Those jammy fuckers down the M62

Just want Sir Jim to buy in, keep the Glaziers and Quatar to buy us. I know but now, money talks.

Nah, not for me. FSG might not be saints, but they’re at least not human rights abusing scum who want to use sports to launder their image.

If we get bought by an oil state then I’ll likely stop watching and buying merch. Football is already close to dead, but at least Liverpool are still somewhat on the level.

11 Likes

I gave it a thumbs up for your honesty. It’s not a popular opinion, and Peaches nails it with what many people might say.

With that said, I half wonder if over time there has been a drip, drip sort of thing and resistance has worn down for some, so that perhaps there might be more fans than we realize who would be open to Qatari money.

Even without a drip drip, if we were bought by Qatar tomorrow way more fans would get on board with it than seems to be the case with it just being discussed a hypothetical. I do think it would have a significantly more negative impact with liverpool than with most clubs

2 Likes

For all the old-school supporters who would walk away (me included), there’d be many more global “fans” who would be attracted to the club.

These new fans don’t give a flying fuck about history, ethics or principles. All that matters to them is instant gratification.

6 Likes

I want to win. It’s very simple. Given Liverpool’s history, can’t exactly hold the moral high ground.

Absolutely it’s about winning, you won’t find any fan anywhere in the world who doesn’t want that…but there are other means.

Jimmy boy or Glazers buying us would be 100x better,

Leave the Qatari’s to the Mancs they go hand in hand, the Manc scums would be able to connect on a more even playing field with them than if it were Liverpool…

I do wonder how many would actually carry out that claim. Being old school doesn’t mean you can’t embrace change. No matter how questionable it is.

Could you elaborate on this, please?

1 Like

Slavery?

Much of Liverpool’s wealth came from slavery. From about 1750 until 1807, between a third and a half of Liverpool’s trade was with Africa and the Caribbean. Virtually all the leading inhabitants of the town, including the Mayors, Town Councillors and MPs, invested in the slave trade and profited from it.

What are you on about? So, someone can’t have morals now because of terrible things done in the past?

You do know slavery still goes on don’t you?

That goes for Portugal, Holland, France, Spain etc and also parts of Africa itself.

1 Like

Plainly you can read so you know exactly what I’m on about. The idea that ill gotten wealth is at odds with Liverpool’s historical traditions is clearly, demonstrably and for many, uncomfortably, laughable.

1 Like

So what? How’s that relevant to this conversation?

So, someone can’t have morals now because of terrible things done in the past?

What about this question?

Because ill gotten wealth is ill gotten wealth. So of course it’s relevant. It would be hard to find wealth and riches gained by a city or a country gained in a lilly white way.

Also, people are talking of a more ‘recent’ history.

The country benefitted very well from Empire.

No town or city I assume wasn’t touched by that wealth.

And it was ghastly, and however many railways you find it wasn’t aimed as a benefit of the people’s of that country.

3 Likes

Didn’t UK as such benefit massively from colonialism ?

3 Likes

Yes, that’s why it’s ok now to go down the same path according to some or one on here’s logic.

4 Likes

Of course you can. I was responding to the notion that Quatar would be particularly at odds with Liverpool as if the city is the paragon of morality.

1 Like

Funny thing is that in another thead on this forum, slavery is considered a modern event and VERY much relevant to today.