UEFA Champions League

Villareal are the team everyone wanted to play in the knockout stages. Classic example of ‘be careful what you wish for’ and I’m sure Klopp will be instilling this in the team if we progress tonight.

3 Likes

Definitely, my take after watching the first leg (not live, knew the result before watching, which always alters how you watch) was that Villareal probably had not done enough on a night where they outplayed Bayern. But that match was a matter of Bayern not being effective in the Villareal end more than Villareal dominating play. Villareal only had 2 shots on goal over the two matches!

First leg semi will be at Home for us.

1 Like

Provided we get a result tonight. I don’t want anyone getting ahead of themselves here.

3 Likes

With all respect to Benfica, I don’t really care who we beat in the semis so long as we get Real in the final and exact some revenge. Would much rather face RM than Shitty in the final. The latter would be more difficult in a one off game plus losing to RM would hurt less.

4 Likes

Having watched 3 quarters of the tie Bayern were just not very good. Cross after cross it was very easy to defend.

2 Likes

This did not age well

https://twitter.com/i/status/1513996169546014739

6 Likes

Potentially 3 Spanish sides in the semi finals

1 Like

champions league omg GIF by FC Bayern Munich

In fairness at least you have a reason. I might be in the same position as you if Hollywood FC hadn’t fucked up the 1999 champions league final…

I probably shouldn’t have had “2021/22 quadruple winners” tattoo’d last week…

3 Likes

I really hope so!

We’ve known better Bayern sides, yeah.

Villarreal also needs to be credited for their results in Europe for the past two seasons. That’s no fluke, they’re obviously good and dangerous in Europe also with Emery’s skills with a team of that level/expectation and experience.

It’s a little bit more complex than just put it all down to “Bayern would be more open and Villarreal would park the bus”. There’s style, but then there’s also quality, mentality, experience, moment.

You have to be realistic and say that we have a nice opportunity in our path towards another final. But that’s it, it’s just objective and then of course some surprises can happen from time to time.

We should be too good to go through, but stranger things have happened and Liverpool were also favourites/outsiders at times in the past, we had our own lessons in many ways.

4 Likes

This is classic Bayern, I bet they’re already sweating over which Villareal players they’ll have to buy now

3 Likes

You really love them don’t you … :blush:

3 Likes

Just let me have this moment.

2 Likes

I am hoping that Simone and his warriors (thugs when they play against us) can manage to devastate City.

4 Likes

What I mean is the style of play suits us better than Villareal‘s.

1 Like

And I feel some posters have too much respect, but the Bayernteam nowadays aren‘t as good as a few years ago

1 Like

I think their midfield is very average for a top European team. Defense isn’t too great either.

3 Likes

Villareal are wank. Emery is a master tactician, but he relies on counter-attacks and keeping game low-scoring. We have enough firepower to pull them apart and bang in some goals. 3-0 in the first leg kills the tie.

2 Likes