UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Big switch granted :slight_smile:

1 Like

The enshrined in law test is a fairly poor one, too. We had a law here saying we would comply with our Kyoto treaty obligations (Spoiler - we didnā€™t). Canada is in fact as much a knuckle-dragging troglodyte as Australia, our performance is in fact worse that the US despite Trumpā€™s best efforts, but we talk a world-leading game.

Conversely, there are countries that donā€™t have net zero targets enshrined in law, may not even have net zero targets, but are actually reducing emissions faster.

2 Likes

Yes, I accept that. However in the absence of a ā€˜league tableā€™ of tangible action thatā€™s all that I was left with.

Obviously, Iā€™ll resist the temptation to say that not having such a resource to refer to equally undermines the claims made in opposition to my own.

Oh damn. I said it.

:wink:

Any thoughts on the UKā€™s Ā£37 billion for test and trace system that doesnā€™t work, compared Germany`s Ā£834 Million for one that works?

Not sure why youā€™re posting a link to Full Fact (with the exact same figures I mentioned) rather than answering?

1 Like

I donā€™t think Germany had a Dildo ā€¦ Sorry I meant Dido in charge.

1 Like

So you didnā€™t bother to read it then? :roll_eyes:

This another reason for Welsh independence. We can become a mini energy and water super power. Certainly an exporter of both, particularly on the renewable energy front.

The UK can set whatever target it wants. Itā€™s absolutely irrelevant if there is no credible thought going into how we will get there. 2050 is far enough in the future for this government (especially) not to give a shit whether we meet it or not.

And being hell bent on opening up new reserves of fossil fuels which will be contracted to supply coal, oil and gas well past the net zero target suggests they donā€™t, in fact, care about whether they meet that target or not.

In this context we need to talk about this Government and their tendency to pluck targets out of their arses and then fudge the numbers to make it work. Weā€™ve seen this before on Covid, like how they set ludicrously ambitious testing targets and then tried to make out theyā€™d met them by double counting tests and including tests that hadnā€™t even been sent out. Or saying theyā€™d build 30 new hospitals, before deciding no-one would notice if they included ones they were just giving a paint job.

Boris modus operandi is to make a grandiose announcement, soak up the plaudits and then do none of the work needed to see it through. Just make whatever bullshit promise you need to make to get through the day and donā€™t worry about tomorrow.

6 Likes

I know where I can find a league table of tangible action - it was the league table of credible promises that I think is an interesting question.

1 Like

Well, here is what we do know.

The UK government has set an ā€˜ambitiousā€™
net zero target while at the same time embarking on domestic and international projects that, if allowed to happen, will make it functionally impossible to meet those targets.

Ergo, the targets are bollocks and until the Government can demonstrate it is serious about meeting them, and not just pushing all the hard work into the future for another government to deal with, they deserve no credit.

Have you seen Donā€™t Look Up? This really is like setting an ambitious target to destroy that asteroid, and then doing nothing until itā€™s on the edge of our atmosphere.

Both would be useful. Do you have a link for the former?

On my list for this weekend after finishing Squid Game.

You certainly didnā€™t read either the initial post or what you posted. :rofl:

Yeah, I did. Fuck me. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Ahh! so you donā€™t understand them!

I like this one https://ccpi.org/

UK still rates well, atop the G20, but substantially based on the level of GHG emissions, which were falling quite dramatically from 2000-2015 but havenā€™t done much since. Slipping down the table again as well, but the authors do provide significant credit for the net zero policy (which, when I think about it, may possibly be fair as the best of a very poor lot in a world where the EU is trying to classify natural gas as ā€˜greenā€™) and they do score the target itself.

So UK good, Conservative government, rather less so. There is something of an analog there to covid performance, where the less the Government has had to with state functions the more effective they have been (i.e. world-class testing and gene typing).

2 Likes

ā€¢So, supports my initial claim?

ā€¢The development of the AZ vaccine, COVAX, vaccine procurement (vaccine taskforce)?

1 Like

Sheesh. So posting links that debunk the premise of the initial question is simply not enough anymore? I now have to explain what those links are saying?

Thatā€™s beyond what even my 5 year old needs.