UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

1 Like
1 Like

Oh, the irony. Truss’s one good idea (so far), blocked by two people whose parents were themselves immigrants.

2 Likes

I love these think tanks that in another reality would do very well I’m sure. However they seem to believe the world is structured how they wish it to be where the thinking would work. I’m calling it the flat earth syndrome, commonly also known as fuckwits!

2 Likes

My feeling with Sunak and Patel (and now these two) is that they want to fit into an establishment that will ultimately reject them at the slightest hint of turbulence. One way to fit in is to be more establishment than the establishment, i.e. to espouse views that are extreme - views that more easily accepted colleagues would be cautious in voicing. I think they see it as, well what’s there to lose?

1 Like

Although portrayed as sich the IEA and others like tax payers Alliance are not really think tanks…they are lobby groups there to provide the image of analytical respectability.

6 Likes

The whole thing and lot are a farce, it’s a voice box for opinionated fuckwits.
They probably think more about what to call them selves to have an official sounding intelligent series of letters like IEA (Intentionally Empty Arseholes) than what they have managed to fathom out about how the world works. But they do get their names thrown around. Fucking dangerous when you have such a gullible and stupid population!
Why do the media give them the time of the day often portraying them as experts when they know less that me which is next to fuck all.

1 Like

Cheers
But the question is directed at the original post in the Queen Elizabeth thread.
The original author @Limiescouse will not answer the question despite three attempts by me to get a response.
He may have me ignored, he may not be able to answer? I really don’t know.

There aren’t any.

3 Likes

Interesting timing of this article in the BBC:

Snippets one may find in said article include a claim that social health insurance models tend to fare better than the NHS model, but the only support from that comes from an ostensible expert from a very authoritative-sounding source: the Institute of Economic Affairs. They also quote figures from the Nuffield Trust comparing the state of the British hospital system versus the German health system as support, despite the Nuffield Trust chief executive quite clearly stating that moving to a social health insurance model would require even more costs.

This comes two days after a hagiography of Kwarteng, talking up how he is “challenging established thinking”: Kwasi Kwarteng: A politician who challenges established thinking - BBC News

Without mentioning that there is virtually no academic support for any of his policies.

Can’t help but feel that there’s been a political capture of the BBC.

4 Likes

Yep. It’s pretty much “suck up to us, or we’ll axe your funding”.

1 Like

They should try doing the same analysis with the French system. I bet they wouldn’t understand any of it but come to some rediculous conclusion.
These fuckwits should stop thinking they know how to compare extremely different systems.
The UK system was fine until some fuckwits decided that not funding it would be a laugh!

3 Likes

Having lived in both countries and had extensive experience of both systems, I’d say that there are good and bad points on both sides. Germans eat healthier and the relatively lower rate of inequality probably plays a role too.
I’m hearing real horror stories from my family in the UK about waiting times and ambulance delays currently, which are very concerning, but as a freelancer I am forced to have private health insurance in Germany which costs 500€ every month.
Swings and roundabouts.

3 Likes

€500 a month? Wow….

Some years ago. Maybe 10? I was on the Great Orme railway in North Wales and it was crowded so I took one of the few seats available next to an older guy. He started to rant at me about the country, the government, the Royal family and the “establishment”. I put up with it for a while and then asked if it was such a terrible country, why didn’t he leave. He said he had visited a much better country several times and he loved it and said he was trying to get permission to move there permanently. They looked after their citizens from cradle to grave and they weren’t exploited by rich capitalists.

The country that he so badly wanted to become a citizen of? It was Russia. I do so hope he made it.

3 Likes

My point was more that it’s quite hard to compare those systems to begin with, and the article reads more like an opinion piece one would find in the Telegraph, not masquerading as an information piece in the BBC.

2 Likes

His name wasn’t Jeremy Corbyn by any chance was it?

As a contractor rather than an employee he has to pay the full amount of health insurance.

I am a permanent employee so my employer pays half (a bit like NI in the UK). My share of it is €385. There are also state pension and old age care payments on top of that.

The German system is one of the world’s oldest - it goes back to the Bismarck government of the 1880s. It does have some strange inefficiencies built into it which the NHS doesn’t. The healthcare is, generally, very good once you access it but with that level of funding it should be. If the NHS was funded to that level it would be peerless.

3 Likes

Do you also pay a national insurance equivalent?