UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

I think some people have a problem with him being a fan of clubs he have played for, but for me that is a positive and not a negative. It would be awful if all studio personalities had been Liverpool fans imo.

4 Likes

No! :nerd_face:

Since this has all surfaced… there are loads of people coming forward itemising all the good charity work Lineker undertakes… paying for children’s cancer treatments and the like out of his own pocket… yet never sings any of this from the rooftops for personal accolade

4 Likes

Why would he?
The percentage of his earnings that he donates to charities and good causes is probably similar to the percentage that average working people donate.

When people make comparisons with what went on in Germany in the 1930s, I refer to these words from the Auschwitz Museum to judge if there is some truth in their claim. https://t.co/6Sm5CKhkqY

— Billy Bragg (@billybragg) March 12, 2023

Auschwitz was at the end of a long process. We must remember that it did not start from gas chambers.

This hatred gradually developed from ideas, words, stereotypes & prejudice through legal exclusion, dehumanization & escalating violence.

It took time. #GenocidePreventionDay pic.twitter.com/vFVaECdKFG

— Auschwitz Memorial (@AuschwitzMuseum) December 9, 2022
7 Likes

Archer?

1 Like

You’re getting closer. It is a derivative of a ‘tradesman’ name. :nerd_face:

Sparkie?

Plummer…?

1 Like

The BBC Director General Tim Davie has announced there will be review, led by an independent expert reporting to the BBC, on its existing social media guidance, with a particular focus on how it applies to freelancers outside news and current affairs.

The director general says the BBC and Gary are “in favour of such a review.”

The BBC’s current social media guidance will remain in place while the work is completed and who will carry the review out will be announced “shortly”, Davie adds.

1 Like

Possibly should be on the Breaking News thread but here is Lineker’s response:

I think Lineker comes out of this quite well. Hopefully, it is also to the BBC’s advantage as well.

12 Likes

Cooper, Fletcher, Boxer, Butcher ?

1 Like

Mason???

2 Likes

Potato?

No :nerd_face:

Nope :nerd_face:

Archer and Fletcher are the closest so far. :+1::nerd_face:

Border? Harper? Tanner?

There’s hundreds!

1 Like

It’s Sword which is derived from Seward which was an old name for an armourer. In the BBC telly series ‘Merlin’ there was an armourer called Seward.
In the first unit I was in my best mate was an armourer. His surname was Glass (an everyday noun) which nobody could spell. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

English name politics!

2 Likes