UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

If you can win a solid majority simply by winning Greater London and the South, why do otherwise? Just focus policy and electoral campaigns on winning London. Who cares what those uneducated proles in the old ‘Red Wall’ think? The Islington majority alone of 35,000 more than offsets the differential in most of those 12 seats. Focus public spending on that majority and be done with it.

Proportional representation accentuates regional disparity of access to power and the urban/rural divide.

2 Likes

I want Boris to swing. Exactly which of his misdemeanours have I excused? Or the party as a whole? I’ll wait. You have a presumption of the person I am, you don’t (or won’t) know me.

My posts haunting your dreams? Seemingly rent free.

It was from Spitting Image.

Or even an extra asterisk - only by comparison to the last three jokers.

Except any kind of ‘anti north proles’ policies wouldn’t get the backing of the (significant) progressive voters down south. Some form of proportional representation (even removing FPTP) would be a massive step forward.

1 Like

The richest people in the world tend to also be the greediest.

2 Likes

Jesus.
Just read 3 days worth of this since my last log in.
I definitely prefer dogs to humans

1 Like

Yank Big Fish GIF by SA Company

Oh, are you upset I’m making judgements about your politics based on your posts?

Meanwhile, you’ll happily call me a communist, to the left of Mao, a trot, and any other insulting term the right tend to unthinkingly lob at anyone who politically speaking would like to (for example) do something about poor people freezing to death.

Consistency, mate.

On the Tory misdemeanours thing, this is the problem. You’re still approaching the last near decade as if it’s a Boris problem. One bad egg. Boris isn’t the sickness, he is the symptom. The Conservative party saw fit to install a serial lying, racist, narcissistic, sociopath as the leader of the party. Then a women so fucking dim, it took her a week to destroy the economy.

You seem willing to give Sunak every chance, despite him being part of a government that has fucked everything they’ve touched. Eat out to help out was his scheme, and I’ve seen estimates that it might have cost 50,000 lives. He was fined for breaking lockdown rules. He lied about his non dom status while the chancellor, presumably was content for his wife to do the same, and only this week, he may have thought it was clever to bury his tax returns on the day Boris got skewered, but it still showed he only paid about 20% on his vast income.

But here you are batting your eyelashes at him like a lovestruck schoolgirl, while gleefully boasting how you won’t even give Labour a day in power before putting the boot in.

But no, definitely not a Tory.

3 Likes

But that’s pretty much the Tories now?

Anyway, in a transferable vote system, you are still electing MPs. You are just making sure that MPs can’t get in on a 30% approval.

1 Like

I might pop into the fishing thread and make a snarky comment at people talking about fishing.

1 Like

Just so I understand, has Rishi Sunak ever claimed non-domicile status? Or was it just his wife? I wouldn’t think he could be a sitting MP if he was claiming non-domicile status in the UK. After all, although its very specifically about tax affairs, your domicile really is about identifying what nationality you are, when things like the tax residency test doesn’t provide a clear outcome.

1 Like

I’ve just had a scout around and I’m probably getting confused with him holding a Green Card, and thus declaring his intention to remain a US citizen, even though he was Chancellor of the Exchequer.

On the tax stuff, the reveal that he only paid 22% on his income last year is properly staggering. The Prime Minister salary is about 164k a year, and he will have definitely paid 40% on the majority of that. So for the rest of his considerable income (most of it capital gains on investments), he is paying much less than 20%.

The problem is that we balance tax unfairly. High tax on income, but barely anything on wealth. Income from investments, property, and wealth should be taxed much, much higher.

This is something Labour seem to be moving towards.

6 Likes

Terrible if you are someone who relies on the NHS. Brilliant news if you are a profiteering Tory scumbag.

PMQs between the deputies. Should be fun. Live on 5 Live.

1 Like

She’s already a billion times more engaging than Starmer.

Should be me asking that question, not the second coming of Baldrick. Lexit……

To be clear, I am not against PR in one form or another - FPTP has clear flaws of its own. Just observing that true PR has a known property that leads to certain cleavages not being effectively represented.

As for the direction of UK policy and spending, I don’t think Conservative spending follows quite that London logic, precisely because they don’t mind seeing Labour ‘waste’ votes in urban London if they can outcompete them in the broader South.

1 Like

Boris Johnson would never allow this.

Mhairi Black :0)

1 Like