UEFA Champions League

Away goals have settled ties in 90mins too. Now that’s not going to happen. A 0-0 & 1-1 tie will go into extra-time.

3 Likes

Oh yeah; my bad. Still half asleep.

1 Like

But in the past, say a tie ends 3-3 over the course of two legs, with 2-1 results both games, and the tie needs to go to extra time - then the away goal still stands, meaning after all the effort over 180 mins to end up at a stalemate, the home team are in a worst position should they concede, needing two in extra time to take the lead in the tie.

I think, like all changes in football, we are always a bit hesitant and we like what we know. It’ll be fine at the end.

2 Likes

Yeah, but the home team have home advantage (obvs).

This isn’t a step into the unknown, it’s a step back. We know what it was like before, and it was worse. I don’t see why it’ll be different this time.

3 Likes

Yeah of course. was just making the point to Ifi that it’s not always gonna mean extra time with the change,

I guess the argument now is home advantage is no longer that great that it matters? Either way, footy will be played for 180 mins, and it makes more sense that the team with most goals wins, regardless of where the tie was played.

Football tactics have evolved massively in 50 years, the way they’ve evolved in the last 20 is drastic.

I don’t have a strong opinion on it but 50 years is a very long time to judge something on. Weren’t they tossing coins a few years before that?

1 Like

No away goals this time. That’s good, giving up a goal at home wouldn’t be as disastrous as it can be against very defence minded teams.

I’m hoping it could take away some cageyness, lead to a bit more open first legs of the knockout phase of the tournament. Although I guess it could backfire as well, with less incentive for the away team to attack…? Maybe the likes of Atletico will become the extreme version of themselves.

2 Likes

I think the biggest downside is more games with ET. They surely have to allow 2 extra subs for it.

2 Likes

That has always been the case though…hasn’t it? :thinking:

1 Like

Not when a match ends 2-2 on aggregate and one of the teams has scored an away goal…

The team scoring most goals has always won the tie. Away goals only counted double if scores were level.

2 Likes

Prishtina 2 - 0 Inter Escaldes

(Krasniqi 45’, 58’)

Three champions league goals in two games for the 26 year old midfielder…

Gini replacement???

2 Likes

2021/22 UEFA Champions League first qualifying round draw

Group 1
Fola Esch (LUX) vs Lincoln Red Imps (GIB)*
Slovan Bratislava (SVK)* vs Shamrock Rovers (IRL)
Malmö (SWE)* vs Riga FC (LVA)
Bodø/Glimt (NOR) vs Legia Warszawa (POL)*

Group 2
Connah’s Quay Nomads (WAL) vs Alashkert (ARM)*
HJK Helsinki (FIN) vs Budućnost Podgorica (MNE)*
CFR Cluj (ROU)* vs Borac Banja Luka (BIH)
Shkëndija (MKD)* vs Mura (SVN)

Group 3
Teuta (ALB) vs Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)*
Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO)* vs Neftçi (AZE)
Maccabi Haifa (ISR) vs Kairat Almaty (KAZ)*
Ludogorets 1945 (BUL)* vs Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR)

Group 4
Ferencváros (HUN)* vs Prishtina (KOS)
Žalgiris Vilnius (LTU)* vs Linfield (NIR)
Flora Tallinn (EST)* vs Hibernians (MLT)
Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)* vs Valur (ISL)

*Seeded teams

1 Like

I’ve seen three of those teams in the flesh, any advance on that.

You’ve got me beat by 3

1 Like

I’d love to see Connah’s Quay Nomads v Alashkert. That sounds like a classic.

1 Like

Remember when we started at this stage?

2 Likes

Saw the name Ludogorets and felt a shudder :scream_cat:

2 Likes

I had to check if they are actually in the fixtures.

:rofl:

1 Like

Imagine the Connah’s Quay lads going to Armenia. How would they get there? Where would they stay? Are there any hotels in Alashkert? What kind of food do they eat? It would make a brilliant documentary.

2 Likes