a 31 year old Henderson a new contract. And how old is Milner again?

Facts eh.

5 Likes

I actually always thought of Thiago as something of a ā€œloanā€ - in that he wouldnā€™t really be part of our culture just a piece that happens to be really good and willing to come here for a while. I think Iā€™m wrong though, he seems really invested and passionate about the club.

I could see him being renewed but Fabinho being sold and Henderson becoming a Milner-like bit part player. We need more energy in midfield though, whether Thiago is part of it or not.

5 Likes

Our contract offer to him was also counter balanced by the lustful whispers he was getting from Barca. Thatā€™s what made him turn his nose up at what we were offering.

2 Likes

They are facts but youā€™re neglecting the main points that merit a contract extension in playing time/injury record and current wages.

Also we couldā€™ve offered Wijnaldum a new contract well before PSG came tapping up, we didnā€™t.

We did. That is the fact you 1) seemed unaware of, then 2) ignored.

We had a contract offer on the table for ages that Gini refused to sign claiming he was unhappy with it. In reality it wasnt about what we were offering, but about wanting to join Barca who had tapped him up. He backed himself into a corner with his attitude to our contract so that when Barca realized they didnt have the money to follow through he had already made his position with us untenable. PSG then stepped in as his only viable suitor.

6 Likes

Barca, PSG whoever it was that came tapping him up we couldvā€™e acted far sooner.

Contract offer was on the table for him in December, a month if not weeks before he couldā€™ve entered pre-talks with other clubs in Europe.

If we offered the 4 year 150k a week deal or whatever he wanted, he wouldvā€™e signed the next day.