UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Related tweet:

1 Like

Bloody hell not before time, what a useless country!

The police obviously have nothing better to do!

Heā€™s definitely not a nice man.

Anyone built a tree house?

That problem with house price increases is itā€™s not productive wealth to the economy. I read an interesting article about the generational divide and democracy.

It described how typically it was considered being part of small cohort was a good thing. Less competition leading to greater opportunities. This theory has been turned on itā€™s head by the baby boomer generation. What occurred because they are a larger cohort they had greater influence upon democracy and the economy. On the whole everyone tends to vote in their best interests the baby boomer generation influenced thing in a progressive manner when younger, and naturally became more conservative as they aged. They were able to exploit the artificial prices with houses by leveraging this for second homes, cars etc. when they were toddlers (1950s) the best performing stock of the decade was baby milk and infant food. As they became teenagers the best performing stock was jeans (Leviā€™s) by 70s housing became the most productive asset.

Now typically one would think that this would think as baby boomers retired there would be lots of opportunities for those younger. This has not occurred as people are working till their older and today both sexes tend to be competing for the same jobs (so there is actually more competition). Social equality has driven an increasing generational divide.

Interestingly for China many of that era belong to their lost generation. The cultural revolution effectively limiting education and opportunities. However the current 30year olds will become their equivalent to the wests baby boomers. The benifits of economic growth, coupled with being part of a larger cohort.

2 Likes

Yes they are, they are all theiving lieing bastards.

They may not start out as such, but left long enough they all end up sticking their grubbing snouts in the trough.

Christ, I hope not. The baby boomers have been an absolute car crash of a generation.

2 Likes

They did alright with their Ā£30k houses and gold-plated pensions. They just left dodgy cars for the next generation to crash

Anyone familiar with the research this article refers to?

1 Like

China itself is a complete car crash

Nope but a fascinating topic none the less. Iā€™d like to see more if you find anything. Iā€™ve always been wary of outsourcing certain things. I donā€™t think it offers best value.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Full report in the Lancet, if you are interested:
https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanpub/PIIS2468-2667(22)00133-5.pdf

2 Likes

Here is Nadine Dorries addressing an audience of Rugby League players pundits and officials about the Rugby League World Cup, and winning their approval by telling them her abiding memories of the sport are the 2003 World Cup and Johnny Wilkinsonā€™s drop goal.

It would be embarrassing if she gave a fuck.

https://youtu.be/Js85b0JDQrs

1 Like

Well thatā€™s not a dyslexic thing. Thatā€™s just knowing f all and / or being advised poorly.

1 Like
1 Like

Evening all,
It is Interesting reading through this thread and hearing peoples thoughts, especially when the demographic is varied.
I will be honest, in that recently (the last year or so) I have decided (maybe selfishly) to not really focus on Politics and/or the people who run the country. Instead I have focused on the interests of people close to me and indeed my own situation.
My reasoning, is that the whole world is in a quagmire. It doesnā€™t take an economist/rocket scientist to understand the Uk/World is in a very difficult place right now and that the pandemic/war/other has resulted with governments over borrowing to keep their economies and industries propped up. In my opinion I donā€™t feel any government would be considered a success at this point of time.
However, I (and without speaking for them) and the majority of the UK demand at the minimum a government with a leader, who can inspire the Nation and relate to the public.
I am now 40 years old, and honestly, I can not name one prime minister who I have trusted or believed in. Has there been?
So, without being disrespectful to anyone (as I am the first to moan) I am surprised that anyone expected anything different to feeling let down.

Out of interest, what do people feel should happen?
If Boris is removed by the conservative party who replaces him?
If Labour were to govern the country is Starmer someone you could place your trust in? Do Labour have a mandate and if so does that relate to you?
Do Lib Dem have anything about them?

To be honest l am not optimistic with any of the parties out there. If there was a election right now I would probably wouldnā€™t vote.

1 Like

The world is in a mess right now and the UK is in a worse state than many. We have a clueless government driven by self preservation rather than delivery. The delivery side, they have no clue.

I think itā€™s easy not to engage in politics, I ignored it for years but I see my boys school being financially squeezed out of existence, I have some health issues that are likely to need serious treatment one day, my partner has started a new business, our food bill has gone through the roof, my energy bills have gone nuts, it cost me Ā£90 to put fuel in my car the other day, I very little disposable income now and the planet is on fire. Thatā€™s just me and Iā€™m in a good place. Many arenā€™t.

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s possible to ignore it in reality. But where do we go from here is anyoneā€™s question. The system is broken and we have a population where the extremes have become the norm.

4 Likes