UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Then you have! :joy:

We seem to have found the last person in the UK who believes in trickle down economics, and made them Prime Minister.

Iā€™m still sticking to my theory that this Conservative Party know they are losing the next election, donā€™t particularly want to win it, and are a) making everything as shit for Labour as they can so they can pin the blame on them in six years time, and b) suck as much money out of the economy as they can for themselves and their mates.

They always do that anyway.

2 Likes

:scream::joy::joy:

:laughing:

And thereā€™s the insider dealing for you:

Well known mate of the Chancellor.

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering about something: is the word ā€œConservativeā€ still appropriate for this party? It seems to me that theyā€™ve used more and more textbook neocon economics. This has nothing to do anymore with traditional conservative principles.

I think that the word doesnā€™t match reality at all, these people are in fact revolutionaries. Their aim is to take away general wealth in order to funnel it towards the most prosperous part of society. ā€œUltra-right Partyā€ or ā€œNeoconservative Partyā€ would be more telling, and in time, if systemically applied by the opposition, would maybe also lead to people reassessing the way of how they vote.

5 Likes

I asked @Limiescouse a question in the Queen Elizabeth thread concerning a comment he made on Celtic supporters disrespecting the commemorative pieces for the Queen during matches.

He refers to Celtic supporters cultural links to Ireland and the Irish, and states that the dusrespect goes beyond the more straightforward Scottish issue.

I asked him to elaborate on this twice without reply, and maybe this is a more suitable place?
To be honest the comment has puzzled me, and there is a rational for making it?

I dont know if I am on ignore as we had the odd disagreement, but if not I am still asking, as I feel there is more to the comment?

Over to you @Limiescouse ā€¦

This only sounds overly cynical if you start with the premise that their vision for government is doing what is in the greatest good for the country by doing the greatest good for the greatest number of people. If you drop that pretense and replace it with a vision of using power to consolidate power and resources among the elite, their mates, then fucking over the country on their way out of the door as a strategy to stay in opposition for as short a time as possible is actually the sensible tactic.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what the context of the original comment was but the Celtic-Rangers dynamic has a strong sectarian element to it and this is far stronger than anything related to Scottish nationalism (other than the UK was created for reasons of religious discrimination).

Typically Celticā€™s support was from the Catholic community and Rangers was almost exclusively Protestant.

1 Like

I understand the sectarian or pseudo sectarian element.
I am just unsure why the comment was made, particularly regarding the ā€œmore straightforward Scottish issueā€
More straightforward than what?

Oh, I see. Iā€™m not entirely sure of the original conversation.

1 Like

Not even traditional neocon. Reaganā€™s tax cuts were driven by the Laffer curve thinking, trickle-down, etc., but were tightly connected to strong monetary policy (in particular, the rational expectations school reacting to the 1970ā€™s failure of Keynesian policy). I noted that Truss appears to be the first right wing adherent to Modern Monetary Policy, which is a very different underpinning for the trickle-down tax cuts.

3 Likes

I doubt Truss really believes this will be good for the country as a whole. I see it similar to Mascot. Scorched earth policy. Ruin it for the people who will come in next time, and in the meantime, make as much, for you and yours, while you can.

If Truss actually is a true believer, and she is doing this for the good of the country, itā€™s even more concerning, as sheā€™s stupid.

Having your nose in the trough, while bad, is actually something easier to understand.

2 Likes

Never ascribe to malice that which is more likely to be stupidity? Should be a name for thatā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

Than the dividing line between those Scots who support independence and those who donā€™t perhaps ? i.e. minus the religious baggage

1 Like
1 Like
4 Likes