Threads going off-topic

What news is being buried in a thread like a Henderson transfer thread? I keep hearing people say things like “I see 42 new pists in the X transfer thread and then its not anything but people making comments”.

So?

Henderson and Fabinho are fucking off, we k ow that, what else is there to say? Is the thread supposed to stay dormant until official word comes through? Having threads go off topic actually allows for some conversation and discussion.

Also conversations about SA are absolutely relevant in a thread on Henderson or Fabinho. Also our ownership thread or any transfer thread with that government involved.

Seems to me we’d be losing much of what makes this site interesting if the conversations were strictly limited to exactly what the title of the thread is. The title/first post of any topic is a launching point for a conversation not a limit to it.

13 Likes

Because that’s what most people want to do on a discussion forum.

I don’t mean this in a nasty way but my honest opinion is, given the rules you laid out in your opening post, that I wouldn’t have signed up to your forum and I’d probably leave this one if it got that way here.

3 Likes

Please don’t leave.

The only person on here who knows anywhere near as much as you about under-18s is @SBYM - and he doesn’t focus on their football.

2 Likes

I agree with @Sweeting. The risk of trying to segregate discussions by ‘keeping them in good order’, is that many threads will end up being dormant.

Also, we are a small forum. It’s not as if we had thousands of posts to manage, or to wade through.

Just like others, I don’t find that a discussion about SA politics is out of order in a thread involving a move from a player to SA, just like it would be ok to discuss politics in Florida if one of our players had an offer from Miami or whatever.

But the little off-topic jokes, the memes, the gifs who have nothing to do with the debate at hand are often a nuisance and can easily get out of hand. And that’s where I find the idea of a ‘Graveyard’-thread appealing, as it would make the mod job that little bit easier, and I’m always in favour of making things easier… :blush:

So, how should we call it? The Graveyard, The Crypt, The Bin? What else?

1 Like

I’m off for a coffee back when my sugar levels are back to normal, in my case very high!

I disagree with you there, mate. Sure, people stray off topic (usually led by me) but they generally know when to rein themselves in; the forum self-moderates reasonably well, I would say.

7 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF

1 Like

I’m not leaving, just making the point that if we are strictly moderating every conversation then I’d just lose interest.

4 Likes

If you’re looking for a good pastie I’d recommend the Crumplehorn Horn Inn in Polpero. Enormous and very tasty.

Ah! Sorry for derailing the thread.

Goodison Park… full of rubbish that doesn’t fit anywhere else.

3 Likes

Seems like tautology

My suggestion was just that. I don’t want to stifle conversation or see forum activity dwindle, I would just like to see it managed a little differently*, so that I don’t have to read 100 posts about religion when I simply want to know if there’s any movement on Fabinho’s transfer.

*not a swipe at how it is being managed a present

But you can just go to the official site and see if he’s been sold

1 Like

That’s not as much fun as the rumours of medicals, flight trackers, wage/fee negotiations etc.

To clarify, I’m not talking about having a sterile topic. Discussion directly related to the player and his potential transfer and all the posts around it are very welcome (rumours, medicals, negations etc). Hundreds of posts around SA’s horrible human rights records and religion are not (IMO), if people want to discuss this there are relevant topics for both already.

1 Like

Oh yeah, generally, there aren’t too many problems. As said, we are a small forum.

However, even so, it can become too much at times for some. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have that discussion.

1 Like

The Trash Fire

Respectfully, it seems more like there are subjects that are actually germane to the topic which you simply do not like.

- - - - -

I’m with @Sweeting in that I would hate to see nuanced conversations sequestered into separate threads. It creates an artificially “flat” landscape, suppresses engaging topics, and also restricts how many users will participate on various subjects.

4 Likes

I was going to say Old Toilet, but this is better.

1 Like

Respectfully, I disagree on the topics of religion and politics being relevant to a discussion on a player moving from Club A to Club B.

But we can agree to disagree… world would be a very boring place if we all shared the same opinions.