Those jammy fuckers down the M62

I guess so, but when you’re going after players familiar to the manager then there has to be some level of challenge as a check at the very least. We have been partially guilty of it ourselves, especially under Rodgers.

Externally, it looks like that’s been pushed to one side because EtH has said so.

They would have input, but they wouldn’t be the ones to make the final decision, they would have to be the manager

Player recruitment is too big a job these days. The days of a manager being able to scout players by just playing other teams in your league twice a year is gone so now not only do you have to have someone lead it for whom it is their full time job, they need a team working under them.

Utd have tried to walk a fine line between putting that team in place and letting it do its thing vs supporting a new manager they rate highly to help him get started at a new club by bringing in some players he had specifically identified. The latter approach is not necessarily at odds with the former if they are players the team had identified and its part of a coherent plan, but by all accounts (the reporting and the eye test) it does not appear to be. The result is a manager now weighed down by the lack of success of the players he demanded, which puts even more pressure on him personally for their lack of success.

3 Likes

That is the English model, but it is far from the only one. English football managers perform two functions that across all sport are far more commonly split into two distinct roles.

1 Like

Looking at this from the other side… It is easier for the manager to state ‘categorically’, who he doesn’t want at the club… and that is unlikely to be up for any further debate beyond that in-house, while agreeing to a select few that he could work with…!
This then surely offers the confinement of a framework for recruitment, and other staff to work within…!

https://x.com/NoContextMarkG/status/1718741320359887322?s=20

3 Likes

Problem is it’s buying the right player not just any.

There has a been a clamber from some of our fan base for signings and for lots of money spent on those but look at what we did and what they did even this summer.

Also compare it with Chelsea, they don’t seem to have a plan for Lavia even before he was injured.

And what are we hearing already? Going back in the market, something will potentially work at some point but it’s not a long term solution.

2 Likes

Makes me laugh hearing United fans blaming the owners for the players being lazy bastards.

From their autopsy thread…

Football should not be discussed here. This is beyond that.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Was selling Fred the biggest mistake they made this summer?

No, I think the biggest mistake would have to be the one that they made to allow that statement to even be a logical possibility. Presumably that someone they were buying would constitute an upgrade that would render Fred redundant.

1 Like

yeah , lol … I actually thought SBYM was joking when I first read it.

1 Like

I was!!

Things must be really fucked when Fred would improve your midfield…

Quite a feat, to be honest.

2 Likes

Mc-Fred

ha ha … I couldn’t figure out if you were or not … strange days indeed ! :grin:

2 Likes

That actually is Maguire

That was his mugshot in Greece.

The fans love blaming everyone but they themselves are equal culprits in this. Expecting everyone and everything to fall in place immediately just because they are Manchester United is why they are here. Equally responsible are people like Neville who are as stupid as your online fans are. You need patience to build a squad. It doesn’t happen overnight especially if your last successful manager leaves you and your squad in a disastrous state.

1 Like

I said on here a little while back that I doubt Mount is an upgrade on Fred. I stand by that.

Terrifically bad signing. Absolutely the last type of player their midfield needed, given he’s barely even a midfielder.

Signing a 19 year old to fix their attack was the icing on the cake. Oh, no, that was re-signing Jonny Evans.

At least they have a safe pair of hands between the sticks. O, na, na they don’t.

Stick that contract on the table and give Erik bin bags whatever he wants.

6 Likes