UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Right…not like Ukraine haven’t called out countries who aren’t fronting up.

:man_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

It’s very evident that most people have no clue to what extent the UK government has supported Ukraine since 2014.

1 Like

“I’m not reading that load of shit”, said The Queen.

What?

I’m not making a slur about any disability. I’m saying that tweet doesn’t say what you think it says.

I was somewhat surprised by the extent to which Zelenskiy has praised Johnson, so aside from the (in my opinion) sluggishness the government was out of the blocks sanctioning Oligarchs, and the extent to which they’re balls deep in Russian money, the Government must have been doing something right on that score. I’ve no idea what, but as you say I don’t think Zelenskiy would have given Boris the props he has.

2 Likes

Operation Orbital.

1 Like

That’s been going on since 2014 though. Not quite a Johnson thing.

That’s why I said UK government. As for more recently you only have to see how the UK led the global response in warning of Russia’s intentions and then in aiding Ukraine and sanctioning Russian state apparatus.

1 Like

The difference is context.

At the time we had weeks of Tories stating we need to wait for the Sue Grey report.

When the report could not be released because it was so damning and was handed over to police. A failure by the PM was established.

We knew there were multiple events, numerous photos all at the PMs premises. We even knew date included day before queen attended funeral alone.

Even if Johnson was not fined personally for the events he was responsible for what was occurring on his premises and bu his staff.

1 Like

That wasn’t the reason though was it? It hasn’t been released in full yet because the police investigation is ongoing.

Do people actually realise what specific event Johnson was fined for?

His birthday party wasn’t it? Carrie was also fined.

The interim report highlight serious failures of leadership at number 10. That were difficult to justify.

It seemingly because active investigation when it proved useful for the government. There was little reason a factual report could not be published when the extent of the police investigation seemed to be a questionnaire and a fine.

It was kicking the can down the road, and it raised real questions about the ethics of cassandra dick

2 Likes

Yep. So he was fined for being at a surprise gathering for his birthday.

Notably not fined for that time he was photographed drinking wine outside in the garden with Carrie.

Not fined for this one.

I’ve lost touch a little on where the investigation is to be honest. Which parties have been investigated and people fined and those that are still open.

That was the aim. Obfuscation.

No. And I always thought that one was nothing. No problem opening a bottle of wine in the garden while discussing work.

My question is what the fuck is Lady Macbeth doing there. If it’s a work meeting, as per Boris’ defence, then she should be nowhere near it.

The one we’re waiting for is the suitcase of booze party. That’s the big one.

My recollection is that during the course of her investigation, Sue Gray decide she had to refer her findings to the police, which then triggered the met inquiry.

But then, there is so much scandal these days it’s hard to keep up - which I suspect is Conservative policy in 2022.

5 Likes

She lives there? It’s effectively her garden? I might be wrong.

1 Like