UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Your methods have been tried since dawn of civilisation and have not worked.
They are the norm in the most despotic and corrupt countries on earth today.
The answer is not more violence.

6 Likes

I donā€™t think Terry, who is now sadly too deceased to clarify his opinion on matter, means what you think he means in regard to that particular passage.

1 Like

That depends what we mean by ā€˜workedā€™.

We would believe that criminal justice should ultimately be about reducing the amount of crime, keeping the public safe and rehabilitating offenders.

@Klopptimist believes that criminal justice should be the stateā€™s agent of vengeance and itā€™s primary aim should be to deliver retribution and fury on those that transgress, regardless of the collateral damage.

By his perspective those methods work fine. Ok you get more crime, and people having committed petty offences get put on a pathway to serious ones, and innocent people end up dead, but thatā€™s just collateral.

Someone rapes their wife, and then while awaiting trial, rapes their domestic partner. Danger to others in the prison?

1 Like

Nah heā€™s the alpha male donā€™t you know? Heā€™ll definitely be able to beat all of them.

When youā€™ve read all his books several times, come back to me.

Iā€™m sure I havenā€™t read his books more than you, but I have read him enough to be reasonably sure that the passage you quote is an ironic commentary on the absurdity of capital punishment, not an endorsement of it.

1 Like

Scenario 1. I murder and the punishment is being shot.
Scenario 2. I murder and sandle wearing flowery skirt attired do-gooders talk to me about it for a few years whilst Iā€™m housed, fed and kept warm.

Preference?

Our thermostat is set at 16 degrees, fucking freezing. Bet you Ā£100 (which you wonā€™t do) that prisons have a far left recommendation of 20 degrees and weā€™re paying for it. As an example.

Correct and evidently so.

So your view, based on his books, is that Terry Pratchett, was an advocate of the death penalty?

A yes/no reply will do.

Far left recommendation. Who has been in power for 12 years?

You look absolutely ridiculous in this discussion. Stop cosplaying as Chigurh and find your way back to reality.

3 Likes

Trans woman rapist Isla Bryson will not serve her prison sentence at Cornton Vale womenā€™s prison, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said on Thursday.

Speaking at FMQs in the Scottish Parliament, Sturgeon said: ā€œThe risk assessment is under way. However, as in all cases, the Scottish Prison Service will not wait until an assessment is completed if they think action is required more quickly ā€“ and this prisoner is not going to be incarcerated in Cornton Vale womenā€™s prison.

1 Like

Why is everything about money with you? It seems your anger dials up a few notches when the conversation turns to the personal monetary cost of something, through taxes, to you. You and @Dane must get along like a house on fire. Obviously in a non-homosexual way.

2 Likes

I have to say, Iā€™m surprised to see @Klopptimist feeling sympathy for people who canā€™t pay their heating bills. His usual response is that should have not been lazy, and just worked harder like he did.

1 Like

I find that response quite problematic. Does this imply as per my previous example that no rapists are held in womenā€™s prisons, or is this simply a knee-jerk reaction to the media coverage?

Iā€™m not sure where Bryson is currently detained, but if theyā€™re already in Cornton Vale, then has something happened between the initial detention and now to suggest that ā€œaction is required more quicklyā€, or is it entirely because of the backlash thatā€™s occurring in the media?

Iā€™ve no idea what his stance was. I like the quote from the character which is why I posted it. Terry was probably against CP, he was more gentle and kind than me. So no. But think about this. When I write a book, your twin will be in it just for giggles. Does that make me a Mao loving Marxist?

Ever paid a Ā£20k tax bill because you almost killed yourself working so hard?

Didnā€™t think so.

Youā€™re getting the hang of this finally.

Iā€™ve read all his books at least twice and all of the Discworld books three times.

I agree with @Mascot

Agreed - I do not see how Sturgeon can square this with the assertions ā€˜trans women are womenā€™ and ā€˜there are no risks to gender self-identificationā€™

3 Likes