UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Absolutely it is. Yes with regard to the EU too, they’ve funded all sorts of community type projects across the UK. They provided an avenue for funding outside Westminster although I concede I don’t know how local councils would apply for those funds.

It’s already well established that Westminster is not replacing the funding to Wales that came from the EU.

And just like that a convenient article arises to trounce any argument on how governments can affect poverty levels

1 Like

Posting this before i go to bed. Yes, I know. It’s kind of the wrong thread (I know, I know), but it also involves the UK significantly and the reason why I chose this thread is that I have been too prolific lately and so have hit the spam filter in Breaking News and Non Breaking News. Thus I am sure you will forgive me taking that into account.
It involves Russia and Europe including the UK and deals with geopolitical Real Politik, Russia using gas as a diplomatic hammer, which will increase electricity prices also in the UK and limit, perhaps, how far European (I include the UK here of course, despite Brexit) sanctions can go visa vi Russia if something big happens in a month or two…

Read the thread for yourself:

Not surprised by the story and it is causing havoc with many UK energy suppliers going bust.

Out of interest is this the same Andrew Neil that left GB news and has recently been moaning about not getting the Brexit he voted for? Worth noting that the person I have in mind is very much about me, myself and I, especially when it comes to his bank account. He finds the idea of funding the NHS abhorrent.

Hey and Merry Christmas. Yes, he is but he is reporting energy related news. I didnt find his Brexit history relevant to the story.

Actually, I’d say the fear of this scenario has been causing havoc in the UK energy market, preventing the ones that have failed from recapitalization earlier. Now we are going to see what actually happens.

2 Likes

Thanks and merry Christmas to you too.

Only thing is to be cautious about his reporting, as with anyone but in this instance he is known to have some clear biases. Most people do I just think it’s important to understand them when they are journalists in particular.

It is a technical report and the thread doesn’t really contain real opinions of note, or so I thought. If anything is inaccurate then please point to what is inaccurate.

Nothing as far as I know but I only scanned it.
Full scale Christmas Eve panic here.

1 Like

We have just finished Christmas dinner and in a break with silence and coffe, I am wasting time here for a few min while my aunt prepares desert :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just some last minute wrapping to do and maybe bake a few mince pies.

We did the French thing of opening presents on Christmas Eve this year. It’s the first time I’ve done this so it seems a bit peculiar. So we are all done until next year. Probably won’t do it again as my youngest will understand Christmas and Santa and such next year.

2 Likes

Just got our 7 year old settled… i think.
We’ve gone all the way this year with the Elf on the Shelf thing and all. It’s helped but man I feel so dishonest.

1 Like

Our six year old asked us The Question this year. We always said we’d tell the truth if asked directly, but couldn’t bring myself - not after all the shit kids have had to deal with through the pandemic. In the end I sort of fudged a half answer. He’s as real as you want to believe.

3 Likes

Same here. That question happened. Thankfully after taking him to a local grotto. He wasn’t fooled.

Similarly fudged.

1 Like

My 4 year old asked for an Elf as all her friends were talking about it. When it arrived she had a complete meltdown because it wasn’t real. She’s heard all the stories about what the Elves do at night and thought everyone had a real Elf. Can’t get her head around parents lying to their kids

2 Likes

Jnr has sufficient sense to know that as long as you believe, Father Christmas does the rounds. About to brave the garage, her uber scooter is currently buried at the back somewhere……

Neither can I.

3 Likes

How are you doing bud?

Sometimes the YT algorithm throws up an absolute beauty from way back in the past…please watch…it is very short and fucking hilarious…

Merry Christmas @Kopstar

3 Likes

I reckon she’d be able to do Monty Python you know.