UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

For the first time in my life, Iā€™m lost for words. Except these.

Not much of a Jonathan Swift fan, I suppose?

1 Like

Prefer slower authors.

Iā€™ll take that as a win, and also a memory of getting laughed for not seeing through one of your jokes. Something about patio heaters?

1 Like

Death and State Funeral of Sir Winston Churchill
Some on here might remember this dayā€¦

Is it over yet?

Season 6 Nbc GIF by The Office

1 Like

Do you want to see coverage of the funeral/succession with commentary from BBC coverage of North Korea overlaid? Of course you do.

2 Likes

We do. In Norwegian schools they teach about the Norwegianfication Process that the state employed towards the Sami people to destroy their culture and assimilate them completely with the majority. We also teach about the attempts to destroy Kven-culture (Kven people - Wikipedia) and traveling people who resided within Norwayā€™s borders. There was a state sanctioned attempt to annihilate these cultures, and some Tater women were sterilised.

Also, in 1988, Norway changed itā€™s constituation to include this: Ā«The authorities of the state shall create conditions enabling the Sami people to preserve and develop its language, culture and way of lifeĀ», after which King Olav V opened the then new Norwegian Sami Assembly, which is a Sami parliament with some powers.

Also, unlike the British royals, ours have apologiced and Harald V in have done so in public 1997 to the Sami people and it was King Olav that opened the Sami Assembly in 1989.

4 Likes

I think most countries will have had atrocities of 1 form or another committed to it or by it.imo this history needs to be intensely studied from an early(ish) age in order to try and prevent it from happening again

2 Likes

You, you voted for him! :grinning:

?
By replacing him with someone who hasnā€™t a mind like in the UK? :rofl:

Unfortunately voted on by 150,000 of the least intelligent people in the country.

You can lead a horse to waterā€¦

Iā€™ve been reading a few on line Telegraph articles of late. 2 things jump out at me.

1. Its apparently not a right wing paper (according to the readership) despite sensationalist headlines like ā€œEvidence points to Covid starting in US labā€ or something like that.

2. All its readers, or should I say those that actually go on the comments sections seem to be extraordinarily angry about anything and everything. Itā€™s nuts.
    ā€œClimate change is a scam, Fracking is fine, we truthists know the reality, youā€™re all puppets, Cyclists need number plates so they can be fined, It smells too woke in hereā€, blah blah blah.

2 Likes

They are all exactly like my Dad.
He raves at me about things like UK drivers speeding in France and getting on the spot fines for speeding. I calmly explain to him that I find it outrageius that ā€˜foreignersā€™ go to other countries to break the law and not expect at to face the panalty and in anycase itā€™s even worst for French that get caught speeding, they have to walk home. :rofl:

2 Likes

Can I be first to piss on him?

1 Like

You can ignore all comments. Proven theyā€™re statistically 97.3% idiots and that figure is from Groucho Marx so it must be true.

Ever left a restaurant review for a good meal?

Tbf, people who comment from among any readership are nearly always motivated to do so because theyā€™re fucking fuming about whatever the particular trigger is.

2 Likes

So what Im hearing is the best way to get me to stop posting so much is if you all upped your own game and gave me less to bitch and moan about.

Ok, itā€™s in your own hands, people.

1 Like

One of the big hurdles to overcome in seeking a Republic is with what do you replace the monarchy?

The public appetite for even more politicians would at present be very limited.

Australia in 1999 voted against becoming a republic due to not having a popularly agreed alternative structure to the monarchy.

So what do you replace them with?

1 Like