UEFA Champions League

Tripadvisor knows:

1 Like

They’d probably expect to arrive by boat. Either way it’s a great story

1 Like

Yeah, I wanted to say this. At least the Welsh will be traveling to a capital.

Either way, a nightmare for the person in charge of logistics.

Flora 2-0 Hibernians
(Sappinen 75’, 89’)

Ferencváros 3-0 Prishtina
(Tokmac Nguen 71’, Kabir 74’, Blazic 78’)

HJK 3-1 Buducnost Podgorica
(Ro. Riski 5’,Valencic 7’,Saksela 13’ - Raickovic 35’ (p))

Zalgiris 3-1 Linfield
(Videmont 38’,Kis 45’ (p),Johns 68’ (og) - Manzinga 54’)

CFR Cluj 3-1 Borac
(Omrani 11’,Deac 28’,Sigurjónsson 60’ - Moraitis 45’+1)

Fola 2-2 Lincoln Red Imps
(Bensi 65’, Ahmetxheka 66’ – Carralero 26’, Britto 50’)

Shkëndija 0-1 Mura
(Bobicanec 28’ (p) )

1 Like

Well the reason it was introduced in 1965 (the golden age of catenaccio), was because teams would defend at all costs during the away leg, providing dull and boring games. The away goal rule helped to go away from that, and allow for a bit more interest and suspense in those ties.

I think indeed that with the removal of the rule, teams like Atletico or some Italian clubs might go back to an extreme form of defensive football, especially when having to play against superior opposition. It’s not out of the question.

Also, the secondary effect of removing the away goal rule is that more ties will end up as a draw, and thus, more extra-times will be played, and more penalty sessions. Some teams, especially lesser teams, will speculate on this.

Generally, in the long term, the change might favour smaller, defensively orientated teams. I’m a bit surprised that the current power houses in the game, those who promote football as a show, have accepted this change so easily.

3 Likes

In the big match of the day it’s Connah’s Quay 0 Alashkert 0

3 Likes

Connah’s Quay scored a late equaliser to finish an entertaining match 2-2.

The Quay now face a tough second leg away in a town with no hotels and probably few restaurants.

1 Like

I’ve been doing a bit of research and it turns out that Alashkert are actually based in Yerevan, which will be relatively metropolitan for the Connah’s Quay lads. The club has a short, but chequered history:

1 Like

Nice weather :wink:

Alashkert wins 3-2 on aggregate.

2 Likes

Looks like CQ put up a decent fight, but Alashkert were too strong in the end. Looking forward to seeing who the boys from Yerevan meet in the next round.

PS Asha Bhosle is fantastic!

1 Like

LEAGUE PATH

Tuesday 20 July
Rapid Wien vs Sparta Praha
Celtic vs Midtjylland

Wednesday 20 July
PSV Eindhoven vs Galatasaray

CHAMPIONS PATH

Tuesday 20 July
Alashkert vs Sheriff Tiraspol
Lincoln Red Imps vs CFR Cluj
Ferencváros vs Žalgiris Vilnius
Dinamo Zagreb vs Omonoia

Wednesday 21 July
Kairat Almaty vs Crvena zvezda
Malmö vs HJK Helsinki
Mura vs Ludogorets
Slovan Bratislava vs Young Boys
Olympiacos vs Neftçi
Legia Warszawa vs Flora Tallinn

2 Likes

Alashkert v Sheriff Tiraspol is another mouth watering tie!

For those unfamiliar with ‘The Wasps’ -

1 Like

Interesting, right!

I’ve got a feeling that the Wasps will be too strong for our friends from Alashkert. They’ve got a very multinational lineup. It makes you wonder how a young Brazilian lad feels when he realises his dream of playing in Europe, only to find himself in Moldova. Still, they’re playing in the Champions League, which is more than most of us have ever done, I presume.
I wonder if they play the CL anthem at these fixtures.

No they’re not. These are qualifiers.

Just ask Everton.

1 Like

Sheriff Tiraspol has played in Europa League four times since 2009. Everton has played in Europa League three times during the same period.

2 Likes

Sheriff > Everton obvs

1 Like