UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Agree with what? The literal words of a character? Never hung somebody twice is really quite simplistic.

If you read the statement from the prison service they seem to be saying that they assess risk on a case-by-case basis.The FM was reporting based on what the prison service had told her.

I expect these cases come up every so often whereby the prison service isn’t really set up to deal with a particular case. I seem to remember that the Lockerbie bomber had to be kept in special facilities for obviously different reasons.

2 Likes

Please elaborate.
Over a pint preferably

That seems to be the message in the BBC article on it along with the fact that they would not be incarcerated in Corton Vale.

Each is risk assessed which makes sense to me.

1 Like

Back to the biannual debate about who should be shot :partying_face:

2 Likes

Back to the rotten bunch of crooks that are responsible to governing the UK.

At best Zahawi was considered careless by HMRC. Righto

2 Likes

This makes sense to me.

What doesn’t make sense to me is again the blanket statement that no rapists are held in women’s prisons, nor the treatment of Bryson’s case if they were already being held in Cornton Vale.

The blanket statement does not square with the “case-by-case basis”, nor the holding of rapists in mens’ prisons.

If a gay man rapes men, should he be sent to a male of female prison?

Should be shot.
Next, we’ve got a whole tribunal to get through, it’s a long list.

Think there’s one thing everyone will agree on, the criminal justice system in the UK is far too lenient.

Not necessarily. They get assessed and sent to the most appropriate place.

Nadhim Zahawi did not make ‘innocent error’ with his tax, HMRC chief suggests - live updates (telegraph.co.uk)
Nadhim Zahawi did not make ‘innocent error’ with his tax, HMRC chief suggests

Does it make me a Mao loving Marxist?

WTF on the same page - government is paying ÂŁ222k in legal fees for Boris Johnson partygate defense.

Piss well and truly boiled…

What do you expect Boris to do?

Borrow the money and pay for it himself…

I disagree that it’s too lenient. I do think however that it doesn’t have very good rehabilitation outcomes, the last I checked.

The question is, what is the goal of your criminal justice system?

Fuck all.

As usual.

1 Like

You missed my punchline :wink:

‘Lenient’ is a funny word in this context.

I certainly believe that we send too many people to prison and for too less a crime. I would reserve prison exclusively for those who are assessed to be a serious danger to the public. For everyone else community based rehabilitation and public service. I’d take a chunk of the millions that would be saved every year and invest it back into crime prevention projects and poverty alleviation.

Some would say that’s too lenient. I’d say let’s stop throwing our money and peoples lives away on something that doesn’t work. Let’s try something that does.

2 Likes

Nope, that’s the beauty of fiction.

Wondered what would finally get my finger out and write a book……