Threads going off-topic

What I really would like to see, is Fabinho and Henderson getting sold.

Unfortunately mods are extremely unhelpful about it.

(I think mods are doing a great job and when the season starts, there won’t be more to complain about than usual)

On the Saudi Arabia issue, I do think the subject is so large and complex that it has overgrown the individual Henderson and Fabinho transfer threads. It’s definitely worth having its own topic, which it does. But that doesn’t mean that any discussion along those lines in the transfer threads is problematically “off topic”. The fact that it crops up there organically happens for a reason. The general thrust of the conversation does still follow from the basic question of ‘what does it mean, if anything, for Jordan Henderson to accept a contract in Saudi Arabia?’ and naturally returns to that point as a touchstone.

The “stop politicizing football” crowd can get in the bin though.

9 Likes

So what do he focus on?

Oh, don’t answer. I can hazard a guess…or two. :wink: :joy:

It’s definitely a problem, there’s always going to be tangents in any thread but it is annoying when those tangents aren’t ‘organic’ and particularly when it’s a new signing rumour thread.

For example I think was the Lavia thread, there were about 20 posts about Trent playing in midfield.

Firstly it’s a topic that has been done to death, it wasn’t talked about with any reference to Lavia, it didn’t arise from a comment about Lavia, we have both a Trent thread and a midfield thread.

In that kind of thread, people are eager for news or want to discuss the pros/cons of the signing, how they will fit in etc. so those unnecessary tangents are annoying.

In the Fab and Hendo threads it’s not a problem. There’s not really anything we can do other than express our opinion about them leaving or not. The Saudi talk stems from people explaining their opinions and others challenging that opinion, which is all healthy enough.

It is really annoying as a mostly lurker, but still my go to LFC forum. I get more relevant news here than any other news source and your “dodgy” rumors have played out way faster than anywhere else.

Good debate on here too plus a lot of good quality sarcasm. Agree its annoying when you get 70 new posts and its about Saturday Night Live. But again I’m still finding out about potential players miles faster on here than anywhere else - take Dominik Szoboszlai as one example, we’d been discussing how superb it would be to get him, then it firmed up.

5 Likes

For all of us.

I agree to an extent.
Tangents appear and form discussion and thats all good.

But it gets tedious when the discussion on SNL etc becomes the thrust of the debate. Not the topic in the title.

1 Like

Please scroll past the next thirty posts full of double entendres containing the word ‘thrust’.

1 Like

Celebrate We Did It GIF

1 Like

My two cents is that you’ll have threads being more organized once the silly season is dealt with.

It is just a suggestion… but, if the mods think a thread has gone off topic, then surely, that is the nature of the beast of what happens on a discussions forum - and this should be expected, and solutions already to hand…!

Moaning and groaning about it, is all well and good, but for every forumite that disagrees with this hijacking practice, there will be another forumite that welcomes the diversity, and sees these distractions as little more than a bump in the trail…

Would a trial period be of any use to obtain further feedback on resolving an issue that is falling on opposite side of a line…?? Such as, moving the off subject posts to their appropriate thread… BUT ALSO, leave the offending posts in place, and change the text colour itself to a red or a green, or something that immediately stands out from the normal colour of print…

This way it serves both sides of the equation. Either read the coloured ink, or quickly scroll past them until posts on the thread return on subject.

As mentioned earlier by @cynicaloldgit, the site is more or less self regulating, and it is unlikely forumites take the thread off-course on purpose… but having a coloured visual might make everyone more conscious the thread is going out of control and needs reining in…

Like I mentioned, just a suggestion is all :man_shrugging:

@cynicaloldgit reported that there was an extreme load warning on the site the other day.

Anyways, back on topic.

I was telling you all about that time we were debating whether or not Makati Red should become a mod. I have a photographic memory of the meeting.

TjCdAMaRAiNpaTxFPtfNT3Shz6Cnv2q5MoQED0QrZy8

And then I said to the President…

Check out @PeachesEnRegalia in the bikini.

Such a fucking weirdo.

1 Like

On topic…srsly…

This is definitely one of the most enjoyable forums I have frequented.

Perfect harmony most of the time…wouldn’t change a thing.

1 Like

God damnit.

those are not shit pictures,

they are works of art,

trust me…

the banned LFC eddie in the meeting after wearing a fake black beard to disguise himself…

Giant seagull poops on mans head 😂 - YouTube)

1 Like

Has anyone noticed a marked increase in threads going off topic since this going off topic thread was introduced?