UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Tv Land What GIF by YoungerTV

Andrew? ummā€¦ howā€™s it going?

Awkward The Office GIF

1 Like

Nice question. An idealistic objection for me. Although that doesnā€™t mean a compromise, such as a further reduced monarchy wouldnā€™t be appealing.

The amount of ethnic diversity of those queueing to nod at a box isnā€™t representative of the ethnic diversity of London or the country as a whole.
Not sure what that tells us but itā€™s pretty noticeable.

1 Like

Two IEDs were found on the railway by Newton-Le-Willows yesterday.

Fortunately, the tories havenā€™t managed to cut Network Rail staff as much as theyā€™d like yet so they were able to spot them on a routine inspection.

This might be worth bearing in mind when these very same workers go on strike again soon.

4 Likes

Who would have been likely to have placed those?

1 Like

@Klopptimist lives fairly close and has experience with explosives.

From memory of the discussions back on TIA about the referendums I think they can be legally binding if they set a particularly high threshold (65 or 75%?). No threshold was set for this one but Parliament made a commitment to honour the decision. This then became a manifesto commitment by Labour and the Conservatives once Cameron stepped down (I canā€™t remember what the Lib Dems had in their manifesto at the time but they were largely ignored anyway for backtracking on their commitments once they had formed the co-alition goverment in 2010.

1 Like
5 Likes
4 Likes

Nothing is free! Everything has a price.

You donā€™t???

1 Like

The actual mode/type of leaving the EU could/should have been vastly superior but ultimately what will shape its success (or not) will be more significantly influenced by the governments to come.

1 Like

This referendum was non-binding legally but the government had committed to implementing the result. This was then ratified by Parliament when it authorised May to trigger Article 50.

Ultimately Parliament, as supreme legislator, can choose to do whatever it wants.

1 Like

They should fundamentally be pushing back against the idea that banker bonuses are in any way linked to generating growth for the economy at large (versus just the bankers themselves).

2 Likes

Maintaining London as the dominant global financial centre will continue to bring in huge revenues for the UK economy. Ensuring that top talent arenā€™t dissuaded from being here is a big part of that.

1 Like

Has it dissuaded any top talent from coming here though?

2 Likes

Some are some arenā€™t. I donā€™t know about free, but I remember one day when every ticket for every film was Ā£1

Empirically, the constitutional monarchy form of democracy has at least as good a track record as republican democracy.

2 Likes