UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

That’s a new one to me. I always thought it was due to incest.

This is how Kings are selected

The ridiculousness of the endless performative mourning for QEII is starting to provoke more dissent:

1 Like

Interesting that all the “negative” stories aimed at the royals, their supporters and events this week are from the same paper. All opinion pieces too.

1 Like

Good article on the police and protesting:

Isn’t the Guardian obsequious enough for you? And of course they are ‘opinion’.

So no more relevant than anything posted here.

Could start by looking at what it’s meant for other countries

https://twitter.com/doubledownnews/status/1569999499065450501?s=21&t=mY1A7uLez3vuPEEUO8SSSg

3 Likes

So there’s only one place for dissent in the UK press? I can see why you’re concerned.

3 Likes

Not sure about dissent but there seems to be only one paper that’s against the vast majority of the UK’s population’s opinions.

Very well put. I think it actually comes under “Breach of the peace” as opposed to simply protesting. In Scotland this can be defined as follows:

Breach of the peace can include, but is not limited to, any riotous behaviours (which includes “rowdiness” or “brawling”) and any disorderly behaviour. This behaviour need not be noisy but still of a nature that would cause concern to other people

What they are actually protesting about isn’t a problem but its the fact that they may be causing distress to innocent members of the public.

Having said that, holding a blank piece of paper up is pretty minor. What I would regard as seriously poor behaviour is the number of media figures that are choosing to use a period of mourning and a state funeral to continue their vendetta against the Queen’s grandson.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for the inevitable, “If you don’t like it then leave!” comment to be spouted, because that is the go to phrase against those that protest against decisions or processes or indeed this opulent wallowing…

Ultimately having an unelected official that can hold sway over my life is not something I can support. I was asked upthread, “sway in what way?”, to which I gave no answer - because if you have to ask then there will be no satisfactory answer that I can give.

3 Likes

So Charles won’t pay inheritance tax? The Queen is dead, time for the monarchy to be done with, when we are getting screwed over and they still live away from the real struggles their “subjects” face daily.

People need to start facing these struggles in the same way that her princess of Wales has been doing over the years by being thrifty wearing stuff like £15k dresses twice sometimes three times in ten years …whilst we as a general public are wasteful .

Time for the fawning to stop come Monday and address the fact that parasites work both ways, some view some people with no interest in working and claiming benefits as parasites , some could counter that an institution where they don’t do anything in regards to what we deem as proper work and yet are worth millions, get everything paid for and then have an exemption from paying inheritance tax that we all have to pay if the amount is over a certain threshold…but not Charlie boy.

Make Kenny king

That is the definition of dissent.

As you mentioned, the articles are opinion pieces, not editorials, therefore not the official opinion of the paper.

But think of the tourism we would lose…

Lets put that argument to bed.

Top 8 tourist attractions in Europe

1. Eiffel Tower, France. The Eiffel Tower. …
  2. Colosseum, Italy. The Colosseum. …
  3. Acropolis of Athens, Greece. …
  4. Stonehenge, England. …
  5. Louvre Museum, France. …
  6. Prague Castle, Czech Republic. …
  7. Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate, Germany. …
  8. Venice Canals, Italy.

The only country apart from UK that has a Monarch on that list is Greece and he no longer rules - Royal by name only pretty much.

There may be a Druid claiming dominion over Stonehenge?

3 Likes

There is this strange idea that once the monarchy is gone, we tear down all the history as well. Like the second the King is removed, we’ll bulldoze Windsor Castle.

5 Likes

You gave no answer because you have none. Once again you say that the monarch (an unelected official) can hold sway over your life. In what tangible way can they do so? Just give me one example.

2 Likes

Huh?

2 Likes

On the list

2 Likes

In what way does the UK monarch actually rule? Just out of interest.

1 Like