UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

That is literally what you have done with your bending-over-backwards defence of Sunak and his tax dodging activities.

Maybe he didn’t know it was immoral to use these loopholes as a chancellor until the point he was outed? He shouldn’t have been chancellor in the first place.

Basically telling us you’re a Tory without explicitly stating you are a Tory.

2 Likes

Only a few of them.

I’m wondering how that would show up in the stats. I’m assuming that there would be an increase in cardiovascular CoDs but that might be hidden slightly by those who actually did die of Covid. The data I work with now is people who are already infirm so it’s not really representative of the population as a whole.

One curious stat that seems to have shown up internationally is an increase in deaths due to alcohol during Lockdowns. Obviously that isn’t directly related to Covid but in terms of public health interventions, did it have any relationship to the length and severity of lockdowns and the closure of non essential shops and leisure facilities.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Who on earth decided he was worthy of a knighthood?

EDIT: It gets worse:

John Hayes, who was previously a government minister at the climate change department, suggested that fear of the heat was everything wrong with modern Britain and “the state in which we now live”.

Sir John has previously been described as a climate change sceptic and recently contributed to a report calling for climate action to be delayed.

The Tory party, ladies and gentlemen.

2 Likes

On other, slightly more minor issues of government competency and integrity:

3 Likes

I can’t find the picture (think I posted it on the old place) of a letter sent to all schools during the war. Explained that in the event of land invasion, schools were to remain open. I’ll post it here when I’m back in the school that has a copy. Shutting schools because it’s hot is loopy.

And yet it was done in Australia.

The day was regularly cut short in the Summer when I lived there.

3 Likes

Am I right in thinking it was very hot in Aus for prolonged periods? We’re talking 2 days here. Jnr can go in PE kit which is as well as there was no way a blazer was being worn. We’ve had schools closed for far too long here, easy to let it become a common thing. If needed, start earlier and finish at lunch but don’t just throw random days off.

We’ve had rules like that for decades in Germany, started in the 19th century. This isn’t some ‘modern, snowflaky’ idea. Actually it’s used less today than in the past.

10 Likes

The vast majority of schools don’t have air-conditioning. Excessive heat is far more dangerous to children than war.

6 Likes

Depends where you go. We were in Adelaide which could get fry an egg on the pavement hot but not to the same levels as elsewhere.

The rule was if the temp. topped 36 Deg C we went home early. Simple as.

2 Likes

Did you normally start early and leave at lunch? I know that’s done in parts.

Hitzefrei!

It’s really easy. If the temperature in the classroom is above 27° schools close and everyone runs to the nearest beach, lake or river.

What’s not to like?

1 Like

Nope, normal start time but ended up going home at least an hour early.

Worth noting I don’t remember it happening more than a couple of days in a row and only in February. We were off school (Christmas and Summer hols) all January.

I’m struggling to see the relevance.

1 Like

Tbf, snowflakes do need to stay away from the heat.

1 Like

An army actually invades the country on land with troops and we keep the schools open. The people who had that spirit would laugh at us closing schools because it was too hot.

But gammons taste better when they get very hot. There’s a conundrum. Hopefully wrapped in bacon.

They literally evacuated all the children to the countryside.

I was in Lingen in Germany when the temperatures hit 42°C in 2019. Anyone not working in an air conditioned location was told to stay inside, avoid vigorous activity and go to the cellars if they couldn’t cope. I had experienced similar temperatures in the Australian outback but that was pretty much zero humidity and only for 15 minutes. Once it’s humid and all day it’s brutal.

3 Likes