UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Um sure :roll_eyes: I shouldnā€™t rise to it but Iā€™m all for a bit of education for anyone willing to read this.

What about the UKā€™s history in India, Africa, America etc?

Perhaps you had better google this while youā€™re at it. Itā€™s not something Iā€™d be proud of. And dont say itā€™s not relevant anymore because recent history at Tryweryn clearly illustrates otherwise.

For those feeling a bit lazy I can give some details.

Oh we were bastards in the day, but QE2 wasnā€™t. Are you guilty for your fatherā€™s crimes?

ā€œWe will not blame him for the crimes of his ancestors if he relinquishes the royal rights of his ancestors; but as long as he claims their rights, by virtue of descent, then, by virtue of descent, he must shoulder the responsibility for their crimes.ā€ ā€”James Connolly on George V

5 Likes

Again, Mau Mau uprising in Kenya. Thatā€™s her watch. She did nothing as the British Army she was the head of raped, tortured and murdered thousands of Kenyans.

2 Likes

My father hasnā€™t been responsible for the death of millions, robbed a whole nation bare or done its upmost to destroy an entire culture. He also hasnā€™t drowned any English villages by ignoring local MPā€™s and then over ruling them. Tryweryn was in the 1970ā€™s.

So while they may not be directly responsible for many of those things, they are the very symbol of it all. The way they act, portray themselves and the whole pageantry of UK royal and parliamentary procedure is full on colonial symbolism.

2 Likes

To the google mobileā€¦

Another question for you @Klopptimist. The title of Prince of Wales is a bit of a hot potato historically. A history that the queen and new king should be well aware of and yet they both continue to issue the title. Is that a sign of a modern and sympathetic ā€œrulerā€ that is trying to make good the crimes of their forefathers or one that is keen to maintain the status quo of the image of an all conquering nation?

2 Likes

My mumā€™s idea is that she is fine with because Charlesā€™ commitment to honouring the title has turned him in a legitimate advocate for Wales. But why does Wales need an advocate? Isnt that acknowledging our second class status within the Union that weā€™re not de facto considered worthy of attention?

I think it does serve as a ā€œreminderā€ of our ā€œplaceā€ within the Union. Itā€™s not a place I want to be.

Secondly, I could be wrong but I dont remember Charles doing much for Wales from his position of influence.

Sadly your Mother is not alone in that way of thinking, hence my comment on the UK needing a bit of a reality check and a proper understanding of its past.

1 Like

I assume that youā€™re indicating ā€˜electedā€™ leaders? The royals were born into it. Yes, once they became mature enough they could have said ā€œfeck this for a shower of 5h1t, Iā€™m off to ā€˜EARNā€™ a livingā€.
Nobody from the royals ever has. I wonder why?
Iā€™m not including Harry as heā€™s earningā€™ just by being him basically. If he wasnā€™t royalty would folk give him attention? Again Iā€™m not including the Invictus Games as without his royal title could he have got it off the ground?
Politicians on the other hand (at the upper levels) are (in my opinion) just in it for themselves. I donā€™t think that they start off that way. Itā€™s just that they become embroiled in the politics machine.
Others like Johnson, Reece Mogg, Truss et Al know exactly what theyā€™re after. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yes, politicians. I appreciate that depending on where you are, that royalty may or may not be involved in running their respective countries.

One thing common to all though, is that very few of them are letting go of that position unless theyā€™re in a functioning democracy. You get the likes of Trump and Johnson hanging on for dear life, Putin literally killing off any opposition, and so on. All of them have their support too.

2 Likes

Here we go again

I honestly despair that this idiot gets more than his 15 minutes.

3 Likes

Bring back pounds, shillings, pence and farthings!!!

1 Like

And Penny Farthings for Rees-Mogg.

I could imagine him riding one, in top hat and tail, naturally.

Just before he goes out into Whitechapel to ā€˜clean the streetsā€™.

1 Like

Tired Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

Donā€™t forget Groats. :+1:

Useless fact I discovered the other day: an Acre is defined as a Furlong multiplied by a Chain. I always knew that it was bizarrely defined as a not-square measure of area but I never knew why.

This is not to be confused with the Customary acre, Builderā€™s acre, Scottish acre, Irish acre, Cheshire acre, Greek acre, Turkish acre, Roman acre, Long acre, Godā€™s Acre, or the Hundred Acre Wood.

1 Like