UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

On the plus side, all these people lining up to see a coffin means that other places that are normally packed should be empty. Get yourselves to Thorpe Park this weekend!

Roller Coaster Love GIF by Fleischer Studios

2 Likes

Democracy = rule by the people. The principle of one person, one vote runs completely counter to notions of hereditary power.

Worse is that the monarch doesnā€™t get a vote. Thatā€™s suffrage! :wink:

1 Like

Have you checked itā€™s open?!

1 Like

Yet democracies operating from the foundation of constitutional monarchy have at least as good a track record of actually allowing nominal rule by the people as republics do. In any case, Kenneth Arrow long ago established that in any voting system, not everyoneā€™s vote is going to be equal anyway, rule by the people is something of a fiction. So it comes down to choosing the particular fiction that violates the fewest number of the principles we think a system should embody - there is no such thing as a system that violates none.

2 Likes

I actually didnā€™t and then saw this message as soon as I opened their website, was sure it was going to say it was closed all weekend

1 Like

Democracy being the least worst way of doing things?

No, only genuinely brilliant ones. If the chef canā€™t cook better than me then whatā€™s the point?

Nothing to do with me (obviously), will hunt down some more info. Newton LW is my local stationā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

Nobody in the history of the world has tried to marry into power.

Said not one single person, ever.

I donā€™t buy into the born ā€œbetterā€ argument.

They are no better than anyone else, and as weā€™ve seen for years now, the Royal Family has its issues and ups and downs like any family.

Born into a position is the issue. Not elected, but automatically head of state by virtue of birth.

For me, Iā€™d like to hear the alternate proposal for head of State. Trust in politicians is at an all time low. I donā€™t see any of them with any particular gravitas, or anything much about them that is worthy of my respect.

Iā€™d be open to considering an alternate proposal, as Iā€™m not a particularly strong Royalist, but if the alternate is another shitty politician with their nose in the trough, thatā€™s a big swerve for me.

At that point, Iā€™d keep the Royal Family, albeit slimmed down, and with greater scrutiny and accountability on finances. Even then, on finances, weā€™d have to be careful to separate what is theirs and what belongs to the country, and the vast majority of it is the latter. Still, on their own assets they should pay taxes and so on.

1 Like

What if the succession was determined not by a defined lineage, but by a play off? We take the top 4 and turn the Royal Variety into a Simon Cowell style audition for the crown voted on by the public via SMS vote.

2 Likes

Or we could have some sort of Hunger Games scenario to find the worthy winner?

1 Like

I wasnā€™t sure if you were being serious. Still not sure.

Anyway, I donā€™t think itā€™s really viable to try and marry into the royal family. The tend to mix inā€¦how shall we put thisā€¦exclusive circles.

Rebecca Wisocky Comedy GIF by CBS

My point was in response to the statement that weā€™re not born into the royal family. No, but if you were sufficiently motivated, your kids could be.

Thatā€™s round 2. Round 1, Harry wins with a touching duet of Endless Love with megan, and then beats George in hand to hand combat (Harry qualifies in top 4 because Louis is too young).

2 Likes

Ok Ok Iā€™ll concede that putting Gareth Edwards in to replace royalty is not sustainable, given that heā€™s getting on a bit. So my only choice is to reinstate Godā€¦

Barry John

Unfortunately, a degenerate alcoholic.

Cynicism with politicians is understandable, but Germany has had some very good heads of state in the time Iā€™ve been here. The alternative to Charles is not necessarily Trump.

2 Likes

Iā€™m definitely up for having a game show decide who the next King/Queen should be

1 Like