UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Dispose of the spare?

Are you 100% sure on this in the UK? I’m not, happy to say not my area of expertise.

Dictionary. com

unlawful sexual intercourse or any other sexual penetration of the vagina, anus, or mouth of another person, with or without force, by a sex organ, other body part, or foreign object, without the consent of the person subjected to such penetration.

It’s not something I particularly have the time or the energy for, but I totally support those that do.

Thinking about this earlier, I’d respect the funeral. Let the woman be buried in peace.

But what is happening right now isn’t a funeral. That isn’t until Monday.

2 Likes

I think today’s events are for people from far and wide who won’t be able, cant attend the funeral on Monday…

It was never going to be just a funeral, it was going to be days of media and papers and TV falling over themselves to plaster every comment from every person who’s had even the tiniest fame all over their exposure. I do wonder if Boris dies, will he continue lying in state?

1 Like

So even by that definition, any sexual act involving someone below the age of consent is covered.

No longer really a spare, just a liability now.

Charles apparently thinks the royal household needs to be reduced, and he is probably correct as a matter of survival of the institution. His brothers are as redundant now as his residence staff.

2 Likes

A comment on tv just now…we have had a new prime minister and a new head of state in a week and not a shot fired or a single death because of those changes. Also no-one can deny that the pageantry is truly stunning. You can’t fail but be impressed by that…

4 Likes

Have I got some bad news for you…

1 Like

Andrew got hit by cannon fire ?

1 Like

This could still happen

So you change the law. I didn’t say the law was perfect and in this instance, we just need to define the concept of rape. It’s obviously not a 16 YO and a 15YO who’ve been a thing for a while.

Cue absolutism discussion.

Cue absolutism discussion

There should not be a discussion on this absolutely.

2 Likes

Statutory rape. There’s also a further distinction as between sex with someone aged 16+ and someone 18+, depending on the age of the other party.

1 Like

wow, this conversation got sidetracked…

Kenan Thompson Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

I am not a royalist in any way. But can understand why he was arrested.

It’s like going to old Trafford, sitting with the home fans with your Liverpool shirt on and shouting that Ronaldo is a rapist or making Munich chants. There is no way that this will it will end well.

He knew that his actions would incite people that came there to mourn and show respect. It’s not so much about the royal family but being respectful to other members of the public.

I would not call it a protest, more someone being a dick.

6 Likes

It was not just him though …
A number of people have been arrested or moved away from these mourning events - including a barrister with a blank piece of paper.

1 Like

Not sure whether this question has ever been asked here but what has to happen before the Monarchy is done away with? Does it first have to happen with the Monarchy saying “hey we think we no longer need to be around, so can the government do something like a referendum to get the people’s agreement on what should happen?” or can the Monarchy just say “Ah we will just step down unilaterally and not caring whoever else wanted and the government should just work together on the timeline and terms of demolition of monarchy.” or can the government heck care what the monarchy thinks and just give a referendum to the people and if the people says yes demolish the monarchy, there is absolutely nothing the monarchy can do?

It is really interesting to observe the range of topics discussed in this thread over the past few days.
Power, censorship, loyalty, patriotism, sexual assault, deference, hereditary, racism, equality, and freedom of speech are all subjects on this thread neatly woven around the death of an old woman in Scotland. That is a good thing.

It is a fine illustration of how deeply embedded the crown is as a symbol, a myth, a reality, and a force in British life.

The next few weeks and months are the perfect moment to examine the country’s relationship with the crown and what it really means to be British. Something that is long overdue.

It does not have to be a negative process or a way to apportion blame. It could if handled sensitively, be a new beginning either with or without the crown as the central force in British life.

6 Likes