UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Again, works in certain cases, not others. And it’s not about “slacking off”. At all. Personally, I need those mini breaks during the workday to recharge. Four day work week would mean intense focus with no room for anything else (for me at least) on those days.

Will dig out some shift schedules - companies are becoming ever more flexible to entice recruitment

2 Likes

Classic @Klopptimist response to something he doesn’t understand.

1 Like

Or this

For the record many years ago when I heard my current work place went to a 4 day week I was sceptical. That came from working on major civil engineering projects where the working day is nuts and being honest slave labour. The amount of unpaid labour they got from me is bonkers

Once you understand it you see the benefits. My view changed.

Well, you’ve trumped me to be fair. I was wondering what world she lives in

2 Likes

The same one as @Klopptimist maybe? :wink:

In other news, working harder and being better educated tends to lead to more pay. Stunning news I know.

While not applicable to all industries, the most appealing shift pattern I observed was when attending a site that operated a shift system to cover a non-stop for 24/7, 350 days a year relentless production processing line. A 12hr working shift was decided upon to limit number of handover procedures.
2no teams covered days - Yellow Team + Green Team Days
2no teams covered nights - Yellow Team + Green Team Nights
On job application they applied for a daytime or night-time position’
Once allocated to a team, they remained in that team for the entire duration of employment. Night payment rates equated to 30% higher than day payment rates
12hr shift pattern for every worker was as follows:
3 days on - 2days off - 2days on - 3days off - 2days on - 2days off - Repeat sequence.
This totalled 84 working hours every 14days (42hr week)
This left humongous opportunity for the workers to get quite savvy in booking 2 or 3 day pockets of annual holiday entitlement, smack in the middle of the shift rota, so in a lot of cases this gave them a 7-10days at home and only having to use 2-3days holiday quota.
The company had one stipulation when booking holidays like this…
A substitute worker replacement had to be organised by the person taking the holiday… but this substitute worker had to be from the opposing team.
This meant, for every stand-in replacement, they were paid at the hourly premium (overtime) rate of 50% above normal OR 100% if it was worked during the Sunday shifts.
The company could have got a bigger pool of full-time employees to cover these periods at the normal rate, but the company believed in giving something back to these people.
In over15yrs the company had not had a single employee leave for reasons of finding a better job elsewhere, and people sort of policed themselves, and brought any miscreants to task quite quickly if they were putting at risk the company production targets set for each month.
Like I mentioned, the shift pattern won’t suit every industry, but more and more company’s are having to find better ways to accommodate for good staff far more than they ever did decades back.

3 Likes

Hate to break it to you…that’s frequently not the case

“The highest-earning 1 per cent and the brainiest 1 per cent seem to be two largely separate groups, with little overlap…
It’s no wonder that cleverness barely predicts top incomes, because so many other factors matter more in working life. There’s luck, family background, motivation, self-regulation, skill at office politics and even height.”

The one per cent are not as clever as they think - The one per cent are not as clever as they think

4 Likes

Fify

Yup.
I have zero educational qualifications, unless you count woodwork O level, and have done rather better than most further educated and university degree holders I went to school with

Those statistical models actually perform a good deal better if one simply counts military service as a form of educational qualification in its own right.

1 Like

I notice Humza Yousaf somehow managed to miss the Gay Marriage vote. Did it just slip his memory I wonder? :thinking:

Doctors. nurses, dentists, vets, solicitors etc etc etc.

That’s blatantly not true. Boris Johnson, who has never worked a full day or even week in his whole life earned over £80k as PM and has subsequently earned over £1.5m for talking for a little bit. His previous jobs included earning £250k as a journalist who wrote made up articles.

Bankers can earn obscene money. They work long hours to be fair but so does a junior doctor or a GP.

Effort and hours are not returned in kind.

1 Like

Not everyone gets the educational opportunities to be in those professions, even if they are hardworking and smart enough. Accident of birth and luck play a huge part.

Selectively pointing out an objectionable waste of oxygen (BJ) does not make me wrong.

If I thought it was necessary I’d do the research on academic achievement vs lifelong earnings on average. I suspect there’s no point.

Branson had no qualifications and became a billionaire . Not the norm, just the exception.

I used to work a 4x4 shift, for about 3 years. then I talked management into a 4/3/3/4 rotation bi-weekly with my shift opposite. we both had young kids so a regular work scheduled helped a ton. looked like this:

3 Likes

What was coming into play with these 12hr days worked consecutively was that some of the ‘job’s worth’ health and safety officers were becoming opposed to this practice… One of their favourite gripes was in stating that after condensing a certain number of working hours across a short timeline… that if these workers then drove home and hit a tree because they were tired, then the company could be held responsible for the accident…!!!
I mean… yeah right.
H&S eh, give them a title and they become a law to themselves

1 Like

Imagine. Trying to keep people safe at work. Bastards.

2 Likes