UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

I can tell you that many who are of that generation felt lied to about the reasons for joining and the scope of what our membership was to be, my Dad included.

It’s also worth bearing in mind that we were taken into the EEC, as it was then, without the consent of the electorate. The referendum on our continuing membership only happened afterwards, which heavily swayed the outcome.

BBC reporting;

Boris Johnson is expected to make a statement outside Downing Street at 12.30 BST confirming his resignation as Conservative leader.

1 Like

I nicknamed him Tug-on-that, a moniker I’m disappointed hasn’t gained wider traction…ahem

1 Like

In case anyone missed it

4 Likes

Felt lied to and actually being lied to are two different things

A pertinent example would be what the Leave campaign said would be benefits of Brexit. That’s being lied to.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I know people very high up in finance who worked for the Bank of England at the time. They’re still sore about what Brown did!

Also worth recalling that it wasn’t all roses behind the scenes with Brown either. He was demonstrably a bully, worse than even Patel, and had a notorious temper.

The woman that Gordon Brown called a bigot actually is a nasty bigot and the only thing he did wrong is that he should have said it directly in her nasty bigoted face.

12 Likes

The first is more important when it comes to attitudes though.

Also, it’s very much a case of selecting narratives in support post hoc for something that went far beyond anything that could reasonably have been inferred at the time.

Maastricht, for example, the UK should have had a further referendum on that.

1 Like

How difficult is it to get a lectern set up correctly and lined up with the door.

1 Like

What crest is on the lectern?

HM Govt one as far as I can tell.

1 Like

Yes I can’t deny that. This can clearly build up grievances

1 Like

It is like a wedding and a funeral gathering combined in downing street

Dearly departed…

Says he will serve as a leader until a replacement is sorted - timetable to be shared next week or so. Then the usual expected stuff…so far

Would you like to elaborate on that?

As far as I can tell, the Conservatives campaigned on EEC membership in 1970 and won. Given your previous support for general elections as expressing desires for party manifestos to be enacted, I think you can’t argue against a democratic mandate for joining the EEC. Note that according to FullFact, the concept of “ever closer union” has been in there from the beginning.

Now, I can’t actually remember what the wording of the specific positions campaigned on for the first referendum was, but I remember it was discussed in the previous incarnation of this thread, where it was demonstrably proven that the increasing integration was very much part of the campaign.

3 Likes

Sledging!! :sweat_smile: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :joy:

I believe there was an opinion piece from Edward Heath that expressed that notion. At least that’s what I’ve seen referred to previously.

But it’s a matter of degree. Mission creep, if you like.

1 Like

“I want the thank Carrie and my children…”

Thank god he didn’t decide to try to name them.

4 Likes